Looks like NASCAR races will move to streaming services in next contract

"NASCAR’s TV deal with Fox and NBC runs through 2024. Miller was asked about the possibility that when the new NASCAR deal is negotiated some of the races might be on the Peacock subscription service. "

I'm paying for NASCAR now, via a cable tier I wouldn't otherwise have. I would have no objection to paying for Peacock, or any other service.

But I want to have to pay for only ONE service. Either leave everything on cable or move everything to one streaming service, I don't really care which. Don't make me pay for both Peacock and NBCSN.

“They are not paying to see a couple races,” he said. “They are buying a subscription to Peacock which gives you not just the racing but also gives you an enormous amount of other programming. I believe at last count, Peacock has over 18,000 hours of programming, other entertainment, sports and news, so that you pay 4.99 a month for Peacock, and you get all of that, all of that product.”

The only problem is there is nothing else on Peacock that I care to watch.

Like mentioned above if all the races were streamed and I had to buy a subscription I'd be ok, but when some are OTA, some cable (pay), and then maybe an additional fee for streaming you might lose me on that one........

"NASCAR’s TV deal with Fox and NBC runs through 2024. Miller was asked about the possibility that when the new NASCAR deal is negotiated some of the races might be on the Peacock subscription service. "

I'm paying for NASCAR now, via a cable tier I wouldn't otherwise have. I would have no objection to paying for Peacock, or any other service.

But I want to have to pay for only ONE service. Either leave everything on cable or move everything to one streaming service, I don't really care which. Don't make me pay for both Peacock and NBCSN.
There won’t be an NBCSN to pay for soon.

USA is already available in a very large number of homes (more than NBCSN) and some of the programming folks there apparently don’t want absolutely all of the existing NBCSN content that needs to be moved. So driving Peacock subs is a win for the company as a whole.

There won’t be an NBCSN to pay for soon.

USA is already available in a very large number of homes (more than NBCSN) and some of the programming folks there apparently don’t want absolutely all of the existing NBCSN content that needs to be moved. So driving Peacock subs is a win for the company as a whole.
There won't be an NBCSN to pay for anymore but the issue at least for me is that I pay extra on my cable bill for a bundle that included NBCSN with FS1 and the other sports channels. So to keep FS1 I'll still be paying that fee, plus now I'll need Peacock too? It's ridiculous. These streaming services are getting out of hand with how many people need to keep up with everything. It's getting to be as expensive as cable if you have Netflix, ESPN, Disney Plus, Peacock, HULU, Paramount Plus, HBO, and whatever else is out there now. Seems like there's a new "gotta have it" streaming service every other month.

“They are not paying to see a couple races,” he said. “They are buying a subscription to Peacock which gives you not just the racing but also gives you an enormous amount of other programming. I believe at last count, Peacock has over 18,000 hours of programming, other entertainment, sports and news, so that you pay 4.99 a month for Peacock, and you get all of that, all of that product.”

Like mentioned above if all the races were streamed and I had to buy a subscription I'd be ok, but when some are OTA, some cable (pay), and then maybe an additional fee for streaming you might lose me on that one........

Peacock is $4.99/month. And it's likely that EVERY NASCAR on NBC broadcast would be on there. So you'd be paying $4.99/month for NASCAR Cup, Xfinity, ARCA, IMSA, IndyCar, Supercross and other NBC Motorsports properties.

There won't be an NBCSN to pay for anymore but the issue at least for me is that I pay extra on my cable bill for a bundle that included NBCSN with FS1 and the other sports channels. So to keep FS1 I'll still be paying that fee, plus now I'll need Peacock too? It's ridiculous. These streaming services are getting out of hand with how many people need to keep up with everything. It's getting to be as expensive as cable if you have Netflix, ESPN, Disney Plus, Peacock, HULU, Paramount Plus, HBO, and whatever else is out there now. Seems like there's a new "gotta have it" streaming service every other month.

