Looking @ a new truck - tow vehicle

They aren't alone in the DEF government crap. I have heard that they work pretty good if you don't idle a lot. At least on the big truck diesels, but it makes sense on the others. The Def system re-burns the soot and diesels make the most at idle.
I'd never heard of DEF before this thread.

I'd never heard of DEF before this thread.
I think that DEF stuff makes my new Ford blows flowers out it's exhaust.

It the GMC that I just got rid of, instead of using DEF, it went through a regeneration process every so often. That seemed much simpler. I believe that the GM used the post injection fuel rather than DEF to burn the carbon. It's all magic too me.

In any event, it's just another thing to do with the Ford along with the next oil change. Simply top off the DEF tanks which is another cap alongside the cap for the diesel fuel. My DEF tank has a capacity of just over 7 gallons. I'm not sure how much of it will be used between oil changes but I guess I'll find out soon enough. Something called BLUEDEF manufactured by Peak is $11.52 for 2.5 gal @ Walmart. I also understand that there are DEF filling pumps at some truck stops although I've never noticed them.

Last edited:
I think that DEF stuff makes my new Ford blows flowers out it's exhaust.

It the GMC that I just got rid of, instead of using DEF, it went through a regeneration process every so often. That seemed much simpler. I believe that the GM used the post injection fuel rather than DEF to burn the carbon. It's all magic too me.

In any event, it's just another thing to do with the Ford along with the next oil change. Simply top off the DEF tanks which is another cap alongside the cap for the diesel fuel. My DEF tank has a capacity of just over 7 gallons. I'm not sure how much of it will be used between oil changes but I guess I'll find out soon enough. Something called BLUEDEF manufactured by Peak is $11.52 for 2.5 gal @ Walmart. I also understand that there are DEF filling pumps at some truck stops although I've never noticed them.
GM uses what is DPF...... Diesel Particulation Filter.....when the computer senses the filter is getting plugged it goes into a regeneration process which can increase exhaust temps to reach around 1500 degrees to burn out the particulates.... DEF fluid is basically urea..... (nitrogen)...... It needs to have a rating of between 28 and 32 percent...... if it falls below or above that value..... your engine will derate and the power will be cut back in increments...... if the problem isn't corrected.... you will eventually not be able to drive the vehicle....... This why it is imperative that the DEF you buy is fresh and the highest quality..... Shelf life, temperature variations...... (It shouldn't be stored at extremely high heat or exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods...... It's tricky..... All our tractors and farm equipment use DEF.... (John Deere uses DPF.... Kubota also)...... Over half of our service calls are related to DEF problems ...... I don't think you will have any issues as long as you buy it in the sealed jugs.... I don't know I would trust the bulk truck stops..........

Put enough break in miles on the truck to make the first tow today. Worked awesome! Just a short haul. Wednesday I will be traveling about 60 miles as a test run. The following week will be a 400+ mile tow one way. Took it up to a local parking lot to check out ride height and my buddy took this pic when I pulled out to head home. The new setup.....

a41db2ebf9d0deebf26832e7eb693dfb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Put enough break in miles on the truck to make the first tow today. Worked awesome! Just a short haul. Wednesday I will be traveling about 60 miles as a test run. The following week will be a 400+ mile tow one way. Took it up to a local parking lot to check out ride height and my buddy took this pic when I pulled out to head home. The new setup.....

a41db2ebf9d0deebf26832e7eb693dfb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
That silver truck looks great with the fiver. Now I'm jealous.

First oil change scheduled for tomorrow. First is free from the dealer. 'Free' meaning I already paid for it when I bought the truck. They are also to top off all the fluids including DEF and do a general checkup of the truck. Turned it over 4000 last Wednesday. My local Ford dealer has a separate shop for diesel vs. gas. Because of that, it's rel easy to get an appointment on short notice.

Sharp looking setup!! Good luck with everything! Hope it performs as well, if not better, than you hope. Almost makes me long for days when we had a motorhome. Almost, but not quite. ;)

So..... At the dealer now for it's first free oil change along with topping off the fluids. Including DEF..... Which I had figured that was going to be on my dime. Glad it wasn't though as it was just about on E. Also today..... State inspection, which is also free for the life of me vehicle. All in all pretty happy with the service I'm getting here. They got me right in at 8 am which was sweet. I'll have a long day to get things done after I get out of here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Man that's a big 5'er for such a little truck. How's it handle with cross winds? Any tail wagging?

Man that's a big 5'er for such a little truck. How's it handle with cross winds? Any tail wagging?
That’s the smallest toy hauler 5er that Keystone manufactured at the time. I think it’s omly 31’ from pin to the rear. People are running much larger setups than what mine is. I think you’re talking trailer sway. No, I’ve never experienced that since I moved away from a standard trailer. It hauls great.

ah, didnt realize it was a toy hauler. Not as bad then.
My GCWR with that F-250 SD 6.7L Diesel with the installed towing package is 25,700 lbs. My SuperCab configuration weighs in @ 9,900 lbs allowing for a pin weight of 3,560 lbs. Weighed in @ the CAT Scales, my RV with a standard load is 12,605 lbs with a pin weight of 2885 lbs. So in all, I have more than enough truck to haul safely and well within the limits and laws for that setup.

