MAGICMILER

Alton Pond
Contributor
You won't find this on Ellen...

NASCAR Select Driver

Kyle Busch looks ahead after struggles in 2020​

By Dustin LongJan 25, 2021, 7:00 PM EST

0 Comments
Five-year-old Brexton Busch has begun to experiences the highs and lows that his father, Kyle, knows so well in racing.

Brexton Busch began competing last year and while he’s won, he’s also suffered heartbreak.
“He came off the track one time, he finished second,” Kyle Busch told NBC Sports. “He was crying, just hysterically crying, saying ‘He beat me’ and ‘I lost” and all that stuff.
“I didn’t teach that. That’s hereditary.”
Such experiences can provide life lessons.
“You always want to give everything you can to your children,” Kyle Busch said. “You want to give them everything to be successful and what they need. Fact of the matter is, life is not easy. If it were easy, everybody would be able to do everything, right? There are certain individuals that are going to be able to do certain things.
“Those are moments of growth that now that I’ve been accustomed to, being a little bit older … You see his defeat, you see it as being beat and you’re supposed to win at everything that you do or what you do, because this is a performance-based business and you have to win to stay around.
“In all reality, you can have some losses, you just have to tolerate those losses. Everybody does that in different ways. Trying to teach that this early on is a unique opportunity for me.”

Caption this 😀 pic.twitter.com/xpEZH9PUJi
— Kyle Busch (@KyleBusch) January 9, 2021

Kyle Busch also experienced such lessons last season when he went until the 34th Cup race of the season before winning. That Texas triumph was his only Cup victory of the season.
The last time he won only one Cup race in a season was 2014. He won 27 races between 2015-19.
“I think some of the biggest lessons learned last year is just everything of what not to do,” he said. “There were a lot of things that we did with a mindset and philosophy that just wasn’t right. We changed some of that stuff a little bit later in the year, Texas most noticeable, and we were able to score a win.
“It was kind of like ‘OK, we need to think about this a little differently think about what we were building cars like, thinking about our setups a little bit different.’ That whole weekend, I was like, ‘We have to just throw something at it. We have to try outside-the-box thinking.’ And, lo and behold, it kind of worked out.
“Fortunately, we won that one and now we can go into this season with a little bit more of that type of mindset, although there are fewer 550 (horsepower) races this year I think than there were last year.”
One of the challenges for Busch was not having practice at most events last year as part of COVID-19 protocols that NASCAR employed in shortening race weekends for each series. Most events this season also will not have practice or qualifying.
This is a new era in NASCAR,” Kurt Busch told NBC Sports. “This COVID protocol, lack of practice, jumping into these races and trying to collect stage points vs. putting yourself in position to win. The new simulators, the iRacing world, the new tracks, the new car.
“This is where I’ve always tried to be that driver that adapts and stays fluid and can jump out of certain patterns and not get stuck. If you get stuck in your ways, you’re getting put a lap down right now. That was a discussion I had with Kyle halfway through the year.”
Kyle Busch’s Texas win in October extended his streak to 16 consecutive seasons with at least one victory in NASCAR’s premier series. He is tied with Ricky Rudd, Rusty Wallace and Jimmie Johnson for third on the all-time list. Richard Petty won at least one race in a record 18 consecutive seasons.
Busch will look to continue his winning streak with a new crew chief. Adam Stevens, who won two championships with Busch, moves to Christopher Bell’s team at Joe Gibbs Racing.
Busch will be teamed with Ben Beshore, who had been an engineer for Busch’s team and won four Xfinity races last year as Harrison Burton’s crew chief. Beshore and Busch won four of their seven Xfinity races together in 2019.
There should not be much adjustment for both this season.
“He kind of knows my little quirks,” Busch said of Beshore. “I have a whole new team essentially. The only guy that is the same is the car chief. Everybody else is different. I’ve got a whole new group of guys that I’ve got to learn, and I’ve got to teach them how I do things and what my system is and how I like stuff, where I had all of that for the past five years, six years. … Just getting into a rhythm and getting into races and practices and stuff is where all that is learned.
“It’s just going to take a little bit ".

