Mears in Hendrick's Busch #5?

B

B.C. - 24

Posted on Fri, Oct. 25, 2002

Mears a candidate for Hendrick's No. 5 BGN ride
By JIM UTTER
ThatsRacin.com Writer

NASCAR Grand National series driver Casey Mears is a candidate to drive Hendrick Motorsports' No. 5 Chevrolet in the Grand National series next season, ThatsRacin.com has learned.
Mears, 24, is under contract with Team Jesel and the No. 66 Dodge through next season, but the team has been unable to secure sponsorship. The team had hoped to have its sponsorship situation settled by mid-October.

"I have a commitment with Team Jesel through next season and unless that changes, there is nothing to discuss," Mears said.

Ricky Hendrick drove the No. 5 until he stepped out of the car this month and retired from full-time competition citing lingering affects from an accident he had in March.

Former series champion David Green is finishing the season in the car and has scored two top-10 finishes in his first two starts with the team.

Mears is a former open-wheel driver, having competed in the Championship Auto Racing Teams and Dayton Indy Lights series.

I think that it would give Casey a good opportunity to show what he's got. Ricky had some good runs in that car when he was healthy. I'm thinking that if Ricky gets behind Casey through it all you might have one heck of a partnership starting to build.

Casey has some talent he just hasn't had any luck. I hope he can do well if this ride goes through.

That's a real shame for Ricky Hendrick. I know that there were some teams looking at putting him in a Cup car in the next couple years, now his career might be over.

I don't know what Mears will be doing, but his sponsor is leaving next year. But if the team still wants him there, that's where he'll probably stay. It will be a good ride for whoever does end up getting it. I say hire David Green, why not?

Why not? I think Stuart Kirby would actually be a very good choice for that team. Young, upcoming driver, just like Ricky Hendrick was.

Stuart does need some seasoning in Busch before he moves up. It's a much better team than the #34. I hope Henderick at least considers him.

Yeah, that #34 team is doing soooooooo much better since he's left. He was wise leaving that team before it hurt his career any more than it already did.

Back
Top Bottom