Kyle Busch appreciation thread

LewTheShoe

Team Owner

Kyle's greatest interview ever. Shame on me for forgetting this.

The fact that these words are coming from a grown man's mouth is pure comedic gold.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
New Hampshire is also where KDB referred to the giant lobster in victory lane as an "equestrian"... surely among his greatest interview moments ever... LMAO.

Revman

2X CHAMPION
This is a fascinating year, really. He has been terrible off of the truck, and his scanner has been just awesome working with Adam to fix the thing. By the time they get there, there isn't enough race left to do anything with it. David Wilson also spoke about how no practice has hurt Kyle as well. Kyle is extremely smart. I honestly think that JGR has grown accustomed to a wide set up window for Kyle knowing that he will work with Adam in practice to make it into what he needs. That's not there, and they are getting caught with their pants down. They have had speed--just not soon enough in the race. I know that it must be disappointing to some, but he really hasn't lit his crew chief and/or his crew up during this time.

Disclaimer: Feel free to disagree, but if you are one who searches out posts about drivers you hate, spare me the snarky crap. I am not interested. Thank you.

Revman

2X CHAMPION
Kyle is having a heck of a season, I think we're in store for more great interviews if it continues.
It's not as bad as you might think. No wins, but he has had speed. Other factors contribute to his points issues. Fun to watch really.

Revman

2X CHAMPION

Kyle's greatest interview ever. Shame on me for forgetting this.

The fact that these words are coming from a grown man's mouth is pure comedic gold.

He says what he thinks....Most of us don't. I like that he does.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
He hasn't missed a required interview all year. Your post is anti-fanboy and meaningless.
You've become his publicist now I see. congratulations. I do know that all drivers in the top 5 are required by Nascar to be available for interviews and that hasn't been a problem this year. He has kept his radio sweetheart title alive on radioactive this year though

Revman

2X CHAMPION
You've become his publicist now I see. congratulations. I do know that all drivers in the top 5 are required by Nascar to be available for interviews and that hasn't been a problem this year. He has kept his radio sweetheart title alive on radioactive this year though
Top 5 in 6 of 13 races. Ninth in points. Horrid year for him, not bad for most everybody else. He has been fine on the radio, and you know that. As much as this all disappoints the dislikers, he hasn't given you much. He is fine. Awesome to listen to him problem-solve with Adam. He knew early what was going on at Martinsville. You would be stunned to hear how well he handled it. I don't want him getting too Chase-like though, so fingers crossed on an explosion soon....likely though, he will win very soon, maybe go on a tear, and then you can start babbling about Bondo. Can't wait.

This is nothing compared to 2014 when MY Toyotas didn't have speed. Nothing comes close to that agony--not even 2007 (nothing was expected then). Now, I know you want to know how I handled that. Very well thank you. I waited....and waited.....and waited.....and waited for things to get better. Had to wait until Chicago in the Playoffs. It was awesome. Kyle was yelling and carrying on, and everybody thought he was pissed. Quite the contrary....he was absolutely jubilant over the performance of MY TRD motor. Think WE are at three Drivers Championships and three Manufacturers Titles since then. IMO....that is how you fan up....stay with your people no matter what.....and defend them until it gets totally stupid on message boards.....3-2-1.......GO!

Last edited:

Nitro Dude

Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance
I don't see it as going out on a limb to think Kyle can get a win this season. He just has to keep his nose to the grind stone and don't give up. The Toyotas are showing some progress in the speed department and Hamlin and Truex Jr has capitalized on it and ran up front and won some races.

Last edited:

Turtle84

lost a step
This is a fascinating year, really. He has been terrible off of the truck, and his scanner has been just awesome working with Adam to fix the thing. By the time they get there, there isn't enough race left to do anything with it. David Wilson also spoke about how no practice has hurt Kyle as well. Kyle is extremely smart. I honestly think that JGR has grown accustomed to a wide set up window for Kyle knowing that he will work with Adam in practice to make it into what he needs. That's not there, and they are getting caught with their pants down. They have had speed--just not soon enough in the race. I know that it must be disappointing to some, but he really hasn't lit his crew chief and/or his crew up during this time.
That's a good point of them being terrible off the truck and no practice to dial in. Everyone else is in the same boat though, would have guessed the opposite, Kyle usually is a step ahead early in the season early to adapt. Just not the case this year. Hamlin and Truex carrying the flag for Toyota.