I get HBO Max for free. Disney/Hulu/ESPN are all on one bill. Netflix is ****** expensive for what they offer. I dumped Paramount Plus the second my CBS All Access subscription didn't carry over.

Peacock is $4.99/month. And it's likely that EVERY NASCAR on NBC broadcast would be on there. So you'd be paying $4.99/month for NASCAR Cup, Xfinity, ARCA, IMSA, IndyCar, Supercross and other NBC Motorsports properties.
Totally good with it. I watch Rally on their pay service, and the coverage is epic. I am willing to pay for quality coverage, and a commitment to the sport.

Man the 2010s were awesome. As I said back then, companies are not stupid. They're great at figuring out how to make money, people are going to be paying more with all of their subscriptions than they ever did with cable. Hell Spectrum is cheaper than Youtube TV anymore.

I will say though I don't think this is a good route for sports outside of regional games. I understand a Coastal Carolina game being on a streaming network, not a major league sport with millions of viewers a week. Risky stuff

Then you still have to pay an additional fee to watch the fox races. End of the day I'd still have to pay more than I'm paying now.......

I agree it’s getting pretty crazy, and there’s some research showing that people are already reaching plateaus as far as how many subs they’re willing to pay for at once. But as new as they are I’d expect the industry to right-size eventually once that data is more established - so far I’m finding myself rotating between three or four services depending on what shows have dropped or sports are in season. At least in IndyCar’s case Peacock can actually be a substitute for a pay TV service since it’ll offer simulcasting of every single race. If that’s a precursor for NASCAR coverage that’s a good thing, and in that case hopefully FOX eventually comes around and offers a similar service for cordcutters.

Streaming services used to be designed to target very niche audiences, and the larger media services wanted in on the money and have ruined it for the collective, IMO. I used pay $25 a month for the TV that I wanted to watch. Then, the obvious free OTA channels are available via antenna. With the streaming expansion, and everyone wanting a piece of the pie, that cost has had to grow as channels dissolved and created their own services, or a totally different channel on a different service. Now I pay around $50/mo and I can promise you I’m not going higher than that. If the races are not on the popular services that I already subscribe to, I’ll just miss the race or catch it on MRN. It’s not worth going back to paying cable prices to watch a single event a weekend. I’m not watching those other 18,000 hours of content, so I’m not paying for it.

They wont have every race on Peacock. They will have them also on USA and NBC

I have Xfinity for cable and with that I get HBO Max, Peacock as well. I pay for Disney + , I don’t even know how much that is and we use my sister in law’s Netflix. I’m always going to keep cable because this streaming fad is going to go back to cable once people figure out it’s more money to stream and harder to find shows they like than it was to cut cable where everything was there with just the click of a remote. I do think streaming will always be here but not at the level it’s at now, it’s eventually going to end up as a compliment to whatever cable package you pay for each month. I am more than willing to pay for Dirt Vision once I get a more updated Smart TV where I can stream the app through the TV instead of glaring at an IPad for 3 hours

I have Xfinity for cable and with that I get HBO Max, Peacock as well. I pay for Disney + , I don’t even know how much that is and we use my sister in law’s Netflix. I’m always going to keep cable because this streaming fad is going to go back to cable once people figure out it’s more money to stream and harder to find shows they like than it was to cut cable where everything was there with just the click of a remote. I do think streaming will always be here but not at the level it’s at now, it’s eventually going to end up as a compliment to whatever cable package you pay for each month. I am more than willing to pay for Dirt Vision once I get a more updated Smart TV where I can stream the app through the TV instead of glaring at an IPad for 3 hours
Streaming will dominate cable in the next few years. Cable will go away like the home telephone.

