Justin Wilson In, Antonio Pizzonia Out at Jaguar

N

NateDogg

Justin Wilson In, Antonio Pizzonia Out at Jaguar
Written by: RACER staff
Silverstone, England – 7/21/2003

Britain’s Justin Wilson has joined Jaguar Racing, effective immediately, and will replace fellow Formula 1 rookie Brazil's Antonio Pizzonia from the German Grand Prix on Aug. 3 onward. Minardi, meanwhile, has revealed Danish Formula 3000 racer Nicolas Kiesa as Wilson’s replacement (click here for story).

The 24-year-old Wilson will partner Mark Webber for the rest of the season at Jaguar, as the British team has decided that Pizzonia has not done enough to keep his race seat. The Brazilian will be offered a role as reserve and test driver, but has yet to make a decision.

"We are delighted to have Justin join us for the remainder of the 2003 season in what is a richly deserved opportunity," said Jaguar Racing's managing director David Pitchforth. "In the Jaguar R4 we clearly have a competitive car and one that has helped Mark Webber secure 12 points, thereby taking the team to sixth place in the constructors' championship. With five races left on the calendar, it is critical that we are maximizing our potential with two race cars."

Wilson, the 2001 Formula 3000 champion, has a best result of 11th place in Spain so far this season with F1's smallest team. His deal is for the remainder of the season, but "with options for future years," according to a Jaguar release.

Pizzonia was dropped because, according to Jaguar, he "has not been able to realize his potential with the team" and therefore "it is neither in his best interests, nor the team's, for Antonio to continue driving as a full-time race driver at this time."

Well I think we all saw this coming, it was a matter of who will replace the Brazilian. Wilson is far fetched choice in my mind, he is way to tall to race F1 and I think his height will ruin development of the car, because now they have to think about getting their driver to fit. Nicholas Kiesa is a very good choice by Minardi I believe, and I can't wait to see him run an F1 car.

I kinda ansered this in the other thread but I think WIlson was faster than the Minardi. He will definatly put some points up on the board. ALthough, I think Jag would have been better with Wurz from earlier this year. The fastest rider in world superbike is a 6'3" spainard. Size may hinder development but there is no getting around that he has talent.

I want to see what Kiesa can do. I am wondering if Pizzonia will end up in Cart next year?

I have almost no doubt Wilson will be fast in that Jag, but Kiesa is the one to watch. He is definitely know for daring passes and his speed in F3000 but can he bring it to F1? Almost certainly I think but a lot of people choke when they get under the light, like Verstappen, Herbert and most recently Pizzonia.

Back
Top Bottom