Looking In The Crystal Ball?

71Fan

Looking In The Crystal Ball?
July 25, 2002

By: Mark Moore
Daytona Beach, February 2050

An old man, in his eighties if a day, and his young great-grandson were riding in the man's electric car down Volusia Blvd. one chilly, foggy day, when out of the mist arose a huge, run down, crumbling edifice. It captured the boy's attention, and he turned to his great-grandfather and asked him, "Paw Paw, what's that big round looking thing?" The old man looked over at what the boy was pointing at, and chuckled.

"Well boy, that there is what used to be the Daytona International Speedway," the man said. "That was the shrine of the birthplace of speed. Now, it's just a crumbling monument to greed son." "What do you mean Paw Paw?"

As they drove down the road, the man saw the gate to the racetrack had fallen. He turned in, telling his great-grandson, "I'll show you what I'm talking about." They drove over the cracked, weed pocked road through the fourth turn tunnel. As they entered the speedway, the old man winced at the sight of it in ruins, as the little boy looked around in amazement. "Wow Paw Paw, this place is so big! What did they do here?" The man stopped the car, and the two got out. They looked around the once mighty grounds, seeing the grandstands twisted and buckled, falling in on themselves, the towering banked turns riddled with holes, their pavement cracked and broken. The man's eyes misted up, as he began to talk, telling his great-grandson the sad tale.

"Well boy, once upon a time, they raced cars here. This place was the dream of a man, who built it, raised the sport up to great heights, then turned it over to his son. His son took it even higher, then lost sight of his father's vision, and the ones that followed him had no vision, except, how much money could be made."

"At one time, the greatest drivers in the world raced here, with names like Petty, Earnhardt, Pearson, Gordon, & Yarborough, among countless others, challenging themselves and their cars, going to the limits of their abilities. They didn't just race here, but, all over the country, week after week, from February to November." A cold, eerie wind began to blow, and the man thought for a moment he could hear the roar of engines mixed in it. He shook his head to clear it, took a breath, and continued.

"As more time went by, and the crowds grew ever larger, attracted by the bravery of these men, the people running the organization saw that by going to more tracks, whether they were suitable for the type of racing that had made the sport so popular or not, they could make more money than they had dreamed of. The racing started to suffer, but, that no longer mattered in their eyes. All they saw were dollar signs. The cars, which had looked like the ones a man could buy at the dealership, soon became so slippery, that they looked identical, and could only be told apart by decals for the head and tail lights." Out of the corner of his eye, the old man thought he saw an electric blue car with the number forty-three on it, roaring through the remains of the tri-oval, a black car with number three on it's side screaming behind it, in furious chase. He blinked, realizing that it was just water in his eye, probably from the eerie wind that swirled around them.

"The slicker the cars got, they less they could race side by side. Pretty soon, between the slick cars, and the newer tracks not being right for exciting racing, the races began to look like parades. Still, the men in charge took little notice of the problems, having instead found another way to make even more money. If they licensed their once proud name to any product they could, the money rolled in. New fans, attracted by the marketing push showed up. They hadn't seen what the racing had once been, and thought this was the greatest thing they had seen. It wasn't their fault. They were swept up by the hype. The drivers were still great, but, had no say in what went on." The man glanced over at turn three, seeing in his memory, Donnie Allison and Cale Yarborough fighting, their wrecked cars still smoking behind them.

"After a while, the excitement began to wear off for the new fans, and the old fans had given up on what had taken the place of the sport they loved. The marketing overkill began to get annoying. Ticket prices got so high, that only corporations could afford to buy them, usually the sponsors of the cars. With attendance falling rapidly, the sponsors saw no return on their investment, and began to leave as well. They TV ratings, which had grown so high tumbled as well. Soon the sport began to retreat back to it's roots, where it was once again man against man, going for the win. The greedy people saw this, but, it was too late. They had ignored the warning signs for years. Instead of fixing what was wrong before it got out of hand, they had just let the money roll in. They tried to fix it, but, everyone who knew what to do right was gone, and the ones running it now had no idea. They soon gave up, and, took their money with them. After all, they were rich, what did it matter to them if they had ruined a great sport?" Now the man was sure he could see the Wood brothers cranking out a blindingly fast pit stop on a white and maroon Mercury. He sighed, realizing time had passed him by.