Hitting on speed out of the gate with this package is big to keep clean air, it takes longer to work through the top 10, finding it late is likely too late. They've had top 5 speed at some, but not the typical dominating speed at the "package" tracks yet. Bristol he led 100 laps of course. He had a fast plate car yesterday too, but not much team drafting help and no result to show for it.

jaqua19

Team Owner

Disclaimer: Feel free to disagree, but if you are one who searches out posts about drivers you hate, spare me the snarky crap. I am not interested. Thank you.
I still don't think he has that much speed. I think their issues go beyond just not having the chance to fine tune the setup.

Talladega may have been his fastest car all year.

Turtle84

lost a step
It's not as bad as you might think. No wins, but he has had speed. Other factors contribute to his points issues. Fun to watch really.
He'll be there come playoff time. Probably rip a few wins now that we mentioned it. Fun to watch them get it together.

Revman

2X CHAMPION
I still don't think he has that much speed. I think their issues go beyond just not having the chance to fine tune the setup.

Talladega may have been his fastest car all year.

I'm not sure what issues you are referring to. If it's Adam. Nope. Don't agree. I remember when things went to **** with Dave Rogers. THAT was an issue. Things are fine with Adam. This isn't Kyle's favorite package, and yeah, that probably has something to do with it. David Wilson, Jimmy Makar, and Adam all say that the lack of practice is a big deal. The cars aren't completely there yet either. They will work through it, and Kyle will be fine. He always is.

Revman

2X CHAMPION
That's a good point of them being terrible off the truck and no practice to dial in. Everyone else is in the same boat though, would have guessed the opposite, Kyle usually is a step ahead early in the season early to adapt. Just not the case this year. Hamlin and Truex carrying the flag for Toyota.

Hitting on speed out of the gate with this package is big to keep clean air, it takes longer to work through the top 10, finding it late is likely too late. They've had top 5 speed at some, but not the typical dominating speed at the "package" tracks yet. Bristol he led 100 laps of course. He had a fast plate car yesterday too, but not much team drafting help and no result to show for it.
Yeah, but all of that is usually with some laps under Kyle's belt. David Wilson said that TRD's sim stuff needs some work to help as well. The car isn't there either, and Chevy has been milking their Christmas gift. It will be fascinating to watch him battle back.

jaqua19

Team Owner
I'm not sure what issues you are referring to. If it's Adam. Nope. Don't agree. I remember when things went to **** with Dave Rogers. THAT was an issue. Things are fine with Adam. This isn't Kyle's favorite package, and yeah, that probably has something to do with it. David Wilson, Jimmy Makar, and Adam all say that the lack of practice is a big deal. The cars aren't completely there yet either. They will work through it, and Kyle will be fine. He always is.
You're looking too hard at "issues". The 18 car is just lacking a bit of speed that practice wouldn't fix.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
You're looking too hard at "issues". The 18 car is just lacking a bit of speed that practice wouldn't fix.

Some call them "issues", and others call them excuses. ;) Hambone and Truex seem to be doing ok with what they have to work with in comparison. They are 6th and 7th behind 4 FORDS and 1 CHEVY. Kyle had a fast car at Dega until he ran into the wall with it.

jaqua19

Team Owner
I don't agree.
You don't have to agree. I just can't see any evidence that indicates this is the case, and the personnel you provided certainly isn't anything resembling evidence to support that.

There's no question that the 18 team is arguably the strongest team in a vacuum. Not denying that. They will get that speed back. But it ain't there yet. The 18 didn't have weekly race winning speed prior to COVID WITH practice. And they don't without it now. Drawing such a conclusion without evidence, when we already have a sample with practice is a bit premature imo.

