Merge Trucks into Cup

O

Old Ironhead

I think that it would be a good idea to merge the truck series into the cup series,they could run every track that has 2 dates. Then let Nascar or the tracks decide when they want the teams to drive either cars or trucks that race weekend.Wouldn't the cup races at Michigan,Fontana,Pocono and all tracks that have the dreaded areo push be better if the trucks were used there.. I heard this question posed to Dave Despain on Wind Tunnel,he thinks it would never happen. But I think if the fans demanded it,it wouldn't be that much of a stretch. Of course the Daytona 500 would always be run with cars.

that would never happen, you ask a nascar fan what would he rather see and I bet you 9 outta 10 would say a cup race and the only time you see a sold out or close to sold out truck race is when they run by themself, anytime they run with the cup cars you see alot of empty seats.

Originally posted by kat2220@Oct 29 2003, 09:11 PM
WHAT? NEVER HAPPEN!
I say this because the truck races at Michigan have a ton more passing than the the cup races. as long as cup drivers were still driving the fans would still come to the track and watch. Ok,how about at just a few selected tracks then.

Didn't catch the idea on Wind Tunnel and I'm a bit confused as to what you are proposing.

Are saying have the WC, which would of course not be WC but NC, teams build, develope, and race both a truck and a car? Then they use say a car at the track for the spring race and then a truck at the track for the fall race?

Never happen and would not change a thing about the racing. The rules for the truck series and the Cup series as regards testing and such are completely different. And so are the budgets. If forced to do this the Cup teams would throw money, testing, engineering, and R&D at the trucks so hard they would become more like the cars and result in the same style of racing.

Never underestimate the power of cubic money,

Methinks if they raced trucks at Mich&Fontana, that the racing would be better and you'd have alot more lead changes. And hey ,the trucks run without restrictor plates at Daytona,that be okay for the Pepsi 400 in July. Maybe,just a thought.

Are saying have the WC, which would of course not be WC but NC, teams build, develope, and race both a truck and a car? Then they use say a car at the track for the spring race and then a truck at the track for the fall race?
Yeah that's what I was thinking,but I think it'd be better served at just a few tracks.

Might be interesting, but it likely won't happen because of the expense involved. would really put a hurting on the low budget teams and hand an even larger advantage to the high dollar foks.

The trucks do not run "restrictor plates" at Daytona, but they do not run unrestricted. The air induction rules for the trucks are a bit different. They run two openings in the grille which feed air to the carb. Sort of a ram air deal. Normally the ducts are I believe a max of 3-inch diameter. At Daytona the ducts are restricted to either 2 or 2 1/2 inches max. It has the same effect.

There have been many times where I fall out of my chair laughing at some of the emails and callers Dave gets on his show. They tend to throw tradition and intellegence out the window when it comes to racing. Combining The top tier with the 3rd tier would never fly. Rules are different, templetes obviously are different, racing is run different. Plus if NASCAR would ever decide to run a circus like the one suggested I along with other NASCAR traditionalist would probably have to move on to a different form of racing to watch.
Screw Toyota too. :p

Originally posted by N2racin88@Oct 30 2003, 10:59 AM
There have been many times where I fall out of my chair laughing at some of the emails and callers Dave gets on his show. They tend to throw tradition and intellegence out the window when it comes to racing. Combining The top tier with the 3rd tier would never fly. Rules are different, templetes obviously are different, racing is run different. Plus if NASCAR would ever decide to run a circus like the one suggested I along with other NASCAR traditionalist would probably have to move on to a different form of racing to watch.
Screw Toyota too. :p
Amen! :p

The massive Nascar TV audience would tune out so fast that there would be a reverse power failure. Most of Nascar's $$$$ comes from TV (excluding team sponsors), not the fans actually attending the races.

I'm not sure ya'll are understanding the proposal, at least not the way I understand it.

Not combining the top tier (as in Winston or Nextel Cup) with the third tier (as in Craftsman Truck) at all. But rather having the top tier run trucks. Same drivers they pay the money to see but in trucks of their own instead of the cars.

Sad truth is folks come to see the names for the most part. You put all the Cup drivers in trucks and run the races in the slots designated now for the cars and the fans will come.

No clue what Toyota has to do with this concept.

Originally posted by HardScrabble@Oct 30 2003, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure ya'll are understanding the proposal, at least not the way I understand it.

Not combining the top tier (as in Winston or Nextel Cup) with the third tier (as in Craftsman Truck) at all. But rather having the top tier run trucks. Same drivers they pay the money to see but in trucks of their own instead of the cars.

Sad truth is folks come to see the names for the most part. You put all the Cup drivers in trucks and run the races in the slots designated now for the cars and the fans will come.

Totally disagree, the fans come to see Winston Cup racing, not trucks. Drivers come and go and W.C. still remains the #1 form of racing in the U.S. Look what happened when Petty retired or when Dale sr was lost, the sport continued on and other drivers took over. That is what would happen with the trucks. Other drivers would step up in W.C. and you would soon forget about the drivers in trucks. At least that is my 2 cents. NTS has given it a valiant effort but will never be very popular with the masses.

Sure I do. You would be merging them together according to whoever brought up the idea on Windtunnel. Ocassionally run a truck, ocassionally run a car. Dumb idea IMO. The truck series is seen as the third tier division. If I want to see trucks I'll see trucks. In this case I want to see my drivers in cars.

My Toyota reference had to do with me being a traditionalist. Its how I feel. Sticking trucks in something that has always been cars is just not right.

Back
Top Bottom