ME OR XP

C

cutiepie24

ok.............tell me what you have and why you like it..
ME or XP.............we have some deciding to do here............

thank you!!
:D

ME..........not a bad OS (just tempermental is all) but I don't like the activation crap with XP! Might go for XP pro just because of that activation stuff......besides we have two computers and I could put it on both under one license. But, Geeze, some of my hardware is about 4 years old and might not work with XP!!:(

I don't really like either one of them too much, but XP is definitely better. My folks have Me, and I think it's garbage. It's like 98, but with a few annoying frills. Between the two, I'd prefer 98SE.

However, XP, like Win2K, is based on the NTFS filing system, which means it'll be more stable, fragment less frequently, etc. I prefer 2K, though. I hate the default "web" look of the XP interface, for one. I'll prefer it if and when Microsoft releases a Second Edition. 2K already has most of the kinks ironed out. It's my choice. :)

I have ME, don't ask me no tech questions.:) I'm doing good to just turn this thing on.;)

ok for windows theres more then that selection theres
XP
ME
98 1st and second edition
nt

theres also
mac

theres also diffrent operating systems then windows most companys use
linux/unix/bsd
and alot others

I use windows me currently but xp is the best for windows but I work in networking if you know alot about computers linux is probaly the best operating system

I would use xp out of all of them though because of programs arent suported on linux that are on windows :)

Originally posted by DE Wrangler 2
ME..........not a bad OS (just tempermental is all) but I  don't like the activation crap with XP!  Might go for XP pro just because of that activation stuff......besides we have two computers and I could put it on both under one license.  But, Geeze, some of my hardware is about 4 years old and might not work with XP!!:(

There are ways of getting around the activation crap. ;) As long as you don't mind not registering the product. I don't bother with it, but then, I service the machine myself.

My choice, prolly the oddman out but, OS 9.1. No Zero about windows except it's an imitation of MAC.

ME, and I love the tech support.

To me XP is just too complicated for the average home.

I do recommend subscribing to worldstart.com for some great free advice.

mac apple pc 95% of the people in the world use pc but I have herd good things about mac

yeah we have ME...and it is good..................you have any problems with crashing?

with XP...thinking about all the hardware problems...is it compatible with this and that you know???

:)

Originally posted by abooja

There are ways of getting around the activation crap. ;) As long as you don't mind not registering the product. I don't bother with it, but then, I service the machine myself.

I built and service both computers in this house.....I register because of tech support (what little Microsoft offers!!) and also because if I want to return the product, I have a fighting chance of doing so. If I ever go to XP (which will be after the 2nd edition at least) it will be to the Pro.......no activation code and since I have two computers the cost would be the same. I had Win98SE and had no problems with it. Did a clean install of ME because I really had some reservations about doing the upgrade from 98SE since that was an upgrade from 98 which was an upgrade from 95!! That's a lot of upgrades on upgrades.....the clean install made more sense. I don't dislike ME........has it's problems but so does all Windows OS's. Don't want Win2k for it's lack of graphic intensive games abilities. Win2k is a business OS....I don't do business on these two computers I have at home.:)

i bought a new comp last year and it came with XP, i really like it, it takes a little getting used too (coming from '98) but its great, in particular my favorite thing is that whenever i remove my steering wheel (for sim racing) and put in a digital camera etc., the xp recogixes it and i dont have to install it, its already done for me..:)

Originally posted by DE Wrangler 2

I built and service both computers in this house.....I register because of tech support (what little Microsoft offers!!) and also because if I want to return the product, I have a fighting chance of doing so.  If I ever go to XP (which will be after the 2nd edition at least) it will be to the Pro.......no activation code and since I have two computers the cost would be the same.  I had Win98SE and had no problems with it.  Did a clean install of ME because I really had some reservations about doing the upgrade from 98SE since that was an upgrade from 98 which was an upgrade from 95!!  That's a lot of upgrades on upgrades.....the clean install made more sense.  I don't dislike ME........has it's problems but so does all Windows OS's.  Don't want Win2k for it's lack of graphic intensive games abilities.  Win2k is a business OS....I don't do business on these two computers I have at home.:)

Hey, DE! I built this computer I'm on, too. (The other one is a Dell, and it's got only 98SE in it.) It was my own version of a final project for an A+ class I was taking. I'm trying to learn networking -- mostly on my own -- and building your own network is a big help!

Anyhow, if you're mostly interested in gaming, you're right to get Windows XP. But I believe Windows 2000 would do about the same job, short of automatically recognizing and installing all drivers for newly installed hardware components. For instance, XP recognized this (relatively) new Samsung DVD player I installed, whereas 2K required a Windows update to find the driver, and '98 didn't recognize it at all without a lot of extra help.

As for the activation code problem, I'm using a version of XP that doesn't trigger the activation code. (I got it from my networking instructor.) I don't bother registering anything anymore, except the original copy of Windows 98SE that came with the Dell. PM me if you want to know more... ;) There are sites on the Internet that detail how to deactivate it yourself, but I've never tried that, to be honest. There are also places to get product key codes, but I won't get into the details of anything illegal here... ;)

"For the record, I don't support any illegal activities."

BTW, Smack: Cutiepie asked for an OS for what's apparently a PC machine. Mac anything just ain't gonna work... :)

ME, IMO, is pure garbage. XP is the best OS for the PC yet.

Abooja, offering to burn copies of Windows is illegal...edit? please?

How's that, Paul?

BTW, ME is most definitely garbage, but XP will only be better than 2K when all the kinks are worked out. :)

XP, it took alittle to get use to coming from 98 but is really good once you get use to it, plus I get the updates sent to me to update all the clitchs and security problems, so I haven't had a problem yet.

Back
Top Bottom