Kenseth fails post race insp

racer8

Team Owner
Kenseth fails post-race inspection: ESPN.com's Bob Pockrass reports, "Tech is done. Kenseth's car failed laser tech postrace. Stewart passed postrace." Failing laser tech has been a 15-point penalty this year.(7-17-2016)
saw this on Jayski

15 points to someone who already in the chase or cheat and win the money. It would be worth cheating every time. In my opinion if you pass tech before and fail post race, not including damage from a wreck, last place finish and an additional 15 points docked.

I like the pre-race inspection process. I have no idea of the purpose of the post-race laser inspection.

You race the hell out of the car all day after passing inspection. Post-race, all that should be required is a weigh-in and roof and ride-height checks. Oh ... and lug-nuts. :rolleyes:

Just my own opinion, of course.

Odd that if an official sees slam the side panel during the race you usually get lap down for the drive thru which today would have cost you 25 points, but if they catch you post race the penalty still allows you to win and costs less points. Sounds about right!

Experimental set up. No question. :p

Would be a 10 page thread full of whining if it were Jimmie and Chad.

Take the win away, Geez, just a small penalty to cheat? Then the 43 or 10 car ( just an example) should pull a string just as the race starts and the car explodes like the car in the Blues Brothers at the end of the movie. Nothing but a 1200 pound shell left and he/she whoomps the field and then gets a small insignificant penalty at the end. This sounds just like the FBI and our useless government hard at work. Gibbs cheating? NBC quote last year when kyle returned " It's just like they flipped a switch and all the gibbs cars are fast now.........yeah right.... Is NBC biased toward toyoter? ...................naw..........yeah right....... well maybe........ and the stands and ratings continue to be decline...
The 20 is already "IN" but finishing 40th would really make teams wonder how much they should "cheat", or give him the Win and kick him out of the chase and make him re-earn it, legally.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's time to start actually punishing teams for cheating instead of making them sit in a corner for 5 minutes. If a team wins and fails post-race inspection, give them 0 points and not have their win count towards the Chase. Also suspend the crew chief for at least 1 race. Fining teams does no good as they have PLENTY of money and even a $100,000 fine is chump change to them. Hit them where it really hurts.

It's time to start actually punishing teams for cheating instead of making them sit in a corner for 5 minutes. If a team wins and fails post-race inspection, give them 0 points and not have their win count towards the Chase. Also suspend the crew chief for at least 1 race. Fining teams does no good as they have PLENTY of money and even a $100,000 fine is chump change to them. Hit them where it really hurts.

...and you leave the track never sure who really won? My first race of any kind....'95 Portland International.....Huge Al Unser Jr. fan....First race, and he wins....until the win is taken away for a ride height violation. Worst feeling ever. BTW--Win was reinstated 6 months later. A complete and unnecessary cluster.

...and you leave the track never sure who really won? My first race of any kind....'95 Portland International.....Huge Al Unser Jr. fan....First race, and he wins....until the win is taken away for a ride height violation. Worst feeling ever. BTW--Win was reinstated 6 months later. A complete and unnecessary cluster.
I never said NASCAR should take the win away, but just to award them 0 points and not have the win count towards a Chase berth.

Do we know what the infraction was ? And why it wasn't detected in multiple prerace inspections?

There really isn't much reason not to bend the rules anymore once you have a win with this chase format. Deducting points doesn't mean anything since a win is all you need to get in, and in Matt's case even stripping the win wouldn't even knock him out of the chase. Just one of the many, many flaws with this format.

The car is "impounded" meaning what? pretty much nothing. Matt, hold your hands out so I can slap them. there now, dont you feel ashamed? Next week at Indy you get a 5 minute "time out" before the race. unless Hillary will pardon him.

Does anyone even know if they run the cars through laser inspection prior to the race? I've watched the pre-race inspection process up close several times at Martinsville. I don't recall anything being done other than template and weight distribution checks. The process they're talking about seems a lot more specific than that. I know they do extensive checking back in the r&d facility. That will be shown online tomorrow morning.

Does anyone even know if they run the cars through laser inspection prior to the race? I've watched the pre-race inspection process up close several times at Martinsville. I don't recall anything being done other than template and weight distribution checks. The process they're talking about seems a lot more specific than that. I know they do extensive checking back in the r&d facility. That will be shown online tomorrow morning.

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-...ascar-mobil1-technology-laser-inspection.html

Using the laser platform post-race is a recent development ... at the request of the teams. Fancy that.

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cu...-perfectly-legal-pole-car-failed-tech-676108/

Failing the post race inspection could also mean an on track incident could have knocked something out of spec. NASCAR will look at the car a determine if it was caused by a racing incident or if the team is "innovating". Post race inspection has uncovered an number of grey areas that became new rules.