I shut down cable Jun 10th. Their stupid business plan has a contract that isn't a contract that guaranteed same price for 2 years, Then shoots up. New customer gets discounted price. Have AT&T equipment being delivered today, supposedly (FedEx). DSL and sloooooow. I'll give that a month to see how it works. If, as I suspect, it's worthless I'll go back to cable internet only. Probably use Sling to get the news channels I watch. OTA is useless here. Even if I go back to cable, all the stuff together will be maybe $120 month. Was paying $163. YouTube TV has gotten too expensive and keeps going up. Nope.

Reactions: Pat
Streaming will dominate cable in the next few years. Cable will go away like the home telephone.
Only internet option here is cable or DSL. DSL is thru copper phone lines. VERY limited. AT&T has some sort of special hotspot you mount outside the house then run wires into a jack. Sales guy says he's out in the country & using their hotspot. I'll know more in month or so.

Then you still have to pay an additional fee to watch the fox races. End of the day I'd still have to pay more than I'm paying now.......

Fox is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY behind the curve on streaming and always has been and probably always will be. They only care about the Fox News streaming service.

But if they're out of the next TV deal, which is unlikely given how long Fox and NASCAR have been partners, then it could be all NBC.

I know that my WRC.com stream is a different beast in so many ways, but I have to tell you, I love it. About $100 bucks a season, and it's all geared to the informed fan. None of this what the drivers do on vacation horse****. All about the cars, strategy, etc. Couple that with the app, and I've got splits, in car, maps--freaking everything. Love it.

Frankly, I don't understand why anything on the big 3 networks are on over-the-air TV or cable. Local TV stations (at least in my area) are pretty much some syndicated shows, a lot of local news programming, 30 minutes of national news, and 3 hours of "network TV." These networks no longer need local TV stations that have done nothing but water down their picture quality for all these sub-channels that hardly nobody watches. Cable companies have watered down their PQ for years and even DirecTV is doing it. Put it on a streaming service and control is 100%.

I shut down cable Jun 10th. Their stupid business plan has a contract that isn't a contract that guaranteed same price for 2 years, Then shoots up. New customer gets discounted price. Have AT&T equipment being delivered today, supposedly (FedEx). DSL and sloooooow. I'll give that a month to see how it works. If, as I suspect, it's worthless I'll go back to cable internet only. Probably use Sling to get the news channels I watch. OTA is useless here. Even if I go back to cable, all the stuff together will be maybe $120 month. Was paying $163. YouTube TV has gotten too expensive and keeps going up. Nope.
I'm doing the opposite. Cable internet is returning to my house this Wednesday. After I see what the quality is like, I will disconnect my long, long relationship with AT&T. I've been trying to get rid of them for years. The money I'm paying for a land line and DSL is not worth it. You will get a better DSL package than I have for sure. My WiFi is ancient. I'm keeping DISH for TV because I don't like having all my eggs in one basket.

This. Hell, other than motorsports, golf, PBS, and TCM, there's little left on cable I care to watch. My Darling Bride has a major Hallmark networks addiction. I think the last scheduled network program I watched regularly was 'Big Bang Theory', and it was probably the only one I was watching then. I couldn't tell you the last time I looked at ABC.

But I understand cable TV and DVRs. Can anyone recommend a good 'Streaming TV for Dummies' resource, preferably one that is NOT a video? Something I can read, not have read to me.

Last edited:
Frankly, I don't understand why anything on the big 3 networks are on over-the-air TV or cable. Local TV stations (at least in my area) are pretty much some syndicated shows, a lot of local news programming, 30 minutes of national news, and 3 hours of "network TV." These networks no longer need local TV stations that have done nothing but water down their picture quality for all these sub-channels that hardly nobody watches. Cable companies have watered down their PQ for years and even DirecTV is doing it. Put it on a streaming service and control is 100%.
Right now, the DVR timers show 14 of my favorites shows are on CBS. So, we are not all the same regarding OTA programming

They try jacking it up once that new customer contract is up. When I see it hit my bill I call to complain with the threat of cutting the cord and they relock me in at $10-15 cheaper for the next two years. AT&T internet...i hated it. Found it super slow, good luck

Back
Top Bottom