Mayfield out of a ride?

C

coonhound

This is from Jayski

#19 Shakeup: Sources inside Evernham Motorsports say a major shakeup is expected on the #19. Feelers were put out in the garage for a crew chief and a driver -- yes, a driver, even though Jeremy Mayfield has been in the car just one season and has a year left on his contract. Busch Series driver Shane Hmiel, 22, has been mentioned for the Evernham ride and as a candidate to replace Spencer at Ganassi Racing.(Sporting News)(11-18-2002)

What is Ray evernham doing?

well, maybe he felt mayfield would have better gelled than he did, maybe there is no magical communication with him. i believe ray is big on the magic between his teams and his drivers.;)

I am not too sure if Shane will be a good choice? It won't hurt to try but I think he will run just as good as Jermey. Casey should get that ride back. Casey got a raw deal at the 7 when he was starting to gel in the 19. ray has to pay Casey anyways for next year. I think Casey will run pretty well in the 19 car , it might take a few weeks to contiune like he was in 2001.

I wonder how long this trend of putting young Busch drivers w/ mediocre records in Cup rides will last.

Originally posted by HappyHour
I wonder how long this trend of putting young Busch drivers w/ mediocre records in Cup rides will last.

Until they stop winning races and competing for the championship.

Heard an interesting slant on bringing yong unproven drivers to WC racing by established teams.

Some seem to feel that it is easier now with the success of drivers such as Johnson, Newman, Busch and others to convince a sponsor to go this route. An owner can point ot one of these success stories and make a better case to the sponsor than he can by touting a more experienced driver who has more seasons under his belt, but has only enjoyed mediocre results.

More immediate and visible success seems to be a desired now than in past years.

Originally posted by HardScrabble
More immediate and visible success seems to be a desired now than in past years.

It's always been desired, HS, the teams just have a new way of attaining it. In the past, they'd put a proven veteran in the car, who could make a good day out of a so-so car, and be competitive with lower funding. Nowadays, the teams put a marketable, handsome young kid in the car. A young guy is more likely to attract a major corporate sponsor than a mid-40's graybeard, and the teams then use the extra money to buy the best equipment available, and be successful that way.

My two cents worth.

More money overall available in the sport now, which leads to more well-funded teams, which leads to more teams with a shot at winning. Gone are the days when the serious contenders for a championship could be counted on one hand before the Daytona 500. Now you better take your shoes off if you're gonna count them all.

Seems like only yesterday that I saw Shane driving a late model at Caraway Speedway. Come to think of it, it was only yesterday, wasn't it? :eek: Anyway, Shane seems to be on his way up and Mayfield seems to be on his way to more commercials.

The Rugrats racing squad is here to stay.Send Mikey Waltrip,and Jeff Burton back to Busch,and make room for two more. :D

Originally posted by stridsberry
It's always been desired, HS, the teams just have a new way of attaining it.  In the past, they'd put a proven veteran in the car, who could make a good day out of a so-so car, and be competitive with lower funding.  Nowadays, the teams put a marketable, handsome young kid in the car.  A young guy is more likely to attract a major corporate sponsor than a mid-40's graybeard, and the teams then use the extra money to buy the best equipment available, and be successful that way.

It is not the desire, it is the patience that seems to have changed. It feels like, without digging up the stats, that we are seeing less patience for a team to produce. Casey Atwood, Jimmy Spencer, Jason Leffler, and now perhaps Jeremy all with only one season then bye-bye. Add Buckshot and perhaps some others who were given even less than a full season.

I don't think it is about age only, I can't think of any greybeard who has enjoyed past success by winning more than a small handful of races who is looking for a ride. It is the Spencer's and Hamilton's of the sport who are in search of a team.