Revman

TRD
Yeah, all of that above, but this....this I have an issue with....Keep that **** in house. Adam runs that damn team. Kyle drives the car. I love that Adam told him to get lost, and I am very, very disappointed in KFB. I am a huge Adam fan--even more so now. I don't like yes men....Adam is not that. I respect that. You could try to give Adam a mic, but he won't take it. Kyle should have done the same. Santa isn't real anymore. I am pissed.

Kyle Busch shares details of split with Adam Stevens - NBC SportsNASCAR Cup champion Kyle Busch shares what led to his split with crew chief Adam Stevens in an interview with Graham Bensinger.nascar.nbcsports.com

gnomesayin

Team Owner
It doesn't sound like Adam Stevens let him down easy.

[Quotes according to Kyle Busch, unreliable narrator may or may not apply.]

Kyle Busch: "I believe in you. I trust in you. I want you. You're my guy. We've done this already for six years. We've won two championships. Like there's chemistry here. And we have a working relationship where we understand one another."

Adam Stevens: "You know what, I'm going to go do something different and let you do something different and we'll see what happens."

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
Please for the love of God, one of the Busch brothers needs to grow a stache like their father’s

Last edited:

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
It doesn't sound like Adam Stevens let him down easy.

[Quotes according to Kyle Busch, unreliable narrator may or may not apply.]

Kyle Busch: "I believe in you. I trust in you. I want you. You're my guy. We've done this already for six years. We've won two championships. Like there's chemistry here. And we have a working relationship where we understand one another."

Adam Stevens: "You know what, I'm going to go do something different and let you do something different and we'll see what happens."

What the article omitted was that the changes Busch wanted Adam Stephens to make were personnel changes.

That is when Adam told him to take a hike. But hey, now Kyle has a whole bunch of personnel changes. He got the whole 20 car crew and Adam's crew went to work with C.Bell.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck

Kyle Busch: Former crew chief quit on me​

This one is pretty interesting about how he got the boot at Hendrick. Is he throwing Gordon under the bus a bit?
Kyle Busch: Rick Hendrick dropped me after outbursts

Revman

TRD
It will work for both I believe. Adam gets a driver who has manners and integrity in C. Bell, and KDB gets a crew chief he can run the show with

I'll put this here, and take my medicine. There is not one piece of this I support. Not one. I love Adam, and I love that he looked the superstar in the face, and told him to **** off. Who wouldn't love to work for him? He had a choice between driver and his guys, and he took his guys. Driver had no business putting him in that position. Driver had no business going on an Oprah show to air it out. You are coming off of a 1 win season. Shut the **** up, and drive the car. Go Bell. I would love nothing more than to see Bell and Adam tear it up this year.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
I'll put this here, and take my medicine. There is not one piece of this I support. Not one. I love Adam, and I love that he looked the superstar in the face, and told him to **** off. Who wouldn't love to work for him? He had a choice between driver and his guys, and he took his guys. Driver had no business putting him in that position. Driver had no business going on an Oprah show to air it out. You are coming off of a 1 win season. Shut the **** up, and drive the car. Go Bell. I would love nothing more than to see Bell and Adam tear it up this year.
Put it anywhere ya want. If a driver (Kyle) wasn't trying to run the show and TELL Adam to get rid of certain crewmates they wouldn't have split the sheets. Came right out of the horses mouth in the top vid of post 2259. You Buschites go hallucinate whatever you want. So maybe Kyle's next crew chief will let him run the show. Kyle isn't unique here many drivers think they are running the show..he had a brother that had a bit of a problem with that.

