Maryland International Raceway's revolutionary concession stands

D

Digger

A monumental icon of drag racing history now crowns the all-new Hot Rodz Diner at Maryland Int’l Raceway. Graciously donated by Bunny Burkett, the championship winning 1985 Chrysler Laser Top Alcohol Funny Car adds soul, spirit & celebration to the new landmark.

In the 60’s, Bunny worked in a Baltimore Playboy Club to earn money to purchase a 1967 Ford Mustang. Shortly after, “Lead Foot Bunny” was painted on the car and a nickname was born. In 1973, Bunny started on her way to become a professional driver as she got behind the wheel of a nine-second Pinto Pro Stocker. She later traded it for her first Funny Car, and a star was born. Being the first woman to ever win an IHRA World Championship, her fame and fan-appeal follows her from coast to coast with one exciting chapter after another. However, it was her passion for racing that opened up a daunting new chapter in her life… the fight for her life following a horrific accident in 1995.

In an instant, her life was changed beyond the mind’s eye - held captive in a coma for three weeks. Her eminent struggle to survive was then challenged with countless surgeries and a grim prognosis. With the help of God, her family and the overwhelming support and encouragement from her fans, she was able to return to the drivers seat in 1997.

In her love and dedication to all fans of drag racing, she jumped on the opportunity to give tribute back when she heard about development of the new Hot Rodz Diner. “I love MIR… it’s my home track, my favorite track” says Bunny. Thanks to her kindness and good-will, this historic landmark now embodies a sparkle and vitality that will forever be enjoyed and admired by fans at Budds Creek!

http://www.mirdrag.com/v2/news/2008/080520-01.htm

Back
Top Bottom