Originally posted by coonhound
This is from Jayski

#19 Shakeup: Sources inside Evernham Motorsports say a major shakeup is expected on the #19. Feelers were put out in the garage for a crew chief and a driver -- yes, a driver, even though Jeremy Mayfield has been in the car just one season and has a year left on his contract. Busch Series driver Shane Hmiel, 22, has been mentioned for the Evernham ride and as a candidate to replace Spencer at Ganassi Racing.(Sporting News)(11-18-2002)

What is Ray evernham doing?

Shane Hmiel??? Are we talking the same Shane Hmiel who crashes every busch race?? Very nice pick for Evernham. Hmiel will continue the legacy of that 19 team. (Poor finishes and crashes)

Well if Jeremy loses his ride he still has his riding lawn mower.

pbunch, it does seem as if the rugrats have taken over, doesn't it? LOL

Maybe the younglings are getting a chance because they don't have to unlearn anything --- they haven't been around long enough to get settled. Popping into a car, having the CC tell them that's what they are supposed to feel, they don't know any better and drive the wheels off.

B.C.24--- if you ever find out why Ray stiffed Casey, let us know. I've never forgiven Ray for that little move. :mad:

BTW, I don't know that Jeremy will ever be really good. DE put the hex on Jeremy after that Pocono win --- and he's not around to take it off. ;)

My only question is , why Shane Hmiel? I don't think he his ready to move up to the next level. He seems to have problems finishing races in Busch. I think he needs more seat time before moving on. IMO

I don't think Ray will put Casey back in 19. He should but he wont. He would have to admit he was wrong and he will not do that.

Originally posted by nascarwoman
My only question is , why Shane Hmiel? I don't think he his ready to move up to the next level. He seems to have problems finishing races in Busch. I think he needs more seat time before moving on. IMO

Not that I'm a S Hmiel fan, but I've got to tell you that just over 10 years ago, I was mad as hell that Bill Davis let a certain kid go off to Winston Cup, from Ford to Chevy. At the time, I didn't think the kid had enough seat time for the big leagues. Now? well that kid has the most wins and titles among active drivers with a lot more years ahead of him. Shane has shown a lot of improvment this year from the beginning. Possibly with the right coaching, he can do a decent job.

Well if Shane is good enough for Cup, then I think someone should move Kerry up too! About equal in driving abilities.:)

Shane is careless, thoughtless and arrogant. Unlike his father he expects more from racing than he is willing to give. When I first saw him compete in Dash he was agressive and not too smart. I thought he would learn along the way and be a really talented driver. I have since decided that he is barely deserving of a Dash ride let alone Busch. I surely hope that Chip has more smarts than to look that direction and I am pretty sure that Ray is brighter than that!

Kel

I wouldn't blame Ray if he took Jeremy out of the 19, he should put Casey back in that car.

Ray needs to put casey back in that car and swallow his pride.
but I just don't see that happening. Casey might tell Ray he's #1 if you get my drift.

Put Atwood in the car before Hmiel. OK anyway Stuart Kirby, anyone but Hmiel, I can't stand him.

I'm a JEREMY MAYFIELD fan! I called EMS and was told this is just a rumor. I also contacted a very reliable source who told me the same thing....THIS IS JUST A RUMOR! THIS IS JUST A RUMOR!!!!

Originally posted by JSF
I'm a JEREMY MAYFIELD fan! I called EMS and was told this is just a rumor. I also contacted a very reliable source who told me the same thing....THIS IS JUST A RUMOR! THIS IS JUST A RUMOR!!!!

It's funny how some things that are reported as being fact, then are said to be just rumors, end up being facts. This probably got started because someone thought Mayfield should have done better than he did and that he could be looking for a new ride soon. Just a hunch, but if he doesn't begin the season better than he finished this one, he just might be looking for a new ride.

well, everybody deserves a shot at a good ride, we all never know what the previous teams and equipment might have done for them. now we know that the penske team made jeremy look better than the evranham team can. so if he cant use his talent to make up for the lacking areas of the team, then the chemistry is not right and he should move on;)

Back
Top Bottom