Revman

TRD
Put it anywhere ya want. If a driver (Kyle) wasn't trying to run the show and TELL Adam to get rid of certain crewmates they wouldn't have split the sheets. Came right out of the horses mouth in the top vid of post 2259. You Buschites go hallucinate whatever you want. So maybe Kyle's next crew chief will let him run the show. Kyle isn't unique here many drivers think they are running the show..he had a brother that had a bit of a problem with that.
WTF are you talking about?! I agree with everything you are saying. I am not defending the guy. In fact, I am supporting his crew chief. Geez.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
WTF are you talking about?! I agree with everything you are saying. I am not defending the guy. In fact, I am supporting his crew chief. Geez.
welp you said this about my comment. It's plain as day what Kyle said. Now personally? I think Kyle was looking for sympathy and the avid shrubites will get all over that, But realistically Kyle has been his own worst enemy. We already know what he can get by with at Gibbs as long as he doesn't assassinate a sponsor he's good to go in preacher's world. But Gibbs might have had to make a decision finally and support Adam. Brings up a lot of what if's to me anyway. Looks like Gibbs is putting his eggs in the basket of Stephens and Bell for the time being. Kyle needs a big year IMO. The young Gibbs is racing some Xfinity this year and nepotism is alive and well. If the yota's aren't going to expand big time there is another train wreck going to happen.

Revman

TRD
welp you said this about my comment. It's plain as day what Kyle said. Now personally? I think Kyle was looking for sympathy and the avid shrubites will get all over that, But realistically Kyle has been his own worst enemy. We already know what he can get by with at Gibbs as long as he doesn't assassinate a sponsor he's good to go in preacher's world. But Gibbs might have had to make a decision finally and support Adam. Brings up a lot of what if's to me anyway. Looks like Gibbs is putting his eggs in the basket of Stephens and Bell for the time being. Kyle needs a big year IMO. The young Gibbs is racing some Xfinity this year and nepotism is alive and well. If the yota's aren't going to expand big time there is another train wreck going to happen.

No, man, I meant that there isn't one piece of what Kyle is doing that I support. I wasn't commenting on your take...which I completely agree with. This **** hits me....I like the person Adam puts out there, and I think Kyle felt he could push him around.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
No, man, I meant that there isn't one piece of what Kyle is doing that I support. I wasn't commenting on your take...which I completely agree with. This **** hits me....I like the person Adam puts out there, and I think Kyle felt he could push him around.
It looks on the surface that Kyle has screwed himself. But by the same token he seems to thrive when things are all stirred up. No way of knowing, but I don't think they were having a calm, quiet conservation when it all went down knowing how both of them are.

Revman

TRD
It looks on the surface that Kyle has screwed himself. But by the same token he seems to thrive when things are all stirred up. No way of knowing, but I don't think they were having a calm, quiet conservation when it all went down knowing how both of them are.
I don't give a **** how it turns out. It was a complete dick move on Kyle's part. I don't respect it. I won't respect it. I stand by all of the times I defended him, but not this time. Conversely, I do respect Adam holding the line. I like that a lot. He was on NASCAR Radio. He had his shot. He didn't take it. I have even more respect for him now. Kyle looks like an idiot in this, and he deserves it.

Revman

TRD
I don't think Toyota was real excited about last years results and they have some big expectations or goals for this year.
I imagine Kyle knows he needs to perform well and win some races this year. He has a good start so far.
Toyota Putting Pressure on its NASCAR Teams to Perform (yahoo.com)

Those are the same goals Toyota has had literally every year with the exceptions of the new format comments. The 12 races represents 1/3 of the points paying races as Toyota wants its share. Four of five in the Playoffs is essentially the same thinking....a little more conversative....Two of four at Phoenix has been the goal from the beginning of this system, and yeah, that one is big, but somebody has to have at least two if all OEM's are represented, so go big or go home.

David was vocal about results last year because the performance exceeded the execution....and this year it is a big deal because the perception is that Toyota sucked last year against the backdrop of a 19 win season.

I would love to hear from Campbell or Rushbrook....probably the same thing, honestly.

Ford 222

Team Owner
Hey @Revman... that's an unfortunate choice of words right there... considering the 16 cars C. Bell literally tore up on lap 15 of the Daytona 500..:bazooka:
I wouldn’t take much solace of that. As much as I dislike him he ran GOOD this race... doubt we will have much to be happy about this year....KB will be still be a force.....

Ford 222

Team Owner
I wouldn’t take much solace of that. As much as I dislike him he ran GOOD this race... doubt we will have much to be happy about this year....KB will be still be a force.....
Please ignore...was about 13 beers in and should have been in bed. My reading comprehension was in a very sorry state. Sorry....

Top Bottom