Martin's Springs... naughty naughty

Sounds like the QC people at Nascar missed it the first time too.;)

The spring was put in the car on Sunday morning. Springs are not inspected after post qualifying inspections until post race inspections.

Given the story about Ward and his teams spring problems and now this, it would seem that the spring manufacturers are making mistakes on what the rules require. Assuming Roush is not making his own. Earlier this season I recall reading that the spring producers were showing up every week touting some new and improved spring.

"Benny Ertel, Martin's business manager, said Leslie had taken the questionable spring off the team's transporter Sunday morning, fresh out of the box and put it on the car. After the spring was questioned in inspection, Ertel said Leslie got another new spring off the truck, took it from its package and it, too, failed to pass. "

Roush nows says Evernham soaked the spring in an undetectable liquid that shrinks the spring during the race..... ;)

Originally posted by HardScrabble
"Benny Ertel, Martin's business manager, said Leslie had taken the questionable spring off the team's transporter Sunday morning, fresh out of the box and put it on the car. After the spring was questioned in inspection, Ertel said Leslie got another new spring off the truck, took it from its package and it, too, failed to pass. "

So, how can you penalize a team for running the parts NASCAR mandates they run?

I guess I am assuming that the springs in question are made by a manufacturer that NASCAR has approved as "legal" for a Ford Taurus. Therefore, if they are failing inspection when they are new out of the box, where is Roush Racing at fault for running them? Put another way, if the Wood Brothers (to pull one out of the hat) used shock absorbers straight from the box that NASCAR said was the approved shock and that shock failed STRAIGHT out of the box, why penalize the Wood Brothers?

So that is why I don't understand why Roush and Mark are being penalized.

Okay if I understand you correctly.

There are several spring manufacturers. Any of them can produce a spring to NASCAR specifications and it is legal for use. There is not a NASCAR specified manufacturer of springs.

Most parts used in NASCAR are legal only by specification of the part, not the manufacturer of the part. There are some exceptions in safety equipment. tires, fuel and such.

Back
Top Bottom