There's no question they have the equipment and the team to get there, but right now, this is just part of the trend of racing. Teams fall behind, even the best teams fall a bit behind. The 18 is just a bit behind and more work needs to be done beyond fine tuning setups in practice to get there. And they will.

jaqua19

Team Owner
Some call them "issues", and others call them excuses. ;) Hambone and Truex seem to be doing ok with what they have to work with in comparison. They are 6th and 7th behind 4 FORDS and 1 CHEVY. Kyle had a fast car at Dega until he ran into the wall with it.
The whole thing with the 18's performance, imo, is just the epitome of NASCAR trends. I can understand and even empathize with hyper focusing on areas of performance that indicate that elite speed is back in my driver's equipment.

In 2009, I found it almost every single race, trying to convince myself that Edwards still had the speed he had in 2008. But he didn't, and I certainly didn't admit in 2009. And you are right. Kyle is being out run by the 11..19 hasn't been great, but he does have that win. But the 18 has been a tick better. 18 still has a bit of work to do.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
The whole thing with the 18's performance, imo, is just the epitome of NASCAR trends. I can understand and even empathize with hyper focusing on areas of performance that indicate that elite speed is back in my driver's equipment.

In 2009, I found it almost every single race, trying to convince myself that Edwards still had the speed he had in 2008. But he didn't, and I certainly didn't admit in 2009. And you are right. Kyle is being out run by the 11..19 hasn't been great, but he does have that win. But the 18 has been a tick better. 18 still has a bit of work to do.

you probably should check the drivers standings again. The 18 is 55 points behind the 11. That is a pretty big lick to make up

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
I said he's being out run by the 11. Denny has been the best Gibbs car without a doubt.

19 hasn't been great, but he does have that win. But the 18 has been a tick better.

^^ there is what you said..where has the 18 been a tic better than the 19 when the 18 car is 55 points behind the 19..I'm confused.

jaqua19

Team Owner
19 hasn't been great, but he does have that win. But the 18 has been a tick better.

^^ there is what you said..where has the 18 been a tic better than the 19 when the 18 car is 55 points behind the 19..I'm confused.
I said he's outrun by the 11, and a tick better than the 19. What you said is that he's 55 points behind the 11..not the 19. So I didn't realize he was that far behind Truex, as I thought you were referring to the 11. I responded to your typo and that's why you're confused.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Yeah that's like a full race.

full race if he wins all of the stages and the race and Truex wrecks the first lap and is out. Eh it's not terrible, but definitely in a slump compared to where he usually is this time of year.

Revman

2X CHAMPION
You don't have to agree. I just can't see any evidence that indicates this is the case, and the personnel you provided certainly isn't anything resembling evidence to support that.

There's no question that the 18 team is arguably the strongest team in a vacuum. Not denying that. They will get that speed back. But it ain't there yet. The 18 didn't have weekly race winning speed prior to COVID WITH practice. And they don't without it now. Drawing such a conclusion without evidence, when we already have a sample with practice is a bit premature imo.

There's no question they have the equipment and the team to get there, but right now, this is just part of the trend of racing. Teams fall behind, even the best teams fall a bit behind. The 18 is just a bit behind and more work needs to be done beyond fine tuning setups in practice to get there. And they will.

Well, if any of us had any evidence about performance, we would be on a race team. Atlanta was a turning point, and I am willing to bet that performance in the first part of the season was a data point to get MY Toyota teams where they are.

We measure performance in terms of finishing places and wins unfortunately. Fontana....the 18 at the start of the weekend to the end was night and day. Huge gains. Love this part of the sport. There is the question about the necessity of practice unfortunately. I think that there is much that we cannot see gained during those sessions, and exactly what many want to abolish in the name of creating the mythical "great racing." In effect, this brings the bigger teams with better engineering down to the level of the less funded teams. Kind of what is happening with Kyle. He is ninth. He isn't horrid. He is ordinary which is what NASCAR strives for.

Kyle will figure this new NASCAR out, but it will take time. The narrative is that he takes a car by the scruff of the neck and wheels it. I have had the opportunity to talk to many who would know that tell me otherwise. He is extremely intellectual about his approach, and I don't think he is a huge sim guy which might be contributing to this as well in light of the absence of practice. Again, even at the Martinsville debacle, Kyle's lap times late were race winning quality. Just takes him longer.

