Martin Rookie

P

pbunch

Looks like ol Marks boy is getting a good leg up in racing.Hell maybe he can win a cup.:D

Matt Flies Through Points Races on Oct. 2
by Rick Maynard

The track was in great shape, the weather was cool, and the driver was raring to go.

It was the perfect recipe for fast lap times at New Smyrna Quarter Midget Raceway on Oct. 2, and Matt Martin made the most of it.

“It was the best night we’ve ever had at New Smyrna,” said Matt’s crew chief Shane Henry. “Those were the fastest times Matt had ever run in both cars.”

It was a good time to put the pedal to the metal, as the Oct. 2 events were also the next-to-the-last points races of the New Smyrna Quarter Midget season. Matt put the clean sweep on the competition, winning both heat races and both feature races, and putting himself in position to win titles in both classes.

Although official track records can only be set during specified “track record nights,” Matt’s lap times were well under the existing marks at New Smyrna. Matt’s fastest laps of the night in the Senior Honda (120) were around 6.26 seconds, compared to his usual lap times in the high 6.30-second range. In the GX160, Matt ran a 5.99-second lap, compared to his usual lap times in the 6.10-6.15-second range. Henry estimated that Matt’s fastest laps were two- or three-tenths of a second faster than current track records.

“The weather was a big help, since the engines run better when it’s cool,” Henry said. “We don’t get many nights like that in Florida, so it was good to see Matt make the most of it. The track conditions were good, and it was some of the best driving I’ve ever seen Matt do.

The final points race of the New Smyrna QMRA racing season is Nov. 6. Matt currently leads the Senior Honda division by 15 points over Chad Akins and the Light GX 160 division by 61 points over Matthew McGillivay.

OK, Matt still has another 10 years or so, I'll worry about him when I'm 30.

Hey PB,
How come I get some lawyer from CO when I click on your link, are you moonlighting?

Originally posted by Walrus_3
Hey PB,
How come I get some lawyer from CO when I click on your link, are you moonlighting?
I am getting the same thing.

PB I think you posted your DUI lawyer instead of Matt :) Just kidding, couldn't resist. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom