Just for the SOUND of it!!!!

I can't figure people out. They want high-pitched engines in F1 and deep bass in stock cars.

They all sound the same with my headset on.

I can't figure people out. They want high-pitched engines in F1 and deep bass in stock cars.

The engines are designed differently, have different numbers of cylinders, size of the engine and parts for said engine, etc. Gearheads can appreciate it. Others may just not understand.

If NASCAR got rid of the large v8 and went to a turbo 4 or 6, it better sound like the above...

Last edited:

I like a lot of different engine sounds, they all have their place in the world. F1` is on another level with their engines, insane RPM with small displacement like the one I posted here and they just sound bad ass to me.

Same with the Super Late models, 360/410 Sprints and NASCAR engines all have their sweet spot for sound that I love. It is the mechanical wonder of it all staying together lap after lap. That a naturally aspirated push rod engine can live at 6500 to 9200 RPM lap after lap for 500 laps or miles is amazing.

As a boy l walked the school hallways. My mind became and an engine become one, as I made the engine sounds. I zipped through the RPMs between catching my breath and changing gears. As I was running out breath I was sounding off the higher rpms.
It was my own little world, having the greastest time.

I know l am not the only one.

As a boy l walked the school hallways. My mind became and an engine become one, as I made the engine sounds. I zipped through the RPMs between catching my breath and changing gears. As I was running out breath I was sounding off the higher rpms.

I broad slide the shopping cart :idunno: I don't know how many gears the thing has..many

Hell, I'm 30 and still do that.

Which reminds me:

The higher the red line the more it sounds like an insect - it's just the nature of an engine. Plus the number of cylinders affect the song. The movie Gran Prix has the best sound track of any racing movie (time to watch that one again).

I've posted this before, if you'd like to hear 33 different cool cars startup give it a listen:

They lost a lot IMO when they got away from manual shifting. Now it is a constant scree when the computer crams it into gear without a clutch.

Those cars are still manual and have a clutch, that’s how they start the race. It uses paddle shifters though and not a stick

Those cars are still manual and have a clutch, that’s how they start the race. It uses paddle shifters though and not a stick
I know that. Manual? Electronic gear selection in an automated manual transmission is what they call it, The clutch is never used except for stopping and starting. Much different sounds and driving skill when a driver has to brake, clutch, downshift and select a gear instead of braking and squeezing a paddle.

I prefer the sound of a V8 but I appreciate the sound of any performance engine. My classic car has a 390 with glass packs, it's a bit loud for a personal luxury car ('65 T-bird) but it sounds good to me.

In high school my Nova had just the headers, cherry bombs, and no pipes. It was fairly mild just idling, l rolled as much as possible through the neighborhood during the late hours and driving in city limits to avoid tickets.

It was incredibly loud revving through the gears.

I like the sound of the V6s, I think its actually pretty darn good. Also, I think with the 2021 regulations and the possible removal of the MGU-H will make a considerable difference in sound. It will not sound as robotic as it does now and a slight bump in displacement will make a difference IMO. The RPM being maxed out at 12,000 and will go up to 15,000 RPM come 2021. I expect a big change in audio come '21.

I love the sound of older cars, I was fond of Honda's V10 between 02-04. BMW as well during the Schumacher/Montoya era. The V8s were great, but honestly my favorite engine is probably the inline-4 of that Brabham BMW when Piquet won his championship. Lamborghini V12 was epic as well, so I mean I love the past. I love the sound made by today's engines, just that hybrid system need to go.

In high school my Nova had just the headers, cherry bombs, and no pipes. It was fairly mild just idling, l rolled as much as possible through the neighborhood during the late hours and driving in city limits to avoid tickets.

I had a set of Smitty's on my 1967 Comet Cyclone that I had put on a week after it came off of the showroom floor. Talking about rattling some windows if I wanted to. I got tired of getting tickets so I had the mufflers reinstalled and installed cable operated cutouts for the Smitty's.

My '77 IH Scout came with Cherry Bombs from the factory. It was a Midas Muffler spec truck (for their executives according to my dad who sold IH trucks); the Midas version was top of the line with every option plus unique options (I got a used one). When I took it to my local Midas shop to replace the exhaust system, they showed me their book showing the two muffler options (regular and Cherry Bombs). They were loud when you started the truck but had a nice sound when the Cherry Bombs warmed up.

I had a set of Smitty's on my 1967 Comet Cyclone that I had put on a week after it came off of the showroom floor. Talking about rattling some windows if I wanted to. I got tired of getting tickets so I had the mufflers reinstalled and installed cable operated cutouts for the Smitty's.
My '77 IH Scout came with Cherry Bombs from the factory. It was a Midas Muffler spec truck (for their executives according to my dad who sold IH trucks); the Midas version was top of the line with every option plus unique options (I got a used one). When I took it to my local Midas shop to replace the exhaust system, they showed me their book showing the two muffler options (regular and Cherry Bombs). They were loud when you started the truck but had a nice sound when the Cherry Bombs warmed up.

These are the type of mufflers I had. I didnt have the chrome or the girls. Just the headers and Thrush mufflers. I sawed off the pre-exiting pipes, but left a short tailpipe. I was just a high school kid, at the time l thought leaving the tailpipes would fool the cops.
Vintage muffler poster.jpg

I know that. Manual? Electronic gear selection in an automated manual transmission is what they call it, The clutch is never used except for stopping and starting. Much different sounds and driving skill when a driver has to brake, clutch, downshift and select a gear instead of braking and squeezing a paddle.
I gotta admit, I miss them having to use the clutch for every shift, a lot more than I care about 'stick vs. paddles' debate. I really miss it at road courses.

Back in the day I had a Honda (90cc I think). My dad didnt drink much but after a few one Saturday, he decided we needed to make it louder.
We put a long skinny (about 1') straight pipe on it, and man it was loud. I loved it.
I was about 14 or 15 at the time and usually road streets within a one mile radius of home and I tore it with my loud pipe. After my dads buzz wore off he told me we needed to reinstall the stock muffler before the neighbors called the law.

It was fun while it lasted.

Back
Top Bottom