"Well boy, I guess we better get back, or you know they'll worry about us." As the two got in the car, the old man took a last look around the remains of the derelict old track, lifting his hand in a silent salute to the men who had made it all so great at one time. They drove off in the fog, leaving the memories behind.

now thats too spooky, i was ready to cry. seems like those times are closer than we think. you should email that to somebody in nascar

naaaahhhh, people been foretelling the death of nascar for a while now. Folks want cookie-cutter parades that what they are going to get. We've got one here and tho I go, I have a lot more fun at the Bullring.

Silliest thing about Vegas is they sked the WOO races at the half mile dirt on the same weekend. I think next year I'm going to do the WOO instead of the Busch and Cup.

why in the world would they schedule both events at the same time. now that doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

They did at Charlotte in the spring too. But it was all in the same complex, so you could go to all three...

Man if I had been telling that story to my Grandson,I would have lost his attention about as fast as Nascar Inc. Is tearing this sport down.Good story.

That's a good little story there, probably not too far off from where this sport will end up eventually. Thanks for the story, 71fan.

Good story. Let's hope it never comes true. *sigh*

WoO also runs a TMS the same weekend as Cup --- works pretty well. The crowd from q'ing on Friday and the BGN on Saturday are pretty well gone by the time the dirt track opens. Thousands of people stay for both.

Sadly enough that story is right on track. If NASCAR does not look at what's happening to it's racing then the fans will drop like flies. I know I'm getting extremely bored with the racing that were are seeing these days. The aero-push sucks, the tires suck and beating someone with just a good handling race car has gone by the wayside.:rolleyes:

I'm getting sick of "dirty air" being the excuse for racing in a danged line for most of the race. How much line-racing can fans really take before Nascar's popularity ends falling on itself?

bow down too the almighty $$$$....the end is nearer than you think....(Now I sound like one of those crackpots in the long robe waving the sign that says the end is near :)

LOL mliteFan. That story could be the future of Nascar. But I said could, not will. I dont think even Nascar would go that far. Fans would be upset at what the racing was and Nascar would do something about it. Maybe this will happen in many many years when technology is all the cars are made of, but i dont see it in the near future.

The only thing I see in the future is the "new" fans (the ones that came because of the hype) leaving.....and not all of them either. Some will stick and truly fall in love with stock car racing. I see a fall off of the fans........but only the temporary fans produced by the hype. The sport will realize an increase but not the huge increase seen in the last couple years. It'll settle down and be, more or less, like the sport we all watched for years. I actually think that will happen when NASCAR realizes that TV contracts have cost them more than they bargained for........they'll negotiate a better one next time. Maybe even opt for the best in the business......ESPN.:)

The sad part is, I actually look foward to the NASCAR Classic races they have on TV more then I do the races yet to be run. It's been this way for awhile now.

Gotta tell ya JB99. Growing up at Riverside I got to watch a whole lot of different kinds of cars run, but there was something special about these big ol lunkermobiles (without powere steering btw) being muscled thru the turns and powering down the straights.

nascar's spec car stuff of today is far removed from the glory days.

Originally posted by JB99
The sad part is, I actually look foward to the NASCAR Classic races they have on TV more then I do the races yet to be run. It's been this way for awhile now.
They are very enjoyable to watch,I hope they keep running more of them,The one thing I don't like,and this might make some people mad.Is they allways show the ones with Dale Sr. winning.Show some one hit wonders winning once in a while,or some other great race car drivers,Hell I could even stand to see some with Gordon winning.:)

71Fan, did you ever get out to Riverside to watch Tim Richmond race? If you did, I am a very jelious man heh. He was awsome there.

Yea, I saw Tim run. Didn't really pick him out or anything. Didn't he win it one year? Not sure. Where's the Scrabble Dude when ya need him?

btw, the Pocono trivia answer is DW

Workin' his tail off, sad to say. :)

Yes Tim won both races at Riverside in 1982. In an amazing display of consistency he qualified 4th and won both races.

DW led the most times at Pocono, wonder if it was competitive leads or points stuff. DW and Junior figured the value of those 5 bonus point for leading a lap and made use of staying out to get a lap led before most others did. I'll have to think back and see if I can recall any classic duels DW had at Pocono.

Hey Scrab,
Been missin' your input around here, good to have ya' back.

Yup.....staying out to grab five more points was something Dave did all the time late in his career. His win (at Richmond?) was a result of just that. Dave is an excellent rain dancer.:D

Back
Top Bottom