Kurt Busch out at SHR after 2017

??? Explain

So basically he had an option under his current contract for 2018 Stewart-Haas does not have the commitment from Monster Energy yet to pick up that current contract what they're saying is they are still negotiating on a new contract contingent on the sponsorship from Monster of course. The reason they had to announce it at this time is because the deadline has passed.

I would be willing to bet he's back in the 41 next season. Unless he gets a better offer somewhere else. Not picking up his option does not mean he's out...it just means he's currently a free agent, and would have to renegotiate a new contract with SHR.

Here's the backstory:

Kurt's contract officially expires on August 1st (today). Legally, SHR either needs to commit to the extra year, or not commit by end of day today.

SHR will only commit to Kurt's current salary if Monster is still on board. If Monster is not on board, Kurt will likely have to take a pay cut. If Kurt declines a pay cut (or finds a better job), they will likely replace him, or lose the 41, or lose the 10 and keep the 41 blah blah blah.

Monster will not know and/or reveal their plans for 2018 at this particular time. It might be as late as January.

Sooooooooooo......SHR can't commit today (as legally required) without Monster's commitment. Therefor, they did not pick up his option. If Monster commits, all things will likely stay the same. If Monster does not commit, the ball's in Kurt's court. Stay for less, or find a new ride for more.

The article and headlines kinda make it more ominous than it really is...

If he really is gone, Kurt will be the third driver in the last 10 years to win the Daytona 500 one year and be with a different team the next.

I would be willing to bet he's back in the 41 next season. Unless he gets a better offer somewhere else. Not picking up his option does not mean he's out...it just means he's currently a free agent, and would have to renegotiate a new contract with SHR.

Thanks for the info! Hey, if you get a minute can you give us an updated silly season prediction list .. interested to see where you think these drivers will wind up? Is Kenseth going to snag something decent .. thinking he will, but the nascar game is changing pretty rapidly.

At this point in Kurt's career he needs to stay on a competitive team IMO.

Thanks for the info! Hey, if you get a minute can you give us an updated silly season prediction list .. interested to see where you think these drivers will wind up? Is Kenseth going to snag something decent .. thinking he will, but the nascar game is changing pretty rapidly.
Oh man, I have no clue! I said this months ago on here: be prepared for one of the craziest silly seasons on record. Mostly because the teams don't even know what they're going to do yet. The only "prediction" I can give that I feel is more confident than a coin toss is that the 77 won't be on the track next season. But, that could also change! It's nuts.

Sooo basically Lee Spencer took a strong L on this one. I like that.

Lee had all the right info, and her and Kurt are tight. I just think she might have used the wrong words.
Yeah, I'd say so lol. Although I don't know that this qualifies as using the wrong words with the right info. Unless they're changing manufacturers and the car number...

"Stewart-Haas has until midnight on Tuesday (when the company’s option expires) to reverse its decision, but the expectation is that Busch will not drive the No. 41 Ford for SHR in 2018"

Lee had all the right info, and her and Kurt are tight. I just think she might have used the wrong words.
Isn't that a negative when you are a member of the press?

I hope he is back next year in the 41 and I'd like to see his team get back on course this year.

Yeah, I'd say so lol. Although I don't know that this qualifies as using the wrong words with the right info. Unless they're changing manufacturers and the car number...

"Stewart-Haas has until midnight on Tuesday (when the company’s option expires) to reverse its decision, but the expectation is that Busch will not drive the No. 41 Ford for SHR in 2018"
Haha. Whoops! Although it never says "whose" expectation!!!

Isn't that a negative when you are a member of the press?

I hope he is back next year in the 41 and I'd like to see his team get back on course this year.
I'm not saying poor choice of words isn't a mistake. She definitely upset a lot of people with her phrasing.

Kurt to the 10?

It's a competitive field. Everyone in the media wants to be the first to break the major story, and let's face it, this would've been a monster :lol2: story.

Surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often honestly.

Here's the backstory:

Kurt's contract officially expires on August 1st (today). Legally, SHR either needs to commit to the extra year, or not commit by end of day today.

SHR will only commit to Kurt's current salary if Monster is still on board. If Monster is not on board, Kurt will likely have to take a pay cut. If Kurt declines a pay cut (or finds a better job), they will likely replace him, or lose the 41, or lose the 10 and keep the 41 blah blah blah.

Monster will not know and/or reveal their plans for 2018 at this particular time. It might be as late as January.

Sooooooooooo......SHR can't commit today (as legally required) without Monster's commitment. Therefor, they did not pick up his option. If Monster commits, all things will likely stay the same. If Monster does not commit, the ball's in Kurt's court. Stay for less, or find a new ride for more.

The article and headlines kinda make it more ominous than it really is...

Ominous or not, it doesn't sound good to me. What I don't understand is Monster's unwillingness to commit now when they need to be in or out.

I have always found it laughable when sports stars wont resign with paycut.

Oh, you can live with $Xmillion but not THIS $Xmillion?

They are all overpaid as is, a paycut wont ruin anything.

I could be wrong, but Kurt Bush has been through a lot. That makes me think he would take a cut in order to stay in the game.

Monster strung out Nascar on their sponsorship deal. They know time is on their side, it is a buyers market. Unlike many taxpayer subsidized stick n ball sports, teams have to sell themselves to be able to fund their racing.

Tough negotiators..

Back
Top Bottom