Kyle Busch appreciation thread

Revman

You can't handle the truth!

Actually a really good watch. I hope IAA does a few more drivers.
Greatest KFB interview ever. This is something that the idiots at NASCAR Radio will never get out of him. Outstanding piece. The best part is that it has Mr. Squinty/Douchey all worked up on social media. It's amazing how you can take three athletes, and they can outperform the "trained professionals" without even trying hard. Just fabulous.

Last edited:

Dr_B_UNC

Team Owner
I give him props for "embracing" the a__hole villain role, but there was one thing that felt disingenuous about the whole interview (and many others he's done): the constant "I don't care, whatever" about not being liked. He does care. A lot. It does bug him, but he has to maintain the facade of "hate away. FU."

As for the Joey bit, I love it. Joey is very two faced and tries to play two roles, and now multiple Cup champs (Chase, KyBu) have called him out on it. Kyle here, Chase back in Bristol (even when it was Chase's fault).

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing with all my heart
I give him props for "embracing" the a__hole villain role, but there was one thing that felt disingenuous about the whole interview (and many others he's done): the constant "I don't care, whatever" about not being liked. He does care. A lot. It does bug him, but he has to maintain the facade of "hate away. FU."

As for the Joey bit, I love it. Joey is very two faced and tries to play two roles, and now multiple Cup champs (Chase, KyBu) have called him out on it. Kyle here, Chase back in Bristol (even when it was Chase's fault).

I don't know about the first part, I think he used to want to be liked. I remember the interviews he did with TNT and ESPN where he pretty much said he wanted to be liked. But I think he's gotten over that and does embrace his role.

I know several drivers who are like Joey Logano. Great guys off the track, but race like complete plonkers on the track.

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna

Even if he doesn’t care, his sponsors certainly do and they make the sport (and the cars) go round.

As for Logano, it doesn’t matter to me if he seems “two faced”. All of these drivers go into a different mode when the helmet goes on. Every top performing athlete is the same. One could make the argument that Kyle Busch is laughing it up on this show but on the track he’s bitching all the time, drives overly aggressive, and throws punches on pit road. If you’re just as nice to the people who pay you versus your competition, you won’t succeed.

The sport needs more villains and rivalries, but it needs to be, or atleast feel, organic. Kyle Busch just playing up a villain role like a WWE character doesn’t cut it.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
how did that work out for ya there Rocky? :lol2:

1621547730738.png

Revman

Even if he doesn’t care, his sponsors certainly do and they make the sport (and the cars) go round.
You don't think his sponsors like his persona? Come on. He comes off like the a**hole to everybody EXCEPT the glad handers who write the checks. That makes them feel special, and they write bigger checks. This has been working for a long time for him. Spare me the Hornaday thing....Mars got worked up because the backlash was so big that they responded to that. I am guessing that most in that organization only care about NASCAR when they want their asses kissed at the track. Obviously, Kyle is not alone in being really good at that. Sometimes I wonder if the opposite of all of this is the operational definition of "vanilla" for Jimmie. It worked, but not like KFB works from a visibility perspective.

As for the WWE character? I can't find one driver who isn't. They all talk **** about pay back, and then nothing happens. Haven't see a great flight in forever, and if they did it would feel like hockey anyway. All of that "gonna kick your ass" **** is BS....and could be eliminated altogether with race bans. Hell, we do that to crew chiefs for missing lug nuts, but oh those drivers....

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
You don't think his sponsors like his persona? Come on. He comes off like the a**hole to everybody EXCEPT the glad handers who write the checks. That makes them feel special, and they write bigger checks. This has been working for a long time for him. Spare me the Hornaday thing....Mars got worked up because the backlash was so big that they responded to that. I am guessing that most in that organization only care about NASCAR when they want their asses kissed at the track. Obviously, Kyle is not alone in being really good at that. Sometimes I wonder if the opposite of all of this is the operational definition of "vanilla" for Jimmie. It worked, but not like KFB works from a visibility perspective.

As for the WWE character? I can't find one driver who isn't. They all talk **** about pay back, and then nothing happens. Haven't see a great flight in forever, and if they did it would feel like hockey anyway. All of that "gonna kick your ass" **** is BS....and could be eliminated altogether with race bans. Hell, we do that to crew chiefs for missing lug nuts, but oh those drivers....
Not sure how you came to this conclusion. Dr_B said that his persona is that he doesn’t care if he’s liked by the fans or not and I said even if he doesn’t care about being liked by the fans, his sponsors do.

Nobody said anything about his sponsors not liking Kyle’s persona.

jaqua19

Team Owner

I've long contested this. Kyle absolutely cares a lot and it's probably what motivates this persona.
Kyle is VERY good at what he does, and is arrogant. I think he puts a bunch of pressure on himself, and his brand, and that mannifests as defensive arrogance, which masquerades as confidence in a villain role. And I think, (as Samantha has said), Kyle is his own biggest critic.

That was an awesome awesome interview and I love how much it revealed about Kyle the person. Kyle Busch really is one of my favorite personalities in the history of the sport, and, as Rev and I have talked about, there is a decent, good human being underneath all that neurotic bull**** he presents to the NASCAR world.

