Media coverage on 9/11

J

juniorJohnson1

Most americans are glad to see all this coverage on 9/11 while alot of citizens from other countries are tired of seeing it every time they turn on there tv. Why is this? they say when something happens in other countries its not publicised this much. Not to mension stuff like this happens more often in other countries with larger numbers.Also other countries helped out america alot during this time and it didn't seem like anyone cared there was no mention of a thank you. What your opinion on this???

Originally posted by juniorJohnson1
Not to mension stuff like this happens more often in other countries with larger numbers.

What? When? Examples please.

And I think that some Americans like it and some don't because different people mourn in different ways.

http://mypage.direct.ca/j/jmoore/fallnews.pdf

Terrorism's death toll, 1995-2000

Asia suffered the most deaths as a result of terrorist
attacks; a total of 9,713 perished. Africa
follows with 5,762 deaths for the 6-year period.
The Middle East comes next with 2,190, and
Western Europe with 1,212. North America had
the least number of casualties, with seven
deaths.

http://www.genocidewatch.org/genocidetable.htm
thousands and thousands of deaths

http://www.idee.org/lreport15.html
At a recent session of the Russian State Duma, Vladimir Kalamanov testified that the official number of people missing in Chechnya is 950. In reality, there are well over 5000 people who have disappeared without a trace.

theres plenty more the fact is when did you see any of these things on the international news

You said that the type of attack on the WTC happens every day with larger numbers...

Still waiting for your examples.

Thousands died within moments in one ferocious attack. But I think that comparing death tolls is petty, what is to be gained from saying more people died in country A than did in America on 9-11? Do you have an agenda?

So, by your stats there (if comparing numbers of dead is all you're looking for) in a matter of minutes approximately one-third of Asia's total was reached.

NO my point is when people die in america its on the news more then if people die in another country. Also alot of countries helped america out and none of americas government officials thanked them on the news.The 9/11 incident was shown for weeks on the media not just on american channels but on international channels also. Be honest if the same thing that happened on 9/11 happened to a country in africa or asia it would have been on for one day on the american media. Also most likely they wouldnt have covered an aniversy, but yet when this happens to america its supose to be covered world wide.

So your mad because Bush didn't say "Thank you"? Please.

And I doubt that if there was an attack that killed thousands instantly in another country it wouldn't make news, you're making assumptions.

Perhaps it made international news because, as your above stats read, America only had 7 deaths due to terrorism while the other countries had thousands.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you're from the UK somewhere. Got a handle on the IRA yet? Didn't think so.

there was a bombing 3 to 4 years ago that killed 1,600 canadians that wasn't covered longer then one day on your media. Now that bush threatins to attack iraq, we are his biggest supporter. there were several planes that got sent to canada after the incident on 9/11, canada supplied the american citizens on those planes with food and shelter until they could return. Several countries arrested people that had dealings with the 9/11 incidents.

Well, by using your logic only 1,600 people died and that's nothing compared to what happened here.

On BBCA they had several shows during the day yesterday where they were accepting calls and emails on people comments about 9/11. Several people from asian countries called in and sayed they were tired of seeing things dealing with 9/11 on there tv, they also said that when incidents killing masses happen around the world it doesn't have the coverage 9/11 did. They had an american analist on the show that said yes there are incidents that kill more around the world but the 9/11 got this big converage because it was a surprise america hasn't been through anything like this in a long time. Still to me it sounds like americans are worth more then people of other countries ( to the media anyway)

I think I would have remembered hearing about 1,600 Canadians killed all at once by a bomb.

Please prove it.

On BBCA they had several shows during the day yesterday where they were accepting calls and emails on people comments about 9/11. Several people from asian countries called in and sayed they were tired of seeing things dealing with 9/11 on there tv, they also said that when incidents killing masses happen around the world it doesn't have the coverage 9/11 did.  They had an american analist on the show that said yes there are incidents that kill more around the world but the 9/11 got this big converage because it was a surprise america hasn't been through anything like this in a long time.  Still to me it sounds like americans are worth more then people of other countries ( to the media anyway)

I think you need to get that huge chip off your shoulder.

Do you have any interest in racing? You've posted five times now, and nary a word about racing was mentioned. Why do this here?

On BBCA they had several shows during the day yesterday where they were accepting calls and emails on people comments about 9/11. Several people from asian countries called in and sayed they were tired of seeing things dealing with 9/11 on there tv, they also said that when incidents killing masses happen around the world it doesn't have the coverage 9/11 did.  They had an american analist on the show that said yes there are incidents that kill more around the world but the 9/11 got this big converage because it was a surprise america hasn't been through anything like this in a long time.  Still to me it sounds like americans are worth more then people of other countries ( to the media anyway)

Nothing like people calling to yell at the people on their TV about what's on their TV.

Just like the idiots suing McDonalds because they're fat.

Paul, even though alot of media in america covered the incident as 5000+ deaths if you look it up at the victoms list there was no more then 3,200. Anyway I am not trying to argue about who has the most deaths and who has it the worse, all I am saying is the world media is greatly biased. Also it seems most of the american people only want to hear news if it has to do with them ( or atleast thats what it seems your media seems to think).

Originally posted by abooja
I think you need to get that huge chip off your shoulder.

Do you have any interest in racing? You've posted five times now, and nary a word about racing was mentioned. Why do this here?

Well, this is the off-topic board.

