Monster Energy ‘We’re going to bring a party’ to NASCAR

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
A Monster Energy executive told SiriusXM NASCAR Radio on Thursday that “we’re going to bring a party. We’re going to bring girls. We’re going to have a lot of fun’’ at NASCAR races.

This season marks Monster Energy’s debut as title sponsor of NASCAR’s Cup Series.

Mitch Covington, vice president of sports marketing for Monster Energy, was on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio’s “Tradin’ Paint’’ show to talk about what fans might expect from the new sponsor.

“Monster, we were built on girls, music and racing,’’ Covington said. “We think that fits with NASCAR really good.’’

Covington was asked how NASCAR and the racing will look under Monster’s sponsorship.

“We want it to have a Monster look and feel to it, for sure,’’ Covington said. “At the same time, we want the racing to be really exciting, and NASCAR has been very open to be willing to change some formats and things. I don’t have any specifics. Anything that can make it better for the fans.

“There’s 2.5 million or so that go to a race in a year, and there’s 180 million that watch it on TV. While we want to have a great experience at the track, we have to keep that in mind, too, how it looks to all the fans at home.’’

“We went into this at the end of the season at the last minute. We’re going to have to kind of learn as we go. We don’t pretend to have had a plan mothballed in the closet over there in case we sponsored NASCAR. We’re going to be learning and watching everything that goes on to hopefully, as we go, make it better.’’

Covington said that Monster Energy is excited about the NASCAR fan base and how both can interact, saying that “we look forward to exposing our line of products and our lifestyle and our culture to some people that maybe have not experienced it before.

“Would we like to see more young people get involved? Of course we would. That’s the future of the sport and the future of the fans. We have to bring some young people into the sport, but, at the same time, we consider all ages our people.’’

Also about the fans, Covington said that Monster wants “the NASCAR fan base to look at us as one of them and supporting their sport and really authentically ingrained into NASCAR racing.

“NASCAR is kind of the pinnacle of racing in America. Monster is an American brand. We have a global presence, but at the root of things, we’re an American brand. Being an integral part of NASCAR is really special for us because it’s the biggest form of racing in America and we want to be there.’’

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/01...e-says-were-going-to-bring-a-party-to-nascar/

... “We went into this at the end of the season at the last minute. We’re going to have to kind of learn as we go. We don’t pretend to have had a plan mothballed in the closet over there in case we sponsored NASCAR. ...
I think this is the first time we've seen this admitted officially.

I go back and forth on these discussed changes. This morning I'm willing to wait and see what's presented. Tomorrow I may go ballistic over the slightest suggestion of change.

Either way, the dog will still be curled up at my feet, waiting for her chance to sneak onto my lap.

Probably won't be in our lifetimes , but someday , some ad agency , will come up with a new image of Nascar . A strong sport , proud of itself , confident that it entertains it's fans without the need for hoopla and micro managing . SUNDAY ..SUNDAY...SUNDAY ...COME OUT AND SEE THE GREATEST RACING IN THE WORLD .... Instead , we get this ..... We aren't worthy , come out and see the girls .

Probably won't be in our lifetimes , but someday , some ad agency , will come up with a new image of Nascar . A strong sport , proud of itself , confident that it entertains it's fans without the need for hoopla and micro managing . SUNDAY ..SUNDAY...SUNDAY ...COME OUT AND SEE THE GREATEST RACING IN THE WORLD .... Instead , we get this ..... We aren't worthy , come out and see the girls .
Many fans, especially new ones, aren't entertained, and that's the problem. The numbers prove it. The greatest ad agency on earth could think of the funniest/smartest/most enjoyable ad campaign ever created for a pizza place - but if the pizza is meh, I won't be coming back. Again, that's what the numbers show. The experience is everything, and right now that's where NASCAR needs the most help. I don't know if Monster is the right answer, but it's some kind of answer, and that's better than no answer (when it comes to the health/future of NASCAR).

