Martinsville 😍😍😍 Pre-Race Thread

So before we hit the meat of race week I have two questions for Martinsville vets out there:
1. I’m thinking of going to the fall Martinsville Race this year. I’m traveling (flying. The drive would be 11 hours) from Chicago and it looks like the only flight that’s a straight shot is to Raleigh/Durham. I would then have to drive another 53 min to stay in Greensboro NC which is 55 minutes from Martinsville. So I asking is that a smart strategy or is there a better one?
2.) The hot dogs. I have a sensitive stomach, I’m afraid to try them when I go there. Are they worth it? Chicago hot dogs don’t upset me but I don’t know how these will react but I have to try them once in my life.
This track, Bristol and Darlington are my absolute favorite on the schedule. I’m proud to say I knocked Bristol off he bucket list in 2019 (worth it in every way)

So before we hit the meat of race week I have two questions for Martinsville vets out there:
1. I’m thinking of going to the fall Martinsville Race this year. I’m traveling (flying. The drive would be 11 hours) from Chicago and it looks like the only flight that’s a straight shot is to Raleigh/Durham. I would then have to drive another 53 min to stay in Greensboro NC which is 55 minutes from Martinsville. So I asking is that a smart strategy or is there a better one?
2.) The hot dogs. I have a sensitive stomach, I’m afraid to try them when I go there. Are they worth it? Chicago hot dogs don’t upset me but I don’t know how these will react but I have to try them once in my life.
This track, Bristol and Darlington are my absolute favorite on the schedule. I’m proud to say I knocked Bristol off he bucket list in 2019 (worth it in every way)
We used to stay in Greensboro on Saturday night for the Martinsville race. I think that's a good plan.

I know there's a fairly large airport in Danville If it helps you out, and there's lodging and lots closer than Durham.

I have stayed in both Eden and Danville. Danville would be my first choice. Its about 1/2 hour from the track. Lots of restaurants to choose from.

I love the hot dogs. But I wouldn't recommend them to someone with a sensitive stomach. If you are going Saturday and Sunday, try a bite or two Saturday, then you will know if you want to go full gusto on Sunday. Not sure what they go for these days...maybe a couple bucks, so your not risking much.

I'll be staying just west of Eden this weekend, looks like there will be some rain....

You can't fly into Piedmont Triad International?

You'd be fine staying in Greensboro or maybe even Eden or Danville. I'm probably going to stay in Roanoke when I go this year because the hotels in Martinsville are awful and there are a few places I'd like to go to in Roanoke that I haven't been to in years.

The best part about the Martinsville Hot Dog is that it means you're at Martinsville Speedway. If you have a sensitive stomach, I wouldn't recommend them. You can get a hot dog without chili and slaw on it though.

Man Martinsville is the bomb. The 2018 Fall race is arguably one of the best in NASCAR history

Used to be, the menu treat at Martinsville was their Fried Bologna Sandwich.
Is that still available?

Also, if you choose to stay in Greensboro there is a local dirt track called 311 Speedway about a half hour away that usually races on Saturday nights. They used to have a big late model race during the Martinsville weekend, which would often draw some NASCAR drivers (sometimes they'd even bring their own cars). But I don't know if they are still racing - since the current promoter made some serious social media blunders last year he shut down its website, and if he advertises at all he hides it among other of his business's sites.

I have changed a ton in terms of tracks I love through the years, and this one is THE ONE. I love this race. Can't wait for Saturday night under the lights!

I’m always thrilled for Martinsville, but recently the spring race has been anticlimactic (the hotdogs are a bigger story than the actual race) and the fall race is where the headlines are made.

Hoping for a good one. The sport needs it.

I've stayed in Greenville several times. It's an easy drive to to the track.

I bad-mouth the hot dogs. They aren't as bad as I say, but they really aren't anything special. They're on par with gas stations' tube steaks.

I’m always thrilled for Martinsville, but recently the spring race has been anticlimactic (the hotdogs are a bigger story than the actual race) and the fall race is where the headlines are made.

Thought Martin's win in the midst of a self-admitted epic TRD failure was fascinating last spring. Hoping for something special from Denny Saturday.

The Spring race last year was a lot of fun with M'ville using the lights.

Also, that was on a Wednesday night as well. That race was solid, just MTJ after cutting out that right side damage on the nose ran away with it.

There were battles all night.

The Spring race last year was a lot of fun with M'ville using the lights.

Also, that was on a Wednesday night as well. That race was solid, just MTJ after cutting out that right side damage on the nose ran away with it.

There were battles all night.
Might want to try that approved adjustment again.

Justin Haley gets another shot in a cup car

1617656542451.png

of all the tracks on the schedule, I think I miss most watching Jeff race at Martinsville. He had it down there
2005. Came back to win after falling to nearly 4 laps down at 40th place. Made two of the 3 laps back the old fashioned way and 1 with the free pass. First race at Martinsville since the plane crash. You can’t write it better than that. It’s often overlooked but it should be one of the greatest sports stories of all time. Totally unstoppable. Unadulterated badass.

2005. Came back to win after falling to nearly 4 laps down at 40th place. Made two of the 3 laps back the old fashioned way and 1 with the free pass. First race at Martinsville since the plane crash. You can’t write it better than that. It’s often overlooked but it should be one of the greatest sports stories of all time. Totally unstoppable. Unadulterated badass.
now when I get home I am so gonna que up that race or one of his other wins on YouTube. I liked when he held off The Intimidator in 1999, that was my personal favorite there.

Me: "Hey, I am leaving for our trip on Monday."
Finds out that Martinsville race is schedule for Saturday night.
Me: "Oh, heck lets leave on Sunday and get an early start."
Commitment made.
Me, after reading this thread today.

tenor.gif

Me: "Hey, I am leaving for our trip on Monday."
Finds out that Martinsville race is schedule for Saturday night.
Me: "Oh, heck lets leave on Sunday and get an early start."
Commitment made.
Me, after reading this thread today.

tenor.gif
This is why I already have vacation days scheduled for the Mondays after spring Darlington and the Charlotte Roval.

Modified race Thursday night on MRN. @8:00 pm. Couldn't find TV Broadcast...

When I went there a few years back, I got lucky and managed to book a room at the Hampton Inn in Martinsville. 15 minute drive to the track and the hotel was fine, and the rates weren't inflated like you would expect. I would just try and book the closest hotel you can find to the track, as long as it's halfway decent.

I pretty much like all hotdogs, but the Martinsville chili dogs were the best I've ever had in my life, I swear. I think I had three of them, and my only regret was not getting more.

When I went there a few years back, I got lucky and managed to book a room at the Hampton Inn in Martinsville. 15 minute drive to the track and the hotel was fine, and the rates weren't inflated like you would expect. I would just try and book the closest hotel you can find to the track, as long as it's halfway decent.

I pretty much like all hotdogs, but the Martinsville chili dogs were the best I've ever had in my life, I swear. I think I had three of them, and my only regret was not getting more.
Yeah I generally don't care for hotdogs but I've crushed my share of Martinsville chili dogs. 1000% delicious.

I'm not usually a toppings on hotdogs guy, but when I get to Martinsville someday I definitely plan to at least try one, I mean its tradition

Back
Top Bottom