Loudon Sausage Festival

A

abooja

Hey guys,

I was stuck in Brooklyn all weekend, but that didn't stop me from preparing my weekly feast for race weekend. :)

This time, it was a two-parter -- Saturday's dinner easily converted into Sunday's linner (dunch?). I've been trained from an early age to eat dinner on Sunday afternoons. Must be an Italian thing.

Part One: The Sausage & Pepper Sandwich

- grilled Italian sweet sausage with fennel
- real Italian bread
- red, yellow, and green bell peppers
- Vidalia onions

Part Two: Mock Puttanesca

This one requires a bit more explaining. Real puttanesca contains anchovies and capers (blech!), so this is really nothing at all like it. I just started calling it that, and never bothered to come up with a better name. Sausage ragu probably makes more sense.

- whole, plum tomatoes
- calamata olives
- leftover grilled sausage, broken up
- leftover fried peppers and onions
- garlic
- fresh basil
- rigatoni (Barilla, of course!)
- Parmesan and Romano cheeses

Man, I have to admit -- both these dishes were amazing. Sausage & peppers are easy enough, but I never make it. I can't get good Italian sausages in my new neighborhood, plus they're incredibly fattening. I've made the Mock Puttanesca many times before, but I usually use ground pork or pan fry whatever kind of lame Italian sausages I can find near me. I also usually roast red peppers, not fry a bunch of different colored ones. This version certainly came out the best. I wish I hadn't left the extra quart of "gravy" (as my father calls it) with my folks. :rolleyes:

I'll post the 2nd photo separately.

The Mock Puttanesca

(Trust me...it tasted a whole lot better than it looks!)

Looks pretty good to me. I could eat pasta , well more often than most foods anyway.

Abooja, you are a gourmet chef for sure.:chef: So when you gonna open that resturant of yours? I'll be the first one in line.:)

I have never, ever met a sausage I didn't like. That looks awesome aboo.

I spent my fair share of time cooking this weekend too. Made my world famous stuffed peppers Saturday for my folks' anniversary. Then Sunday I made something called Tex Mex Lasagna. Hadn't made that one in a while. Unfortunately, I do not possess a digital camera, so no pics of these delicasies. :(

hmmm mmmmm good! I think I gained 20 pounds just from your description!:satisfied

Abooja will be the soup nazi of Italian cooking:chef:.

"No lasagna fo you"

Hey Emerald[Abooja]Lagase.You got a blues band that plays while you are fixin your vettles?:D How was the boxing match?Did you put your hair up like Don Kings?:fro: :p Have a great day lady.:)

Hey, Pbunch! Actually had to do some work today. Go figure!

Nope, no blues band, but I was listening to Hooked on Classics II and III a lot this weekend. There are some good, patriotic medleys on those cd's. The neighbors must have just loved it! :p

The boxing match was awesome! Did anyone else see it? I'm talking about Oscar De la Hoya VS Fernando Vargas, of course: the pretty-boy VS the supposedly real deal Mexican. Dale Jr., I mean, De la Hoya kicked his butt! Lots of fun to watch, as was one of the undercards.

Hope your Monday hasn't been blue, buddy. :)

No blue note here today Abooja just sittin here lookin pretty,and the sweat is just a flyin.:D Have a gosh darn good week my friend.:)

You could put a G String on it TRL,and have it do a little strip tease for you.:p

Originally posted by B.C. - 24
Abooja, you are a gourmet chef for sure.:chef: So when you gonna open that resturant of yours?  I'll be the first one in line.:)

Someone told me the way to make a little money in the restaurant business is to start with a lot of money.:(

Hey, how did I miss this?!

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
I have never, ever met a sausage I didn't like.  That looks awesome aboo.
:ROFLMFAO:

And thanks! :)

I spent my fair share of time cooking this weekend too.  Made my world famous stuffed peppers Saturday for my folks' anniversary.  Then Sunday I made something called Tex Mex Lasagna.  Hadn't made that one in a while.  Unfortunately, I do not possess a digital camera, so no pics of these delicasies.  :(
[/b]

Sounds good, Ward!

Say, would you mind passing on that recipe to me? I can PM you my email address, if you wouldn't mind. I've heard so much about it that I feel like I'm missing out! :D

Have gotta get these old eyes checked soon.

Trying for the life of me to figure out why London would have a sausage festival and if they did why would boo write about it....:eek:

Food looked great, gotta get Paul to add the scratch and sniff option.:D

Sniff!Sniff!Sniff!,,,,,,,,,,Sniff Sniff,,,,,,,,,Snif!Snif!:soldier: Sniff!Sniff!,,,,,,Sniff!Sniff! :p

Pbunch, you remind me of my dog, Cato, with all that sniffing of yours. I caught him nosing around my pasta when I was in the next room, watching the race on a much bigger television. Cato watched it on the tiny t.v. in the kitchen. :D

I must confess...I totally set him up. Put the plate right at the corner edge of the table, pushed him towards it, and fanned the aroma in his direction. Very mean of me. :)

No problem, aboo. Which one ya want? Neither is all that elaborate but they are both gooooooooood. I mean, how tough can it be if step one is "Brown and drain ground beef"? :D

TnWard,Did you invent hamburger helper,and sell the idea to Mrs.Crocker?:D I had a leftover pepper last night,even better 2nd time around.I made some cornbread,and fried taters to go with it.Threw in some green onions,Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!Good stuff for sure.:)

Thank you kindly pbunch. They are good leftover. Had one myself last night with a roastin ear from the garden. Make you slap your mamma. :)

No problem, aboo.  Which one ya want?  Neither is all that elaborate but they are both gooooooooood.  I mean, how tough can it be if step one is "Brown and drain ground beef"?  :D

Hmmm...didn't know you had more than one! I'll take 'em both, if you don't mind, if it's not too much trouble... :)

I'd better not make it for my folks, though. My dad won't take too kindly to me slapping my mother! :p

BTW, if we ever have a r-f picnic or something, that'll have to be the honorary dish.

Back
Top Bottom