Larson’s Talladega Wreck: Helmet Hit Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by ChexOrWrex, May 11, 2019.

1. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

We criticize NASCAR a ton and hold their feet to the fire but I believe we can all agree the department that have gotten 99.9% correct is driver safety.

Also it’s known that Larson wears the Simpson Hybrid Pro restraint that does allow more head movement compared to the standard HANS device.

Turtle84, LewTheShoe and gnomesayin like this.
  2. Pat

Pat Team Owner

I don't know what to say. How the restraints work with the brain is a mystery to me.

Johali likes this.
  3. ChexOrWrex

HANS device prevents the head and neck from lurching forward violently in a wreck in an attempt to prevent basil skull fractures and other head/neck injuries.

aunty dive, Greg and Pat like this.
  4. Pat

Pat Team Owner

Yeah. I know, but I don't see how stopping the head from lashing forward and back prevents the brain from moving inside the skull. My reasoning, which must be wrong, is the brain would move less if the skull moved with it. So this idea baffles me.

5. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

the head restraining device reduces the "period". For instance drop a brick on concrete, or drop a brick on a thick piece of foam. The difference is called the period of impact. Those belts believe it or not do stretch a bit, but Larson had his too loose and it allowed him to come in contact with the steering wheel.

ladyspartan16, Pat and Turtle84 like this.
  6. Pat

Pat Team Owner

Momentum being the factor that makes the 'period of impact' ? I can go with that.

StandOnIt likes this.
  7. ChexOrWrex

HANS device is engineered to prevent rotational motion of the skull, which is what causes most concussions. It’s not perfect but it’s damn good. The less the head moves, the better.

Pat and Greg like this.
  8. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

the neck bones are the problem. The head is heavy, and when it bounces back from hitting the wheel and the body is still moving forward, it snaps the neck. ugh.

Pat and KTMLew01 like this.
  9. KTMLew01

KTMLew01 Team Owner

Basically the lower part of the skull breaks when the neck is whipped. That's what was killing the drivers back in 2000/2001.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilar_skull_fracture

Plus, if you read Jr's book he mentions what you would think makes sense isn't actually correct. He wanted some space in the seat/headrest area to allow his head to move in a crash. Problem is when the head does contact headrest it stops the skull too quickly. Brain splash=concussion. After his issues he made it so helmet fit in headrest much closer. This is actually what killed Eric Medlin a few years ago in a funny car. They had the roll cage too far from the drivers head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Medlen

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Pat likes this.
  10. Pat

Pat Team Owner

Oh. That makes sense.

11. Pat

Pat Team Owner

I should probably read that book.

12. KTMLew01

KTMLew01 Team Owner

IMO it could be 100 pages shorter and be fine. Some circling around and rambling. Maybe that's from running road courses though...:dirtbike:

Pat likes this.
  13. Pat

Pat Team Owner

LOL :laugh:

14. Greg

Greg 2014 RF YAHOO CHAMP Your leader

I think they should be required to wear the standard HANS, no hybrids to allow more movement . I realize the seatbelts have to be tight but even if they are I am still for keeping the head and neck as secure as possible with the standard HANS.

TexasRaceLady likes this.
  15. TexasRaceLady

TexasRaceLady Plank Owner Contributor

I really enjoyed it. Easy to read, too.

Pat likes this.