The decline IMO started with Nascar going to bigger tracks and failing to produce an exciting product.
Long straights led to higher speeds but speed doesn't make the best show. I love Go Cart racing because the drivers are fully engaged 100%. Short track racing also demands the driver has no time to let up. These tracks that are repaving and taking out seats should also shorten the racing surface, lower the banking and make them more challenging. Carl is right when he says take away the down force and let the drivers race with skills.

Many fans, especially new ones, aren't entertained, and that's the problem. The numbers prove it. The greatest ad agency on earth could think of the funniest/smartest/most enjoyable ad campaign ever created for a pizza place - but if the pizza is meh, I won't be coming back. Again, that's what the numbers show. The experience is everything, and right now that's where NASCAR needs the most help. I don't know if Monster is the right answer, but it's some kind of answer, and that's better than no answer (when it comes to the health/future of NASCAR).
I love the Monster events and have taken my grandson to several . Just hope they want to promote NASCAR racing and not some new version of Monster Trucks , which personally I think is more of a sideshow than a sport. Really , if NASCAR is that bad , maybe it should be gone .

Woah! That is a 10 star post if I have ever seen one.

I just don't think motorsports in general are the spectacle they once were to people. And today in our ever evolving world people care more about green, electric, self-driving vehicles and technology more than they do fast cars with huge engines racing around. The roots of the sport and the aspects of it that made it great no longer connect with the majority of today's world. It can't be fixed IMO. We've got what we've got. And I'm ok with that, I'm not going anywhere.

In my opinion, NASCAR rose in popularity when Smokey and the Bandit were the rage. Hal Needham took racing to a new level with his fancy uniforms and corporate America jumped on board with advertising. NASCAR became the "in thing" among the younger generation and wannabes. Guys like me who had been enjoying the sport since the mid-fifties were happy with just watching some hard knuckle racing, both on and off the track.
Fast forward to the nineties, race tickets were at a premium at any venue. Then, the thrill was gone and the "in crowd" moved on to the next "in thing."
I never thought I would see the day when a Martinsville or Bristol race was not sold out.
Track owners, NASCAR, team owners with business savvy, and NASCAR all made mucho dinero and the smart ones still are. But those days of glory when grandstands were filled, tickets scalped and racers hired based on skill with little to no consideration to sponsorship skills, are gone. The "in crowd" no longer is fascinated with NASCAR.

Local home town tracks can't always get enough participants due to high cost of placing a car on the track. This all takes away from the big picture. And in the end, NASCAR is screwing with the rules to make it "entertaining." Maybe what they are trying by reducing aero features will make the drivers work for the win through skill and team chemistry. That way of reverting partially to the way it use to be might bring some excitement back to the sport for the younger fans and keep a hold on the older ones.

I love the Monster events and have taken my grandson to several . Just hope they want to promote NASCAR racing and not some new version of Monster Trucks , which personally I think is more of a sideshow than a sport. Really , if NASCAR is that bad , maybe it should be gone .

MTE5NTU2MzE2MTQ4ODkzMTk1.jpg

As I said in response to this same story on another thread you can clearly see Nascar did not have companies lined up to become title sponsors. At some point Monster made a "take it or leave it" offer and Nascar went shopping to get a better deal that never materialized.

Even though I have been told several times I am still not sure what an experience is. I think it has something to do with having strong WiFi and being able to talk to your friends a lot but I may be way off base with that. The way I am wired is that if I go to a gun and knife show I want to be able to look at and/or purchase guns, knives and ammo and then get going.

I do not care who CUP is sponsored by, as long as 40 badass hotrods show up each week and race hard, I will watch. If they gimmick CUP up with half time, caution clocks and heat races, well, I will have to adapt or go, but me thinks I will still watch it, bitch a lot, but still watch it and tell them what I think of it on the Nascar Fan Council.
But hay, to each his own.
I personally like the whole Nascar thing, Bad ass race Cars, drivers, pit crews, intense competition, rivalry's, strategy etc etc. If Pretty girls get involved so be it, as long as it is entertaining me I will watch and attend as many races as I can.

I'm having a rough time trying to get used to the new race names. An example.

GEICO 500 Talladega Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) race.