Had the 3000 people who died on 9-11-2001 been spread out over the 1995 to 2000 time frame you spoke of, it would certainly have not received the attention that it did. There's population levels and poverty levels that also play into that statistic......security in a heavily populated area plus poor governments makes it much more difficult to prevent acts of terror (crime too, for that matter). Though genocide is certainly terror I don't think it fits the accepted definition of terrorism. And Chechnya was not terrorism.....it was a war. All these are interesting facts but the comparison is a little weak.......plus, who cares if it was the most killed in an act of terror or the least? It happened and because of the way it happened (a direct, delibrate and planned attack against The United States of America) it should be dealt with as it was intended........an act of war. And the way you deal with an act of war is to counter. The numbers are irrelevant. And about the countries that helped us during the period immediately following the WTC attack.......there were countries........many countries that helped us. I remember seeing (geeze, how many?) live and taped telecasts of countries throughout the world in Churches, Synagogues, Mosks, Government capitols, public places and even Candlelight Vigils........and this country thanked profusely the world for their support. And if you are referring to monetary help, I believe a few countries did offer......most was refused since we really didn't need the money. I can guarentee this country thanked them.

And why is it any surprise that 9-11 got (and continues to get) so much more media coverage here in the United States than something in a foriegn country? Before 9-11 there was plenty of news coverage of terrorists attacks......nearly every day. I'm sure most were not covered but there are restraints on time to report everything. And as for us possibly being uncaring about such occurrances in foriegn lands, I believe we have helped or attempted to help in every instance. The Israeli/Palistinian daily fiasco comes to mind immediately. There are others.....Somalia, Kenya, Mogadishu, the Phillipines, India, Pakistan........not even getting to Iraq. I'm wondering what your point is.

Yes I have a big collection of auto racing videos, I watch your nascar, f1, world rally and several other events.

Originally posted by paul
Well, this is the off-topic board.

I understand that, but these are his only posts! See my point?

You were right. He's got some agenda, and he's trying to peddle it on what he must perceive as stupid, beer-addled American race fans.

Sorry, buddy. Not buying any of your garbage today. :)

Paul, even though alot of media in america covered the incident as 5000+ deaths if you look it up at the victoms list there was no more then 3,200. Anyway I am not trying to argue about who has the most deaths and who has it the worse, all I am saying is the world media is greatly biased. Also it seems most of the american people only want to hear news if it has to do with them ( or atleast thats what it seems your media seems to think).

It's only natural to be most effected by our own countrymen dying.

Just as you seem to be detached from it because you're not from here.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for evidence of the 1,600 Canadians killed (at once!) by a bomb. :rolleyes:

If I had a dime for every single news item on TV pre-9-11 about some terror attack on Israeli soil I would be rich, it was a daily event and covered extremely well by our news.

To imply that we don't care is foolish.

Originally posted by abooja
Oh, and I'm still waiting for evidence of the 1,600 Canadians killed (at once!) by a bomb. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll get none.

I disagree also,
Just for one example recently a Russian helicopter crashed in Chechnya with over 100 dead. It has been on the news here in Baltimore for a week.
Also, when the Kursk sank, remember the Russian sub. The enws media had stories on that for over a month. There less than 200 died.
I believe this is getting so much coverage because around three thousand people from all around the world died in less than an hour after the first plane crashed into the tower.
All I can say is if you are tired of listening to it, turn off the tv or change channels.

Oh, I am very sad for the families that suffered during 9/11 don't think that I am not. I just thought it was pretty sad the american media useing the incident to acheive higher ratings.

As do I.

What's more sad are foreign opportunistic Iraqi apologists using the incident to bash Americans.

Thats another thing mike, people from several countries died during 9/11 but there was very little mention of it. It was 3,000 americans died.

Oh, I am very sad for the families that suffered during 9/11 don't think that I am not. I just thought it was pretty sad the american media useing the incident to acheive higher ratings.

Think that was it? I remember about a week of continuous coverage.........on ALL channels WITHOUT commercial interruption!! How do you up your ratings when all your competitors are do the same thing? That was a stupid, ridiculus thing to say.

I have american friends, I have been to america several times. I know there are alot of nascar fans that go to the track just to socialize but I also am aware that there are alot of people who intelligent race fans that watch nascar.

It's been mentioned about the foriegn people...........about 200 of them!! But, you know what? They have been lumped in the total as AMERCIANS............not matter what their nationality!! Geeze you don't like us much do you?

Careful now...your true colors are showing.

The biggest telling sign of a racist is when they say, "I have black friends".

No DE it is a fact alot of american media was useing the incident to acheive higher ratings, cnn went on cover the incident for months when others had stopped.

I have no problems with independent americans, its mostly there media that anoys me the most the way they egzagerate every little peice of info they get.

I have seen alot of you even complain about some it yourselfs with the way they covered tony stewart. The same way they cover him they cover most things.

I know who you are, you're that lady that sued Burger King because the coffee was hot huh?

I have american friends, I have been to america several times. I know there are alot of nascar fans that go to the track just to socialize but I also am aware that there are alot of people who intelligent race fans that watch nascar.

Sort of changing the subject now aren't you? I say you don't know much about NASCAR fans either. I'm willing to bet that there is next to no "fan" at a NASCAR event that goes to "socialize".........they may get drunk and socialize but they didn't go to the race as a social activity.

DE if you look back I think abooja acused me of coming here to make fun of drunk redneck nascar fans. I was replying to that post.

No DE it is a fact alot of american media was useing the incident to acheive higher ratings, cnn went on cover the incident for months when others had stopped.

And CNN is no longer the "top all newschannel" anymore.:) So I guess their little stunt didn't work......huh?

DE if you look back I think abooja acused me of coming here to make fun of drunk redneck nascar fans. I was replying to that post.

But in your reply you said that some go to the races to "socialize".......that's a crock.:D

DE I supose no one goes to a race to watch wrecks either. everyone that goes to a nascar race is a true fan??? now I think thats a bit of a crock.

Back
Top Bottom