MY Toyotas were beaten early by Chevy because of the brand new car. I would be willing to bet that in terms of pure performance, they were pretty much where they were last year when WE won 19, and Kyle won the whole damn thing. The bar moved, and Toyota reacted. WE are very close right now. As such, I think WE will unload better, and that will get Kyle closer to where he needs to be to get wins. It will be very interesting to see what his performance looks like from Pocono 1 to 2 this weekend.

jaqua19

Team Owner
Well, if any of us had any evidence about performance, we would be on a race team. Atlanta was a turning point, and I am willing to bet that performance in the first part of the season was a data point to get MY Toyota teams where they are.

We measure performance in terms of finishing places and wins unfortunately. Fontana....the 18 at the start of the weekend to the end was night and day. Huge gains. Love this part of the sport. There is the question about the necessity of practice unfortunately. I think that there is much that we cannot see gained during those sessions, and exactly what many want to abolish in the name of creating the mythical "great racing." In effect, this brings the bigger teams with better engineering down to the level of the less funded teams. Kind of what is happening with Kyle. He is ninth. He isn't horrid. He is ordinary which is what NASCAR strives for.

Kyle will figure this new NASCAR out, but it will take time. The narrative is that he takes a car by the scruff of the neck and wheels it. I have had the opportunity to talk to many who would know that tell me otherwise. He is extremely intellectual about his approach, and I don't think he is a huge sim guy which might be contributing to this as well in light of the absence of practice. Again, even at the Martinsville debacle, Kyle's lap times late were race winning quality. Just takes him longer.

MY Toyotas were beaten early by Chevy because of the brand new car. I would be willing to bet that in terms of pure performance, they were pretty much where they were last year when WE won 19, and Kyle won the whole damn thing. The bar moved, and Toyota reacted. WE are very close right now. As such, I think WE will unload better, and that will get Kyle closer to where he needs to be to get wins. It will be very interesting to see what his performance looks like from Pocono 1 to 2 this weekend.
Pocono is a big indicator with those hour long strait aways. That's for sure lol

Revman

2X CHAMPION
Pocono is a big indicator with those hour long strait aways. That's for sure lol

Love that track. Hard to tell about horsepower the way WE once could given the razor's edge drag/downforce trade off, but still...corner entry in 1 is insane.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck

Toyota started the year and continues to an extent to be behind both the Fords and the Chevys. Will they catch up? that is what makes it interesting. One of the Yotas biggest problems is their investment in only 4 top shelf cars compared to the other two makes who support much higher numbers. Penske and SHR put 8 cars capable of winning on a given weekend. Hendrick is about it for Chevy, 4 cars similar to the Gibbers, but they have so many vehicles in the field compared to the Toyota's the odds of them doing well with lesser cars is pretty large.

Revman

2X CHAMPION
One of the Yotas biggest problems is their investment in only 4 top shelf cars compared to the other two makes who support much higher numbers.
Absolutely--especially in an environment with no practice. Look at Martinsville....they all went down the same rabbit hole. MTJ's win softened the blow, but they missed, and missed huge. What made US so successful last year, stung US there....badly. Shocking, but very cool in many respects.

I absolutely love this kind of a year. Toyota shows me enough to lead me to the place that they can compete, but not enough to dominate. I loved last year, but this is a different kind of fun--and I am loving it. I think it is awesome that they are able to take an "older" car, and get closer to Chevy. I think Ford is about Penske and their engineering talent. Penske's approach is brilliant. They take Ford, and turn it into a JGR type of thing....four cars very different IMO to SHR--kind of on their own.

jaqua19

Team Owner
Love that track. Hard to tell about horsepower the way WE once could given the razor's edge drag/downforce trade off, but still...corner entry in 1 is insane.
It's scary. Maybe not as much anymore since they aren't hitting 200

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
This weekend is going to be the tell tale IMO. KDB is very good at poke yo nose. 3 wins in the last 5 years. Truex and Hamlin won the other two years.

jaqua19

Team Owner
This weekend is going to be the tell tale IMO. KDB is very good at poke yo nose. 3 wins in the last 5 years. Truex and Hamlin won the other two years.
I think it may be a bit telling on raw speed as well. A flat 2.5 miler with long straits and no practice should really let us know what teams have speed and handling off the truck.

Top Bottom