I never said NASCAR should take the win away, but just to award them 0 points and not have the win count towards a Chase berth.

Apologies. Misread your post.

This kind of makes sense since Kenseth basically came from the back of the pack and was just flying by everyone yesterday. The other Toyotas were near the font but Kenseth really was in a league of his own yesterday.

Agreed with aunty dive ... post race inspection is silly. They should be able to check the cars over in pre-race and then be done with it. The cars get banged around during the race and you are not always going to have a car at the end of the day that fits pre-race specs. Nascar has cameras policing all of the cars for in-race infractions, so if anything happened on pit road it should have been addressed then.

NASCAR and the France family has always had it in for Kenseth in my opinion ... not sure why exactly, other than that he's not a good ol' boy from the south, and beat out their golden boy, Dale Jr. for the rookie of the year way back when. Matt wins the Championship back in 03', but Nascar didn't feel Matt won enough races for their liking so they changed the rules. The 2 race suspension last year was a farce ... Gordon, Vickers, Danica and countless others had intentionally wrecked other drivers ... never a single suspension, until Matt did it. They thro the book at him. Then yesterday Matt breaks the Penske win streak and rains on the France family parade .. congrats Matt .. you failed post race laser inspection.
This kind of makes sense since Kenseth basically came from the back of the pack and was just flying by everyone yesterday. The other Toyotas were near the font but Kenseth really was in a league of his own yesterday.

Nevermind the fact that he took 4 tires, while most everyone else went with 2.

Agreed with aunty dive ... post race inspection is silly. They should be able to check the cars over in pre-race and then be done with it. The cars get banged around during the race and you are not always going to have a car at the end of the day that fits pre-race specs. Nascar has cameras policing all of the cars for in-race infractions, so if anything happened on pit road it should have been addressed then.

NASCAR and the France family has always had it in for Kenseth in my opinion ... not sure why exactly, other than that he's not a good ol' boy from the south, and beat out their golden boy, Dale Jr. for the rookie of the year way back when. Matt wins the Championship back in 03', but Nascar didn't feel Matt won enough races for their liking so they changed the rules. The 2 race suspension last year was a farce ... Gordon, Vickers, Danica and countless others had intentionally wrecked other drivers ... never a single suspension, until Matt did it. They thro the book at him. Then yesterday Matt breaks the Penske win streak and rains on the France family parade .. congrats Matt .. you failed post race laser inspection.

And the fact that he is really good at this track and is a great driver.

Hmmmm, so your sayin nascar can be biased? Never heard of that B4. Nascar has become a laughing stock with the ( former) die hard fans, sad but true. Point of fact from the past, Mark Martin won a Busch race on Saturday ( ixfinity now) back in the early 90's when the series ran V-6's. Post race inspection revealed the car had a 2 piece intake manifold which was illegal. They pulled his trophy, cash and placed him last in the field. Today they "fine" the team which we all know toyoter will gladly pay, probably even if it was 10 times the amount. So, who's really getting punished here? Absolutely nobody. So it pays to cheat. MATT is a good driver, i just dont like the way racing has been going lately with "money speaks. lets go places"

I'm going to politely disagree with you on this one because I can tell you're a fan of Kenseth's.

I don't think NASCAR has it in for Kenseth, after his championship in '03, NASCAR was critized by a lot of people inside and outside the sport that someone who only won 1 race could win the championship. This was already in addition to fans and promoters complaining that the last 3 weeks of racing were usually worthless because the championship had already been decided. So I think this was more of a business decision rather than a resentment toward Kenseth. At least Kenseth can claim to be the last champion under the old points system!

Also, Kenseth's wrecking of Logano was much different than what Gordon, Vickers, or Danica did. Kenseth took out the leader of the race and was 10 laps down. The other drivers were at least back in the field and were on the same lap or one lap behind the driver they took out. NASCAR had to react to the Kenseth situation otherwise things would have really gotten out of hand. If Logano weren't leading the race or Kenseth was on the lead lap, Kenseth would not have been suspended. Again, NASCAR had to protect the business and it wasn't a retaliation toward Kenseth. They would have suspended any other driver in the same way.

As for the post race inspection failure, it is what it is. He will get the standard fine and points taken away (I think we are at 15 pts and 25k fine, with his CC suspended for a race or put on probation) and life will continue.

If NASCAR really had it out for Kenseth, they would have never allowed him to win the championship in '03, they would have suspended him until after Daytona of the following year, and they would take away his victory from last Sunday, or they just would have kicked him out of NASCAR like Carl Long.

Back
Top Bottom