Mayfield Safe, Atwood Back

N

Nascar24rainbow

Evernham Motorsports News

It looks like Jeremy Mayfield is safe in the 19 Dodge. Evernham says that the team is working hard to get back to the front and they are closer to doing it than you think.

Bill Elliott will be racing in this weekends race with three broken bones in his left foot. Ted Musgrave will stand by in case relief is needed. Bill Elliott will also be driving the 9 Dodge through 2005 and that the car is his as long as he wants to frive it.

There is also a chance Casey Atwood could be back in one of the red cars in the future.

If I were Atwood and got another offer from somewhere else, I would take it...Evernham had his chance.

Originally posted by Nascar24rainbow@May 20 2003, 10:39 PM
Evernham Motorsports News

It looks like Jeremy Mayfield is safe in the 19 Dodge. Evernham says that the team is working hard to get back to the front and they are closer to doing it than you think.

Bill Elliott will be racing in this weekends race with three broken bones in his left foot. Ted Musgrave will stand by in case relief is needed. Bill Elliott will also be driving the 9 Dodge through 2005 and that the car is his as long as he wants to frive it.

There is also a chance Casey Atwood could be back in one of the red cars in the future.
Elliot stays in the 9 and Mayfield in the 19. Does that mean that Ray will start a third team. I hope so.

Originally posted by ward22@May 20 2003, 10:49 PM
If I were Atwood and got another offer from somewhere else, I would take it...Evernham had his chance.
Evernham had his chance at what?? Listening to a frustrated driver who came up too fast and walked away during a race weekend. It has been widely reported Casey Atwood walked away from the #7 car after an argument with the crew chief.

Any employer seeking results will not tolerate that behavior in a team member or driver. Racing is a team sport, period !!! A driver does not work well without a good team behind him and a team does not function at full potential when facing confrontations with an immature or frustrated driver. At the time, Casey fit both molds.

Fans try to defend Casey without understanding the entire situation and quickly turn to criticism of his dismissal by making Ray Evernham the bad guy. Ray was protecting his investment and trying to put together a team that worked as a team of one. Casey fell short, not necessarily as a driver but as a team player.
What Ray Evernham did was a blessing in disguise for Casey. It will serve Casey well as a lesson in humility and maturity and he will become a better driver as a result, either for Ray or someone else.

Ray understands the potential and is willing to give him a second chance, something I'm not so sure many others would do. Casey has had several months to figure it out what took place and why. Hopefuly Casey has come to the realization there is a lot at stake and people were not rushing the gates to hire him after Ray gave him notice. :mellow:

Back
Top Bottom