It is scary to see what some people are hauling out there and at the speeds that they are going. As they say, accidents waiting to happen. It's gotta pi$$ off the truckers out there to know the rules and regulations that they have to get through, then they see an obviously overloaded setup drive right on by the Weigh Station they're sitting at. I have little doubt that if they were to start forcing RV's to pull into and go through that set of scales, their hold area for infractions would look like the largest of RV parks.

My GCWR with that F-250 SD 6.7L Diesel with the installed towing package is 25,700 lbs. My SuperCab configuration weighs in @ 9,900 lbs allowing for a pin weight of 3,560 lbs. Weighed in @ the CAT Scales, my RV with a standard load is 12,605 lbs with a pin weight of 2885 lbs. So in all, I have more than enough truck to haul safely and well within the limits and laws for that setup.

It is scary to see what some people are hauling out there and at the speeds that they are going. As they say, accidents waiting to happen. It's gotta pi$$ off the truckers out there to know the rules and regulations that they have to get through, then they see an obviously overloaded setup drive right on by the Weigh Station they're sitting at. I have little doubt that if they were to start forcing RV's to pull into and go through that set of scales, their hold area for infractions would look like the largest of RV parks.
Yep. As you know I'm way under my limit also. My cruising speed is 65 MPH as per the law, insurance and common sense.

Ordered this the other day for the truck. Arrived today. I'll install it later when it's due for it's next oil change. Had one in the last truck. Saves time and messy hands.

35f4f96053c95be89f1d3f188ea65177.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well..... Took a semi hit on the driver's side of my pickemup truck Thursday afternoon. Lucky to be at a slow speed. Still, extensive damage as everything but the hood, roof and tailgate took a hit. Estimate scheduled for this Thursday. Pic simply doesn't do it justice.....

Wow! Glad you're OK bud
Slow speed hit. I was only doing 25mph through some little town when a flatbed pulled out from my left, trying to make a left, as I was driving by. Here said he never saw me. I can only guess he was distracted or never looked. Whatever the case, it sucks. I usually don't use my truck to drive to our from my terminal. Just happened to that day because of a fresh snowfall the night before. Wanted the 4x4 capabilities for my morning commute. I only hope to get it repaired before camping season. Got lots of stuff planned.

Glad you were not injured. Gray skies, cloudy, gray day, gray colored pickemmeup truck.
Wonder if this was a coincidence?

Just good to know you came through unscathed. Think the insurance will give you a replacement check? Or tell you to fix whatcha got?

glad you are ok......

I am sure his insurance is paying......

Glad you were not injured. Gray skies, cloudy, gray day, gray colored pickemmeup truck.
Wonder if this was a coincidence?

Just good to know you came through unscathed. Think the insurance will give you a replacement check? Or tell you to fix whatcha got?
glad you are ok......

I am sure his insurance is paying......
Yeah, their insurance will be paying for this. The estimate isn't going to get done until this Thursday.

Replacement..... Now that'd be awesome. If that happened, I'd tell them that a rear wheel feel off of each the left and right side of the rear of my F350 duly. Not sure they would but it but it'd be worth a shot. ;)

Just sucks that I finally had a truck that I was completely happy with and it's now been wrecked through no fault of my own. I don't want any body filler in what should be a blemished free ride. Just wouldn't be the same.

Yeah, their insurance will be paying for this. The estimate isn't going to get done until this Thursday.

Replacement..... Now that'd be awesome. If that happened, I'd tell them that a rear wheel feel off of each the left and right side of the rear of my F350 duly. Not sure they would but it but it'd be worth a shot. ;)

Just sucks that I finally had a truck that I was completely happy with and it's now been wrecked through no fault of my own. I don't want any body filler in what should be a blemished free ride. Just wouldn't be the same.

Agreed. doesnt seem fair to have a truck with bodyfill no fault of your own,
Did yo and the driver talk 18 wheeler driving at all?

Yeah, talked a little bit. He's only been driving a little over a year.
Well, I know who won't have a job after this.

Glad you're alright, did you make sure to exagerate your physical injuries as well?:D

Kidding, kidding. Hopefully, everything will be taken care of quickly for you. Waiting is always the worst part, it took three in a half weeks when my other car was finally seen as totalled out.

Well, I know who won't have a job after this.

Glad you're alright, did you make sure to exagerate your physical injuries as well?:D

Kidding, kidding. Hopefully, everything will be taken care of quickly for you. Waiting is always the worst part, it took three in a half weeks when my other car was finally seen as totalled out.
Lol.... Yeah, probably should have retained Dewey, Cheatem & Howe.

This will probably take a long time to get fixed round these parts. Prime deer strike season going on. Lots of vehicles in the shops.

Initial estimate at over $14,000. Could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Most panels are all-but-literally glue-on these days. Door skin? glues on. Front Fender? Easy on/off. Bed side? Probably bolts on, maybe a few stitch welds if you're lucky.

Most panels are all-but-literally glue-on these days. Door skin? glues on. Front Fender? Easy on/off. Bed side? Probably bolts on, maybe a few stitch welds if you're lucky.
Whatever it takes, I just want my truck back. Not many miles on it and lots of plans ahead for the summer camping season.

Back
Top Bottom