Kevin Harvick: ‘We’re better than Truex’ on 1.5-mile tracks

Seeing how he ran at short tracks last year, as well as at Martinsville this year, I have a hunch that this is going to change. ;)

I seriously think that Martin is getting better all the time ! I am aware that his equipment has improved, but he has too :booya: Some of the drivers just don't seem to ever excel at short tracks and road courses though.

I seriously think that Martin is getting better all the time ! I am aware that his equipment has improved, but he has too :booya: Some of the drivers just don't seem to ever excel at short tracks and road courses though.
Me too, and I kindly disagree with what you said about Kyle being the better driver by far. I believe they are closer than people want to believe. Kyle has the edge over him right now, but should Truex keep up with his winning ways and perhaps earn another Cup title and the grand scheme of things will have a a totally different look to it.

Truex has won at both road courses. Not many of the drivers can say that. ;) Not even Jimmie Johnson, actually. :eek:

Me too, and I kindly disagree with what you said about Kyle being the better driver by far. I believe they are closer than people want to believe. Kyle has the edge over him right now, but should Truex keep up with his winning ways and perhaps earn another Cup title and the grand scheme of things will have a a totally different look to it.

Truex has won at both road courses. Not many of the drivers can say that. ;) Not even Jimmie Johnson, actually. :eek:

Now see ! I was unaware that Martin has won at both road courses ........ so please accept my apology (even though Kyle is still a better driver) ;)

Now see ! I was unaware that Martin has won at both road courses ........ so please accept my apology (even though Kyle is still a better driver) ;)
Time will tell on that one, my dude! ;)

Yeah ........ Kyle has like over 170 total Nascar wins !! don't hold breath !!!
*Over 50% of them are Xfinity victories. :p
Interestingly enough, Truex has 3 championships versus Kyle's 2. Food for thought.
In 2 of them, Kyle finished 2nd to MTJ.

Cole Pearn.

1.5 mile tracks, as shown yesterday, comes down to more than driver.

Cole Pearn.

1.5 mile tracks, as shown yesterday, comes down to more than driver.

...and the way I watch, I love this. The beauty of motorsport IMO is in the ambiguity of the analysis of success--Is it car, driver, or crew chief? The answer is "Yes." FRR is a great story of a driver good enough to take advantage of one of the best crew chiefs in the garage and Toyota support. To compare drivers is pretty impossible IMO in isolation--but it is one hell of a lot of fun!

Honestly I attribute Truexs success to the car about 95%.. if he was as good as he seems he would have done much better at MWR.

On the flip side.. I attribute much of SHR's recent success to Harvick. I believe he is a much better driver than Truex.

I wonder something here. for me its clear that the 78 team had an advantage a very very special advantage, special because seldom does one last that long. I wonder if the 4 team knows what it was the 78 car had? Harvick would not say that unless they were certain they had something themselves and certain the 78 car no longer had something or had something as an advantage over them. We all know truex didn't become jimmie johnson overnight. so it had to be a car that is way way faster.

I wonder something here. for me its clear that the 78 team had an advantage a very very special advantage, special because seldom does one last that long. I wonder if the 4 team knows what it was the 78 car had? Harvick would not say that unless they were certain they had something themselves and certain the 78 car no longer had something or had something as an advantage over them. We all know truex didn't become jimmie johnson overnight. so it had to be a car that is way way faster.
Absolutely, you don't go from 3 wins in 10 years to 12 wins in 2 years without a substantial equipment advantage. BUT with that being said, I always thought Martin was a much better driver than given credit for in the pre-Pearn years.

The fact that he has never won on a short track speaks volumes as well. I'd put Joey heads up against Truex any time in the same equipment.
I subscribe with this thinking, I just always thought it took a more skilled driver to win on a short track than 1.5 miler or restrictor plate ( However Bobby Allison, Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon were very skillful at those places) dont know if its right thinking but its always what I thought.

I subscribe with this thinking, I just always thought it took a more skilled driver to win on a short track than 1.5 miler or restrictor plate ( However Bobby Allison, Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon were very skillful at those places) dont know if its right thinking but its always what I thought.
I never have. the ones that can win on both are where it is at for me. Takes planey of skill and big kahonas to run 200, not so much at 80

Doesn't take any skill to do this

^ A Cup trophy later and they still think all of the success should be attributed to Cole Pearn and the car. Cute.
There are other drivers who wouldn't be able to do what he has done in the same car.

..and there are some that could do more.

Not saying he's not good I just don't think he's as good as he's done or as some people give him credit for. Take that how you will.

I have to agree, Toyota has four cars and a backup that they throw all their resources into. It is pretty much a couple of factory sponsored teams. none of the other teams in Nascar have that model and until they showed up, that model wasn't allowed, at least not so blatantly. Truex is really consistent (good) and unlike his counterparts at Gibbs, they hardly make a mistake with their pit calls or penalties (when is the last time Truex had to do a pass thru or go to the end of the longest line) or racing mistakes.

Not saying he's not good I just don't think he's as good as he's done or as some people give him credit for. Take that how you will.
I honestly doubt that. JJ and KyBu are the only two drivers who could probably do a little bit more with that ride. Otherwise, Truex really has executed to near-perfection, if you take into account the quality of the field that he is racing against and how often he is right there in the top five or leading the race. ;)

I honestly doubt that. JJ and KyBu are the only two drivers who could probably do a little bit more with that ride. Otherwise, Truex really has executed to near-perfection, if you take into account the quality of the field that he is racing against and how often he is right there in the top five or leading the race. ;)

I don’t think Jimmie has it anymore. Maybe gonna derail the topic here but I’d say it’s Truex, Keselowski, Harvick, Logano, Ky Busch and Larson who I expect to win every weekend. Honestly cannot believe Austin Dillon has won 2 races in the last year

I have to agree, Toyota has four cars and a backup that they throw all their resources into. It is pretty much a couple of factory sponsored teams. none of the other teams in Nascar have that model and until they showed up, that model wasn't allowed, at least not so blatantly.
Gotta tell the whole story man-- TRD came in, and refused to cherry pick teams. So, in order to get Red Bull and MWR to play along they agreed to build the motors for them. In 2007, Gibbs was getting the finger from Chevy because his name was not Rick Hendrick. At that time, JGR cut the deal with Toyota. Cronquist et al. were building the Toyotas for Gibbs in 2008. The plan was for Gibbs to be to Toyota what Rick Hendrick is to Chevy. Then, we had that little problem with the economy. JGR engine department was struggling with reliability. JGR reached out to TRD. TRD agreed. The rest is the real history. More reality for you....TRD is scrutinized all to hell by Toyota NA and the mothership in Japan. They have a budget. They operate within the budget like everybody else. If you took the TRD sign down in Costa Mesa (quick moment of pray that this never happens), the shop works just like any other really. The overinflated budget is Roush inspired bull****....but carry on. Sorry to interrupt. :lurk:
^ A Cup trophy later and they still think all of the success should be attributed to Cole Pearn and the car. Cute.
There are other drivers who wouldn't be able to do what he has done in the same car.
I agree.
Absolutely, you don't go from 3 wins in 10 years to 12 wins in 2 years without a substantial equipment advantage. BUT with that being said, I always thought Martin was a much better driver than given credit for in the pre-Pearn years.
You do if you were stuck in **** for the better part of your career.

Never thought I'd see the day when drivers would be disrespected because of a perceived unfair advantage because they were driving Toyotas. I remember when WE struggled to make the field. Just wow.

It’s cute that people still can’t accept Truex is a good driver.

He's got the hardware, now all he has to do is to continue being up front. I don't think FRR is going anywhere, anytime soon.

Truex and FRR are a heavy in the sport now, no one can deny that.

Last edited:

The dude won 8 races and the title last year. What more could someone else have done?

I don’t think Truex is the talent of a Busch or Harvick. But it’s obvious he’s a top level driver.

Back
Top Bottom