Le Mans

J

Jameswnh

For anyone interested, the 24 Hours of Le Mans is this weekend, and Speed has 22 hours of it.

It's pretty much Audi's show in LMP1, but there will be plenty to watch in LMP2 and both GT classes, as well as the Delta Wing.

Edit: I don't know why I put this in open wheel racing. Feel free to move it to sports car racing.

Which 2 hours did Speed decide were not important?

In the middle of the night so the announcers can take a rest.

Actually, I just looked at the cable guide. Starts at 8:30, runs till 1:00. 1.5 hours of Cup qualifying, then back the Le Mans until 7:00 for 30 minutes of Speed Center, then back to Le Mans till the end.

Actually, I just looked at the cable guide. Starts at 8:30, runs till 1:00. 1.5 hours of Cup qualifying, then back the Le Mans until 7:00 for 30 minutes of Speed Center, then back to Le Mans till the end.

I'm shocked. SPEED normally can't air more than six hours of this race... glad they found room for motorsports coverage that's not NASCAR branded.

Audi might be expected to come out on top in LMP1/overall, but there is still a noteworthy battle between two interesting pieces of machinery. Both Audi and Toyota are running hybrids that are very different from each other. The Audi is a turbodiesel with a flywheel hybrid system (kind of like KERS) that powers the front wheels when it goes over 75mph, so it essentially becomes four wheel drive. The Toyota, OTOH, is a naturally aspirated, more traditional supercapacitor system.

Well, the Delta Wing meets an unfortunate end. Run right off the track by a Toyota after 6 hours. Not a failure as far as the project itself goes, but all we take away at this point is that it turns respectable laps at La Sarthe. No small achievement, but it would have been great to see it finish.

Back
Top Bottom