Martin Truex Jr.: It ‘makes sense’ to raise minimum speed for undamaged cars

I could get on board with this idea. If your car is 15-20 laps down I would be ok with NASCAR parking them for the day. I don't think I would use a minimum speed, I would just use a lap count, literally 15 laps seems like a generous enough standard, especially if the car is not damaged.

At the end of the day, this shouldn't even be possible. Why would an undamaged car be that far off the pace if it meets inspection? The driver or setup or both can't be that bad.

I could get on board with this idea. If your car is 15-20 laps down I would be ok with NASCAR parking them for the day. I don't think I would use a minimum speed, I would just use a lap count, literally 15 laps seems like a generous enough standard, especially if the car is not damaged.

At the end of the day, this shouldn't even be possible. Why would an undamaged car be that far off the pace if it meets inspection? The driver or setup or both can't be that bad.

I don't think it would be extremely hard to come up with a laps down formula depending on the track. Obviously it would be different for Daytona than Bristol but it could be helpful especially getting down to the end stages of a race where some cars are rolling chicanes and others are blocking the leader allowing others to catch up. I would need to think it through but I bet Nascar would love to have another stage near the end of the race where the slower cars were eliminated and there was another restart but that can be problematic too.

There have always been underfunded teams that ran laps down on the track. If you think MTJ's idea is good then just take it a step further and run 25 car fields. That way the haves don't have to put up with sharing the track with the have nots. About the dumbest idea I've ever heard floated. Since it is in that range of the stupid of stupid ideas, I expect NASCAR to implement it next year.

Truex is still bitching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appears he still is.

There have always been underfunded teams that ran laps down on the track. If you think MTJ's idea is good then just take it a step further and run 25 car fields. That way the haves don't have to put up with sharing the track with the have nots. About the dumbest idea I've ever heard floated. Since it is in that range of the stupid of stupid ideas, I expect NASCAR to implement it next year.
Truex refers to individual cars, not to the back half of the field.

He's right ... there's no reason for an undamaged car 15 laps down to be out there at the end of the race.
https://racing-forums.com/forums/nascar-chat.8/

I don't think anyone has confidence in Nascar's ability to call the race.
Nascar can no nonger get away with their "safety excuse".

Yep. Maybe Truex should spend more time thinking about ways to correct his pit crew's lack of performance in the race's last pit stop instead of trying to produce new rules to "fix" a problem that doesn't exist.

And he only voiced an opinion about when he got a caution. Guess it was just a coincidence?

Martin acts like hes the only one to suffer from such circumstances.

If he restarted like Larson we wouldnt have heard a peep from him.

He didnt lose the race because of Cope. He lost the race because of Kyle Larson.

Some are nearly that bad week after week ......... some would never be lead lap if not for lucky dogs and such. Rolling road blocks

As someone who has spotted for a short track late model race before I will say that it is hectic and it was difficult to keep the driver out of the way of the leaders. That being said, it was the first time I had ever done it and I'm not a professional spotter. At the end of the day if you are a lapper you choose a line and stay there to give the leaders a shot to work around you. It isn't that hard.

He didnt lose the race because of Cope. He lost the race because of Kyle Larson.

The race turned into a restart battle because Cope scraped the wall and NASCAR found an excuse to throw an entertainment caution. The #78 was set up for long runs, and that's a pretty good strategy at Richmond except that NASCAR's gonna NASCAR if they can find a reason. Larson performed an excellent restart, but really this late race restart thing is much more given to chance, as there have been plenty of times when Larson lost in similar situations and was ignorantly referred to as a choker by some.

There can be more than one cause. The onus should be on NASCAR's desire to manipulate race outcomes. Cope would still be completely irrelevant if not for that.

The race turned into a restart battle because Cope scraped the wall and NASCAR found an excuse to throw an entertainment caution. The #78 was set up for long runs, and that's a pretty good strategy at Richmond except that NASCAR's gonna NASCAR if they can find a reason. Larson performed an excellent restart, but really this late race restart thing is much more given to chance, as there have been plenty of times when Larson lost in similar situations and was ignorantly referred to as a choker by some.

There can be more than one cause. The onus should be on NASCAR's desire to manipulate race outcomes. Cope would still be completely irrelevant if not for that.
Late race restarts have been the name of the game for many years now. Whether its a legitimate caution or not is subjective. Whats not subjective is the drag race to the hole shot.

how many times will nascar have to change the rules from the past to try to gain new fans? nascar controlling the out come of the race has been going on since day one.

I happen to agree with Truex. The speeds are so much faster now, that cars many laps down can't get out of the way fast enough.
If there is no way a driver can improve his position and is much slower than race pace, get off the track.
I agree, if your running laps and there is not enough laps left for you to gain a position, then park it instead of being the reason for another useless caution.

I thought Nascar already had minimum speed rule. If they meet it, I really dont care what position they may be. As long as they are fast enough to avoid being a nuisance.

I actually like leaders working traffic, closing speeds etc

I agree, if your running laps and there is not enough laps left for you to gain a position, then park it instead of being the reason for another useless caution.

Oh, it wasn't useless. It fulfilled the need those with Truex Derangement Syndrome TM have to see him lose for any reason.

As someone who has spotted for a short track late model race before I will say that it is hectic and it was difficult to keep the driver out of the way of the leaders. That being said, it was the first time I had ever done it and I'm not a professional spotter. At the end of the day if you are a lapper you choose a line and stay there to give the leaders a shot to work around you. It isn't that hard.

I spotted in a race ONCE, and it was a terribly nerve wrecking experience. June 2000 ARCA race at Toledo, for a car that was getting lapped about every 12 laps. I was terrified I was going to screw up and Frank Kimmel would get wiped out from my mistake. I was quite relieved when the driver parked the car at the 3/4 mark. I was in the spotter's stand next to Red Farmer, and he gave me some good tips during cautions. The whole night ended with a driving getting spun out and killed. I swore I would NEVER spot again, and I didn't, except for practice a few times.

I spotted in a race ONCE, and it was a terribly nerve wrecking experience. June 2000 ARCA race at Toledo, for a car that was getting lapped about every 12 laps. I was terrified I was going to screw up and Frank Kimmel would get wiped out from my mistake. I was quite relieved when the driver parked the car at the 3/4 mark. I was in the spotter's stand next to Red Farmer, and he gave me some good tips during cautions. The whole night ended with a driving getting spun out and killed. I swore I would NEVER spot again, and I didn't, except for practice a few times.
Back in the early 90s I scanned some driver in over his head at an All Pro/American race. He was almost hyper venlating, like some somebody wanting to get off a roller coaster. I have never heard anything like it, a guilty pleasure because I couldn't help but laugh.
Thankfully no one was hurt in that case.

Back
Top Bottom