KOMA Modifieds at Ace Speedway 9/1/14

SpeedPagan

The iRacing Guru
Yesterday I went out to Ace Speedway (which was a 1.5 hour drive) to catch the KOMA Modified series. It's a new racing series that just started this year, and it's a regional touring series. I've been exposed to Modified racing before. I've been to Bowman Gray and I've attended a couple of Whelen Southern Modified races. To be honest, they haven't put on much of a show. However, I still love the cars (it's a very cool design) and my Northern friends are always raving about the modified races up North.

So I went to Ace Speedway, hoping to see something that's different from the WWE style of racing at Bowman Gray and the snore-fest of Whelen Southern Modified. KOMA Modified did not disappoint in the slightest! It was 125 laps of action packed racing. There were battles for first (mostly between Burt & Jason Myers and Tim Brown), there was battles mid-pack and even battles between the back markers.

Now the KOMA Modifieds differs from the Whelen series in that you have to do one pit stop during the race, there's no half-time so drivers could pit whenever they wanted to. They couldn't take on fuel and they could make adjustment to the cars if needed while in the pits. This really added in a lot of the excitement because you had some guys that pitted early in the race and they fought their way back up to the front. You had guys like the Myers Brothers, Tim Brown and John Boy pitting late in the race. It really was a race off of pit road when the leaders pitted.

There were some "Madhouse" action, like when one of the Myers brothers spun out John boy. However, John Boy did rally and was up in the front at the end of the race of the G-W-C finish. Oh yea, in this series, yellow laps do not count. So it was 125 laps of green flag racing.

At the end of the race, I was standing up screaming, yelling, cheering on the Myer brothers but sadly. Burt Myers ran out of fuel on turn 4 on the final lap. Remember? They couldn't take on fuel.

The only complaint I have about this series is 1) the long yellow flag. Now there were two instances where the long yellow were warranted. An oil slick was on the track near pit row entrance and then there was a wreck off of turn four that required two haulers to coordinate to pull the car back to the garage area. 2) Kind of wish they didn't have the you can't re-fuel rule. I know that fuel strategy is important in any racing series, but it'd be interesting for the leaders who came down pit row late in the race to decide whether or not they only wanted a splash of fuel or to add in a bit more.

However, other than those two complaints, I had a really good time and I'm already making plans to see the KOMA Modifieds at Orange County on October 11th.

Yellow laps not counting should be adopted in truck, nnw and cup. How many times have we seen a caution come out with 8-10-12 to go then a bunch of parade laps ending with a GWC? Or following a red flag another parade under yellow end with GWC?
Maybe just from the 3/4 mark of the race untill the end.

Yellow laps not counting should be adopted in truck, nnw and cup. How many times have we seen a caution come out with 8-10-12 to go then a bunch of parade laps ending with a GWC? Or following a red flag another parade under yellow end with GWC?

I wouldn't mind seeing them not counting yellow laps if they are 10 laps or less from the end

Ehh, I'd have to say no to that. the KOMA Back to School 125 took 2+ hours to complete. Imagine how long a 400 or 500 mile race would take if they didn't count caution laps? I think they shouldn't count the last 20 laps when the track is under caution.

I am thinking somewhere there has to be a logic to the no refueling rule.
Is it for safety, or maybe a way to restrict horsepower/cost.

I am thinking somewhere there has to be a logic to the no refueling rule.
Is it for safety, or maybe a way to restrict horsepower/cost.

My thinking is that it's either to restrict cost, for safety (since most Modified teams don't have the fancy-smacy gas cans that Sprint Cup teams use), or they have it to create drama and excitement. I mean fuel strategy should come into play in any race, but it still sucks that Burt Myers ran out of fuel when he was coming out of turn 4 on the last lap.

So apparently the no re-fuel rule was done for safety.

From Reddit:

The no fueling rule is for safety. Pit stops during big non-tour modified races are pure chaos. It's a bunch of amateur crews with no real rules to follow. A lot of tracks don't have real pit roads, so the cars pull off the track and go where the trailers are. It's dimly light, there are people (fans) everywhere, and no real way to enforce speed limits. Also, they don't usually limit the number of crew members. It is not uncommon to change all 4 tires at once. A jack under each nerf bar and a guy balancing the car by the front bumper. Then a tire changer and carrier for each wheel. It's kind of like a redneck F1 pit stop.

Back
Top Bottom