But the counselor in me really perked up when he talked about JoLo. Kyle explains with his words, tone and affect how frustrated he is with Logano's contrast between being in the car, and outside of the car. He calls it two faced. And be does not like Joey because of it. Of course, it's not Kyle's business to make such a judgement of character. But he does.

What is it about someone being "two faced", "fake", or dishonest that is so upsetting to Kyle? Imo, I think he's projecting something there, which I won't ramble on about. But I think that inner critic plays a role there, and it has a lot to do with what you said.. the fact that he cares what people think, that he puts an insurmountable amount of pressure on himself to be the best. Yet, it comes off as arrogance, and he upholds the presentation that he doesn't care what people think. When he does. His presentation isn't congruent with what he feels, and if this IS the case..well, that's exactly what he's accusing Joey of being.

As for Kyle, and Chase ****ting on Joey, at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Joey is a champion. How he races, and how he acts as a person does not need to fit into the ethical philosophies of his competitors. He's his own judge, I I think it's the end of it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ford 222

Team Owner
What the hell is JL supposed to do on the track? Be nice as in :
“oh you want the position? Here you go take it.”.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to close the door on you. Won’t happen again.”

Last lap and for the win: “Well, you’re in front so you can have the win. I’ll happily take second”.

And what’s so a**hole about being aggressive? If he was actively and intentionally WRECKING people I’d see it. Yes, he’s messed up and wrecked people but the only intentional thing that stand out to me was giving Denny zero quarter at Cali(?) after Denny wrecked him at Bristol then claimed he’d never see him again unless he was lapping him.

Turtle84

underglow

P3 for KB another strong run post-practice session (seems like a rather important thing for him and them).

Looked like the only Toyota out there with enough car to mix it up with Hendrick last night.

jaqua19

Team Owner
I think the 4th gear was a blessing since it came down to a fuel mileage race on a long long run.

Not having to shift through 1st, 2nd and 3rd out of pit road saved him at least a lap, imo. Jeff Gordon had this same issue here in 09 and said he saved over a lap just leaving pit road.

Ironically, I don't think Kyle makes it on fuel without that issue.

hmmm298

Crew Chief
I think the 4th gear was a blessing since it came down to a fuel mileage race on a long long run.

Not having to shift through 1st, 2nd and 3rd out of pit road saved him at least a lap, imo. Jeff Gordon had this same issue here in 09 and said he saved over a lap just leaving pit road.

I agree. Like I said in the race thread, I would think that if Kyle would have been good without this issue, then so would Denny have been.

Revman

Well, without that issue and NASCAR calling him back to pit road for the shift boot. Thanks NASCAR! Great weekend! Got the BONDO off the Hendrick cars, and got penalized which turned out to be a gift! I will freaking take it!

jaqua19

Team Owner
Well, without that issue and NASCAR calling him back to pit road for the shift boot. Thanks NASCAR! Great weekend! Got the BONDO off the Hendrick cars, and got penalized which turned out to be a gift! I will freaking take it!
I don't think I can recall a better example of turning chicken s*** into chicken salad

Revman

I don't think I can recall a better example of turning chicken s*** into chicken salad

He is such an interesting dude. He handles that kind of thing just fine, but give him a car that won't turn, and there is hell to pay. He gave up on Pocono I I think. Had he race Bowman harder, it might have been a sweep for Rowdy. Who knew that the Bondo would fall off the fender of Larson's car and cut his tire? Board loses its **** in 3-2-1.....Kidding!

jaqua19

Team Owner
He is such an interesting dude. He handles that kind of thing just fine, but give him a car that won't turn, and there is hell to pay. He gave up on Pocono I I think. Had he race Bowman harder, it might have been a sweep for Rowdy. Who knew that the Bondo would fall off the fender of Larson's car and cut his tire? Board loses its **** in 3-2-1.....Kidding!

It coulda been. But had Larson not cut down a tire, we likely are looking at 5 in a row for Larson.

As an Edwards fan, shoulda coulda wouldas don't mean anything.

Kyle is a perfectionist and doesn't give himself a minute to breathe and he has this unrelenting pressure that he puts on himself, which at times, can be crippling. It's one thing to have a car that wont turn, and to be frustrated with performance of the team, and the setup.

It's another for an issue such as a random gearbox issue to potentially ruin your day.

The latter, imo, is a lot less out of one's control and more in the hands of the racing god. There's no "potential" to fix that mid race, so, Kyle deals.

And honestly, I thinking finishing "good" in a circumstance like that is an ego booster

Team Penske

Team Owner
I hear KDB is going to run full time in Xfinity next year to get his total wins up.
To much competition in cup on RC racing. :eek::sarcasm:

hmmm298

Crew Chief
Currently 4th in points. 👍🏻
Tbf, while he may have been joking, Kyle actually DID recently say that, in regards to trucks/xfinity full time if he doesn't start winning more in cup (this was said in response to a question about him retiring from Xfinity). Of course he went out and won Pocono after that. :XXROFL: :XXROFL:

JGR_20

Joining Chase Elliott Nation!
The car looks fine, I guess they’re tryin to get a few extra clicks from the storyline.

Top Bottom