Lapped traffic during the Truck race

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
A lot of fans are calling for Benning's head on a platter after the run in with Moffitt. does anything need to be done?

I always thought it was part of racing...What do you want them to do park all cars/truck with 10 to go that are a lap down?

Just wondering if they have a minimum speed for the trucks? If so, was NASCAR enforcing it or looking the other way? I can't fault Benning. He has paid his dues and is trying to make a living.

I'd support a more liberal use of the black flag or more simply, a raising of the minimum speed. Those guys were ridiculous. The very least you can do when you're lapped is be predictable and pick a line and stay to it. They're freaking wandering around aimlessly in the middle of the track five seconds off of the pace, it's nuts.

Last edited:
Onboard camera from Norm Benning last night:
giphy.gif

Youre telling me these are supposed to be some of the best stock car racers in the world and they cannot avoid lapped traffic?

I'm not sure if you watched the race last night or not but there were some trucks dangerously off the pace. Benning being one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One more win and Kyle ties Hornaday for Truck Series wins.

Kyle should win, and hang Hornaday's number out the window net....What was his number again? All of the You Tube stuff I watch has it crinkled all to hell.

A lot of fans are calling for Benning's head on a platter after the run in with Moffitt. does anything need to be done?

Just can't understand how anybody could get lapped running the same equipment. Give Norm the super special NT1.

I'm not sure if you watched the race last night or not but there were some trucks dangerously off the pace. Benning being one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spec fail.

I don't know why the slower trucks can't run the lower line and move over when the faster cars approach. I thought the flagman had a flag for that. These slower trucks made it more like running an obstacle course. Hate they messed Moffitt up, he was really putting on a good show and giving Kyle all he could handle.

This is a perfect example of truck guys learning from cup guys. They teach you that if you are being lapped, hold your line and the leaders will figure out how they will pass you. Apparently this is a lesson that Benning had to learn the hard way. I'll bet he doesn't do it again. It's a shame that Moffit is the one that had to pay the price for this lesson, but as they say, that's racing.

Race control can spot a killer hot dog wrapper on track from 2500 feet so giving a car or truck the move over or black flag should be easy peasy. The other alternative would be to rim ride a la Erin Crocker or just not allow woefully inadequate teams to enter in to series they cannot compete in.

I didn't see how slow Benning was running, but J Jo was 32 MPH slower. than the leaders and she was faster than him. I don't know what minimum speed was supposed to be, but they were passing some of the trucks like they were standing still. The track officials might have been asleep when it came to enforcing minimum speed

This is a perfect example of truck guys learning from cup guys. They teach you that if you are being lapped, hold your line and the leaders will figure out how they will pass you. Apparently this is a lesson that Benning had to learn the hard way. I'll bet he doesn't do it again. It's a shame that Moffit is the one that had to pay the price for this lesson, but as they say, that's racing.
Norm is 66 years old he's not out there to learn anything. And the learning from Cup guys is such a tired bs argument.

I didn't see how slow Benning was running, but J Jo was 32 MPH slower. than the leaders and she was faster than him. I don't know what minimum speed was supposed to be, but they were passing some of the trucks like they were standing still. The track officials might have been asleep when it came to enforcing minimum speed
I can't see how you can qualify for a race and be 32 mph slower than the rest of the field, shouldn't be allowed. How can your equipment be that inferior to the rest of the Trucks, you don't belong there if you are that much slower.

Im going go enter my 1988 gmc sierra next race....might be in the way might be faster than norm.

Yeah that was ridiculous. Almost freaked me out how slow the lap traffic was, only a few laps after a caution and they were driving that much slower? Embarrassing and dangerous, that’s literally arca ****

They can probably get by with that stuff on a short track, but the closing speed was way too fast last night. Another thing came to mind. It wasn't a usual follow the leader kind of race where the trucks had plenty of room to get by a back marker. It could be a new problem that needs to be addressed some how on these wider multi groove tracks

I can't see how you can qualify for a race and be 32 mph slower than the rest of the field, shouldn't be allowed. How can your equipment be that inferior to the rest of the Trucks, you don't belong there if you are that much slower.
You start your day with 2 sets of tires.

You put set 2 on after you spin and flat-spot set 1.

I think the truck series is losing more owners because they can't afford to run. Kez had to close his down last year because they couldn't get sponsors so I doubt some of these lower teams can get good sponsors either. I believe NASCAR is so desperate they just let anyone who brings a truck run with the rest of them, which is most likely why you have the Sunday drivers out there. They need to give the slower ones a left turn signal they can leave on the whole race.

They got more than 2 sets for the race, they don't belong racing if they are that slow.
Just watched a replay of the last 11 laps, they were in traffic after 5 laps, which means those trucks were about 6 seconds slower per lap, or about 30 mph slower. That can't be minimum speed

Just watched a replay of the last 11 laps, they were in traffic after 5 laps, which means those trucks were about 6 seconds slower per lap, or about 30 mph slower. That can't be minimum speed
Right...how can it be, if my race car were that slow I'd be embarrassed to be on the track.

I wish we knew what minimum speed was. It's figured of of the last practice speed. This article is from 2014
it doesn't make any sense to me though: NASCAR sets the minimum speed off the fastest lap time in the final practice. A lap must be at least 115% of that time.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...m-speed-joey-logano-morgan-shepherd/12633809/

Last edited:
Here is what O'Donnel says about minimum speed..corporate nothing as usual
How does NASCAR set minimum speed?
“We take a percentage off the practice speeds. We can tweak that. It’s communicated to the garage in the drivers’ meeting and then on the radio from David Hoots on a Sunday, prior to the race. The spotters all know, the teams know as well.”

You start your day with 2 sets of tires.

You put set 2 on after you spin and flat-spot set 1.
They got more than 2 sets for the race, they don't belong racing if they are that slow.
I know how many sets they get.

That’s my way of saying that some of these folks are “racing” in a professional series that's beyond them technically and financially.

I wish we knew what minimum speed was. It's figured of of the last practice speed. This article is from 2014
it doesn't make any sense to me though: NASCAR sets the minimum speed off the fastest lap time in the final practice. A lap must be at least 115% of that time.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...m-speed-joey-logano-morgan-shepherd/12633809/
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

30.114 by Sauter in final practice x 1.15 = 34.631

These are qualifying times:

Tommy Regan - 35.383
Scott Stenzel - 36.224
Norm Benning - 37.856

Unless something has changed, they shouldn't even taken the green flag. And factor in that those times get even worse as tires wear, etc. Jennifer Jo Cobb qualified at 33.818 and probably wasn't anywhere close to that minimum speed after a few laps into a run.

So you are saying minimum speed is qualifying speed? Like you said, race trim would be much slower. That doesn't make any sense, you could go as slow as you want that way during the race right? There isn't much incentive that way to get faster, save the motor for the next race and collect your back marker money.

Minimum speed used to be 115% of the fastest speed turned during final practice for any event.

That way for years. Maybe Steve “adjusted” because field size. Closing speed matters. Benning should go home and run something slower.

Back
Top Bottom