I do not care who CUP is sponsored by, as long as 40 badass hotrods show up each week and race hard, I will watch. If they gimmick CUP up with half time, caution clocks and heat races, well, I will have to adapt or go, but me thinks I will still watch it, bitch a lot, but still watch it and tell them what I think of it on the Nascar Fan Council.
I personally like the whole Nascar thing, Bad ass race Cars, drivers, pit crews, intense competition, rivalry's, strategy etc etc. If Pretty girls get involved so be it, as long as it is entertaining me I will watch and attend as many races as I can.

One thing I do miss about Nascar is the intense manufacturer and driver rivalries but I don't see that anymore.

I'm probably a lifer too but not likely in track attendance. I'm afraid I'm only a 'race shortening' announcement from attending my last NASCAR race. I don't live close enough to one of these venues to make the trek for less of the NASCAR product. I'll probably be taking in more of these future events from the comfort of my recliner. That's their loss as my wife and I tend to spend some hard earned money in the local economy when we're at these races.

I'm probably a lifer too but not likely in track attendance. I'm afraid I'm only a 'race shortening' announcement from attending my last NASCAR race. I don't live close enough to one of these venues to make the trek for less of the NASCAR product. I'll probably be taking in more of these future events from the comfort of my recliner. That's their loss as my wife and I tend to spend some hard earned money in the local economy when we're at these races.
I'm holding off on making my usual plans for this years races until after the announcement. By this time I would normally have my route laid out and reservations made at the campgrounds. I spend a helluva lotta time, energy and money attending several races a year and that may well end very soon. I pull an RV 5,000 to 8,000 miles every year to attend races and that alone is enough to make us quit going if we think the experience we look for is not there.

"The girls" stuff is gonna drive wives of the drivers nuts. Whats the over under on how long Denny H can behave himself?

I'm holding off on making my usual plans for this years races until after the announcement. By this time I would normally have my route laid out and reservations made at the campgrounds. I spend a helluva lotta time, energy and money attending several races a year and that may well end very soon. I pull an RV 5,000 to 8,000 miles every year to attend races and that alone is enough to make us quit going if we think the experience we look for is not there.
I hear ya.

NASCARs nightmare scenario....

I don't know that my attendance will be affected too much. The race on Sunday is obviously reason #1 for going, but the experience of a race weekend as a whole is what makes me continue to spend loads of money every year. I just love all of it.

I really feel like Monster is like the second coming of Winston. If you think about it these energy drink companies have filled the advertising void that was left by tobacco companies not being allowed to advertise like they did. Haven't been to a race weekend since 2012 but I'll probably go to Kentucky this year to see what changes they've made to the weekend festivities. Might try to go to a Bristol cup race as well.

Honored to have a Skoal post a picture of himself with my post . And without the hockey mask . Diggin the jacket and tie Skoal.

Ted, I can only say I wish I was as handsome as PT Barnum but I definitely got hit with the ugly stick so I can only dream.

That makes sense. I have three tracks within three hours and I not making any plans or buying any tickets until the cat claws his way out of the bag.

I really feel like Monster is like the second coming of Winston. If you think about it these energy drink companies have filled the advertising void that was left by tobacco companies not being allowed to advertise like they did. Haven't been to a race weekend since 2012 but I'll probably go to Kentucky this year to see what changes they've made to the weekend festivities. Might try to go to a Bristol cup race as well.
See, that's what I don't get at all. I wouldn't go to the track to check out anything except the racing. If I'm there, I'll wander around, more to get some exercise than anything else. I can't think of much a sponsor could offer that would attract me to an event in which I otherwise have little or no interest.

I did attend my first major golf tournament a couple of years ago, a sport I have a minor interest in. What attracted me? Not any surrounding hoopla, not any autograph signing parties, not the free parking and shuttle buses to the course. Free admission for active and retired military. That will get me to try something I've never looked at before, believe you me. But that had nothing to do with the event sponsor; apparently it's a policy of either most courses or tournaments, or of the PGA itself.

The only 'experience' I'm after at the track is learning the grandstands with the best views and the least trafficked roads in and out.

Back
Top Bottom