Louise Smith????

71Fan

Louise Smith along with David Pearson, Cotton Owens, Dick Brooks, Roger Mandeville, James Hylton, Larry Pearson, Rex White, Bud Moore and Louise Smith are all going racing TODAY at Piedmont Interstate Fairgrounds track in Spartanburg to raise money for a proposed Motor Racing Museum of the South in Spartanburg.

10am......be there.....send pictures.....get autographs....better yer, send airfare asap.....oh to live anywhere at all nearby....sigh.

"They told me if I saw a red flag to stop, They didn't say anything about the checkered flag. I wondered where all the cars were and then as I was all alone on the track, I noticed them all in the pits. They finally threw the red flag and I pulled in. I had finished third. "

"I enjoyed every minute of it, I traveled all over North America, racing everywhere I could, and I had fun with it. I didn't make a whole lot of money, but if I could do it again today, I'd do it, and I think I'd make it."
--Louise Smith

That is one of the most interesting starting fields I've seen in a long time. Should be a bunch of fun!
:)

That has got to be one of the best real racer quotes ever....

What ya mean it's over?:D

She whooped em 38 times. Maybe she can do it again. God I wish I lived near there. Maybe they are going race motorized wheelchairs, or those little three wheel scoot-arounds with the shopping baskets on them.

And yer right, what a lineup. Champions all.

I heard about that I wish I was able to go but Im too busy worrking and stuff

Originally posted by pettyfan4life
I heard about that I wish I was able to go but Im too busy worrking and stuff

Surely you are creative enough to find some excuse to be among the missing for a bit!:)

That is one my favorite quotes of all time 71! Been holding on to that one for a while waiting for a good opportunity to use it.

How old would you say some of these folks are now?

It'll probably be a remarkable sight! Wish I could be there, too. :)

Louise was there but she doesn't race anymore. She is a remarkable woman with many of good stories to tell about the old days. Most of these racers are in thier late 60's and 70's and no they didn't race wheelchairs. Go to "Other Racing" "Vintage Racing" tread to see the cars that were running at Spartanburg today.

Louise started racing in 46 she was 29 at the time. She is 85 now but the way she carries on you would think she is 40.

Back
Top Bottom