Michelin pays up for US GP farce

W

WideOpenPhoto

Ticket-holders from the farcical US Grand Prix at Indianapolis in June are now being invited to apply for refunds.
Tyre supplier Michelin announced last month that it would pay back all spectators after only six cars raced following a row about their tyres.

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is administering the refund on behalf of Michelin and has now published details and forms for claimants.

The IMS requested all claims to be submitted by 29 August.

IMS president Joie Chitwood said he was still debating whether to stage the race next year.

We have a contract with Indianapolis, so I don't see any problem
Bernie Ecclestone
F1 commercial boss

"It's important to us because we've made a huge investment in the sport by building the road course and adding the buildings to Gasoline Alley," Chitwood said.
"But we have to decide what's in the best interest of our fans, the speedway and the city."

Chitwood admitted he had been discussing another race with F1 officials.

And F1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone said there is still one more year on the current contract.

"We have a contract with them, so I don't see any problem," Ecclestone said on Monday.

"From our point of view, we don't have a problem. Tony (George, IMS owner) and I are discussing another five years after that."

I think it is very good of Michelin to pay up for their tyres although I feel it is part of the F1 parcel that these failures although the sport should be technologicaly advanced enough to avoid still happen.Nice to see another english man in the form of player 63 on the site.

Back
Top Bottom