Kurt Busch Hall of Famer

Cholo

Team Owner
Granted I'm biased since he's my favorite driver but I thought he was in well before this Daytona victory.

Interested to hear thoughts from the rest of the board.

29 career wins with three different teams
2004 Champion
2017 Daytona 500

He's also won Darlington, Coca Cola 600, truck and xfinity races, took Furniture Row to their first chase, Top 5 at the Indy 500.

I think he'll win 7 - 12 more races even if he doesn't I think he's a lock.

I think he's close. A few more wins and one or two more deep "playoff" runs should cement his place in my book.

Wayyyyyy to early IMO. I mean not that he doesn't eventually deserve a spot, but active drivers shouldn't even be considered, unless the've been driving for like 40 years.

Premature induction.

Before they're done, banana and mayonnaise sandwiches will be nominated for a spot in the hall.

Yeah he gets in, maybe not right away because of the anger issues he had, but he gets in sooner or later.

He should be in comfortably. Outside of his meltdowns he has always been a solid driver.

I dont think that winning the Daytona 500 should be a barometer on whether one should get in or not.

If anything, it should count against.

Yeah, I wondered about that:

Should a Cup title be enough to admit a driver in the HOF?

I can't think of any cup champs who didn't have the body of work outside their title. The new format though anything could happen. If Truex had won the title last year then faded into obscurity I don't think he'd be a hall of famer.

He already has 21 wins and probably a bunch more to come. Combine that with a title he should be in.

Bobby Labonte won a championship and finished with 21 wins it will be interesting to see if he gets in.

Guys who could win a title but are low on the win totals are Bowyer (8) Truex (7). I just can't see voting one of them in if they win a title in this weird format but never climb the list win wise.

As long as he doesn't have any more bizarre nude breakdowns after watching Brad Pitt movies, I'd say he's easily in.

As long as he doesn't have any more bizarre nude breakdowns after watching Brad Pitt movies, I'd say he's easily in.

Haha man I had to laugh. It's pretty crazy the career he's had. Sometimes I think back to him winning the title in 2004 and can't help but think of what could have been. People forget he won his title before Jimmy Johnson had one. Roush was also a powerhouse back then unlike now.

The move to Penske seemed like a good move at the time but they had a lot of down years while he was there. The departure from there should have ended his career but after a year in the 51 and racing the 78 to the chase he got another top ride.

Sometimes I think if he had his head on straight would he still be in the 97 up over 50 career wins but on the flip side I'm just glad he still has a top ride. Like I'd mentioned in another thread, the win last night was the best moment as a fan I've had. In 2004 I took it for granted when he won the title and figured he had many more in the future. After all the near misses at Daytona I really doubted I'd ever see him in victory lane there. Great time to be a fan.

Haha man I had to laugh. It's pretty crazy the career he's had. Sometimes I think back to him winning the title in 2004 and can't help but think of what could have been. People forget he won his title before Jimmy Johnson had one. Roush was also a powerhouse back then unlike now.

The move to Penske seemed like a good move at the time but they had a lot of down years while he was there. The departure from there should have ended his career but after a year in the 51 and racing the 78 to the chase he got another top ride.

Sometimes I think if he had his head on straight would he still be in the 97 up over 50 career wins but on the flip side I'm just glad he still has a top ride. Like I'd mentioned in another thread, the win last night was the best moment as a fan I've had. In 2004 I took it for granted when he won the title and figured he had many more in the future. After all the near misses at Daytona I really doubted I'd ever see him in victory lane there. Great time to be a fan.
Yep, he's had a crazy career. When he was driving that #51 I really never thought he'd make it back to the big time. He proved a lot of people wrong. 10-12 years ago I couldn't stand him. Now I enjoy watching him win. He's come a long way.

Guys who could win a title but are low on the win totals are Bowyer

Bowyer only gets in through his dreams.

He'll never get in. Most people think of Bowyer and they think of cheater/conspiracy and controversy.

Besides, he's on the tail end of his career so it's that much harder to make a comeback relevant enough to warrant HOF material.

Bowyer only gets in through his dreams.

He'll never get in. Most people think of Bowyer and they think of cheater/conspiracy and controversy.

Besides, he's on the tail end of his career so it's that much harder to make a comeback relevant enough to warrant HOF material.

Agree completely. That being said with this new format he could steal a championship. Doubtful but possible. I still wouldn't think he was a HOF candidate with a title considering he'll probably end his career with less than 15 wins.

Yep, he's had a crazy career. When he was driving that #51 I really never thought he'd make it back to the big time. He proved a lot of people wrong. 10-12 years ago I couldn't stand him. Now I enjoy watching him win. He's come a long way.

Those were some miserable times as a fan. I dreaded watching him roll around a lap or two down in that Phoenix Racing POS.

Never thought I'd find another driver to cheer for but my earliest race memories were watching Bill Elliott with my grandpa so I'm all in on the 24 once Kurt retires.

Kurt absolutely gets in, even before yesterday. Remember, there have been 68 cup series season but only 31 champions. It really is that hard to win a championship when people like Johnson, Earnhardt, Petty, Gordon, Stewart, Pearson and Yarborough can lock up over half the titles ever awarded.

Granted I'm biased since he's my favorite driver but I thought he was in well before this Daytona victory.

Interested to hear thoughts from the rest of the board.

29 career wins with three different teams
2004 Champion
2017 Daytona 500

He's also won Darlington, Coca Cola 600, truck and xfinity races, took Furniture Row to their first chase, Top 5 at the Indy 500.

I think he'll win 7 - 12 more races even if he doesn't I think he's a lock.

No brainer as Eddie Bierschwale and Jody Ridley will make so Kurt is a lock.

Not bad for a guy that was fired from Roush and Penske for being a douche.

I can't think of any cup champs who didn't have the body of work outside their title.
Only one I can think of is Kulwicki (only 5 career wins), but given the way he won his title just a few years after building his team from scratch, he'll be in soon. He's already come close.

No brainer as Eddie Bierschwale and Jody Ridley will make so Kurt is a lock.
I wonder why you keep repeating this sentiment about the Hall of Fame over and over. Perhaps it somehow fits your agenda? From the 8 induction classes, there are 24 drivers enshrined on Cup performance. Which of them deserve such derisive comparisons?

I agree that he will get in, it may take awhile after he retires, but at some point.

I wonder why you keep repeating this sentiment about the Hall of Fame over and over. Perhaps it somehow fits your agenda? From the 8 induction classes, there are 24 drivers enshrined on Cup performance. Which of them deserve such derisive comparisons?

1 driver each year may be sustainable.

Back
Top Bottom