Kyle Busch appreciation thread

jaqua19

Team Owner
May I just say that you are clearly exceptional at your profession. Without complete mastery of your understanding, you would never have been able to produce such a succinct analysis. Fabulous. Thank you. I truly enjoyed this post. I particularly agree with the point that Kyle doesn't have complete disregard for what others think. I think that my statement was probably the fan in me. Everybody cares to a degree. Kyle's antics are a way of holding off the input in order to--as you mentioned--figure out who he is. Maybe a better way to look at it is that I admire Kyle's insistence that he comes to his place of self-actualization on his own terms, and his spouting off is a way for him to buy time to do so. I personally have an issue with "lap dogs" who simply do as they are told, and act the way their perception of society tells them to. I also admire Kyle's courage to become who he will become even his this is unpopular.
I also think there's context that is allowing a certain side of Kyle to show through. Being a professional athlete is a stressful job.. he's a competitor in an environment where it's part of the job to have an appearance, and to mold ones image to the public/fanbase... That in itself can be a challenge and some personalities are better at it than others.

Then, there's the fact that he's a competitor in a high level sport. That in itself is emotionally charging. So we have a context here that brings out certain aspects..maybe more vulnerable aspects of Kyle's personality. I think it's similar to how we all are with our families... There's specific things about our relationship with our parents/siblings that tend to bring out certain aspects of our personality that aren't necessarily core traits, and they don't show up much anywhere else. I think that's what Kyle is going through, and I agree with you saying that this is Kyle try navigate the part of him that realizes "hey, my image does matter to me a bit right now"..

I also think his "job" only brings out a part of his personality that probably doesn't get that triggered anywhere else. I think Kyle the person is probably pretty different... He probably doesn't have other situations that bring about the same feelings his profession does...but to me, what we see from Kyle as a driver is probably a very young part of his personality that was probably never too integrated because he never had a reason to learn how to sit with that part of him, as it would mainly get triggered in competition, and no where else. Now that he's older, he's a father, he's probably working through that now as you said. I don't think this is who Kyle is, I just think this is PART of who he is.

If Kyle never played a sport, became a race car driver, this part of him probably would have never developed this sort of protector role. FWIW, I don't think Kyle has any major issues, I just think racing brings out a very specific part of his personality that he doesn't have a handle on.

Don't mean to go all Dr. Phil here, I just find the development of personality to be absolutely fascinating. Any sort of opportunity to apply this, I will take the bait 100% of the time and put it in my back pocket for when I'm eventually doing therapy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

AuzGrams

Team Owner
I respect Kyle and the fact that it's winning or nothing.

But I didn't like the Smithley interview and he has a hard time showing patience.

jaqua19

Team Owner
I'm pretty sure one of them will write another book on how Kan't pass Kyle's emotions and competitive nature caused him to be a quitter.
And that would be awful, wouldn't it? I'm passionate about that kind of stuff and enjoy talking about it.

That said, Kyle quitting today was hilarious. That it all. He's stunk up this entire first round.

Revman

2X CHAMPION
I also think there's context that is allowing a certain side of Kyle to show through. Being a professional athlete is a stressful job.. he's a competitor in an environment where it's part of the job to have an appearance, and to mold ones image to the public/fanbase... That in itself can be a challenge and some personalities are better at it than others.

Then, there's the fact that he's a competitor in a high level sport. That in itself is emotionally charging. So we have a context here that brings out certain aspects..maybe more vulnerable aspects of Kyle's personality. I think it's similar to how we all are with our families... There's specific things about our relationship with our parents/siblings that tend to bring out certain aspects of our personality that aren't necessarily core traits, and they don't show up much anywhere else. I think that's what Kyle is going through, and I agree with you saying that this is Kyle try navigate the part of him that realizes "hey, my image does matter to me a bit right now"..

I also think his "job" only brings out a part of his personality that probably doesn't get that triggered anywhere else. I think Kyle the person is probably pretty different... He probably doesn't have other situations that bring about the same feelings his profession does...but to me, what we see from Kyle as a driver is probably a very young part of his personality that was probably never too integrated because he never had a reason to learn how to sit with that part of him, as it would mainly get triggered in competition, and no where else. Now that he's older, he's a father, he's probably working through that now as you said. I don't think this is who Kyle is, I just think this is PART of who he is.

If Kyle never played a sport, became a race car driver, this part of him probably would have never developed this sort of protector role. FWIW, I don't think Kyle has any major issues, I just think racing brings out a very specific part of his personality that he doesn't have a handle on.

Don't mean to go all Dr. Phil here, I just find the development of personality to be absolutely fascinating. Any sort of opportunity to apply this, I will take the bait 100% of the time and put it in my back pocket for when I'm eventually doing therapy.

Points well taken, and this is why I take issue with those who characterize Kyle as they do. One has every right to characterize an athlete based on the image he projects, but one has no business defining the whole person by this projection. I feel the same way about Jimmie. Is he as "vanilla" at home as he is on pit lane? No way to know. Define fandom by what you see, but do not pretend to know an athlete by this same view.

be9ak7ts16

Johali Lives
Points well taken, and this is why I take issue with those who characterize Kyle as they do. One has every right to characterize an athlete based on the image he projects, but one has no business defining the whole person by this projection. I feel the same way about Jimmie. Is he as "vanilla" at home as he is on pit lane? No way to know. Define fandom by what you see, but do not pretend to know an athlete by this same view.
Kyle has proved on many occasions he is a pompous jackasss.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Kyle has proved on many occasions he is a pompous jackasss.
they have 20, 30 minute vids or longer on Youtube documenting that going back years. No other driver has anything close to that. :D The funny part the KDB fans here act like it is news to them every time he pulls that ****. I'm waiting for the time when even one of them says yeah he is a jackass instead of this Dr. Phil B.S. :p

Formerjackman

Team Owner
they have 20, 30 minute vids or longer on Youtube documenting that going back years. No other driver has anything close to that. :D The funny part the KDB fans here act like it is news to them every time he pulls that sh!t. I'm waiting for the time when even one of them says yeah he is a jackass instead of this Dr. Phil B.S. :p
In the interest of accuracy, I think Kurt's "highlight reel" is of similar length to Kyle's. Kurt's is actually more entertaining, listening to him getting chewed out by Roger Penske and picking fights with Dr. Jerry, Jamie Little and Bob Pockrass.

Switchback

Team Owner
Watching the 18 get schooled by the 19 again was the highlight of the race for me.
"No talent" outruns the self proclaimed "pure talent" once again.

kyle busch 18

1ST PLACE!
If kyle busch had truexs crew chief he would probably win at least 12 races a yr.

Kyles crew chief aint bad but truex has an advantage over everybody, its obvious.

Ventisca

Team Owner
If kyle busch had truexs crew chief he would probably win at least 12 races a yr.

Kyles crew chief aint bad but truex has an advantage over everybody, its obvious.
Yup, that's some powerful medicine. Gonna be hard for a lot of folks to swallow...

jaqua19

Team Owner
I wanna see the guy win in his own stuff in Xfinity & Cup before I respect him as a driver.
I respect him as a driver. Don't respect the media pushing his greatness way past what he's accomplished. He's won 55 races and a title in 15 years. Very impressive. 2 drivers did better since the year 2000, nevermind all time.

Top Bottom