MARTINSVILLE PLANS EXPANSION

Martinsville Speedway President Clay Campbell today announced plans to
add 2,000 seats and build a new six-lane entrance to the facility. Plans
also call for moving the railroad tracks that parallel the speedway's
backstretch to allow for future expansion. Work on the new entrance and
seats will begin immediately after the April 13 running of the Virginia
500 Winston Cup race, and those projects should be completed before the
Oct. 19 Old Dominion 500. The new seats, which will bring the track's
capacity to 88,000, will be built above the suites in turns one and two.
Work is already under way on a new 2,000-square-foot infield care center
and the conversion of the old care center into a public relations
workroom.

They're working to make that place better and bigger. I do like the six lane entrance. That place takes for ever to get out of.

I'm not to sure about moving the Choo-Choo track back though, kinda fun watchin a hugh locomotive pop out behind a billboard on the back stretch, then watchin Casey Jones the Engineer wave at the fans on the frontstretch grandstand. The Choo-Choo guys must also get a kick blowing their whistles to wake up the Campers on the backstretch at 3 am:) :)

I'm waiting for them to put lights in at Martinsville, (and bring back the Mods!!!)

Mike, from what I hear, it's the drivers and owners of the Featherlite Mods that don't want to come to Martinsville. Too much travel. A friend of mine who is the owner of one of the SMART mods said they are trying to get Martinsville to let them race there. Don't know if that would fly, but I'd love it.

I know Buckaroo about the comments about the teams saying it was too far (along with the comment about Richmond being too far with FMS), but when they really did pull the plug they said it was the tracks fault. The comments have been that Martinsville really wanted the 2nd trucks race (or pressured by Nascar to take it). I do not mind trucks, but the Mods have always but on a race at Martinsville. Who is at fault makes no difference, its a loss.

I would luv to see SMART fill the void, the track is very well suited for the big Blocks and Nerf Bars. And if we get Jr. Miller, Puddin, the Myers, and Fleming instead of Stefanik, TC, and Flemke, so be it. It would do SMART a big service, as well as the Mods genre in the So. East.

For those who have never seen Bump Drafting, come and see it, they do it a Martysville on the straights just as well as New Hampshire:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's good to see a small track trying to keep up with all the big corporations:)

The Smart Mods would be alot cheaper for the Track to run. I thought I heard the purse for Featherlite Mods was about 200.000
Joe

Use to love the trains at M'ville. Back in the 70s & 80s they use to run big coal trains thru there. Five or six engines followed by a bunch of coal cars then four or five engines in the middle followed by a bunch more coal cars. The reason they blow the whissle is for the crossing at the campground.
In 74 we took our sportsman car to the March sportsman/ Mod race. We camped on the hill behind the track about 50 feet from the RR track. We were in a camper but one of the guys set up a tent beside the camper. The train came thru in the early morning. We could hear the guy's girlfriend cussing because the train was shakinmg them out of the tent down the hill. After that I made sure I had a motel room.

Back
Top Bottom