montpeier, in.

• Thread starter johnnythunderhead
  • Start date
J

johnnythunderhead

looks like the plan is Montpelier , in. for the b o s s show on sat 9-6-14/ I see they start early (6:30) so gonna have to get there early. should be a great field of 410 non-wing sprints on hand (I'd imagine 35 to 40), with Robert ballou scheduled to be there on his return from cali// it will be yet another new track for me, only a 1/4 mile though/ I am bummed that the midgets will not be running, but the weather looks good for now and if it stays that way i'll be there/ the burg is having a lame rodeo of sorts goat roping n barrel racing, no bull riding instead of racing, so i'll certainly pass on that// its a long haul to montpelier so its all about the weather???? otherwise i'll prolly be in ky. checkin out some music again

I went to Monteplier when I visited IN a few weeks ago. Weather was crap then too, but they got the show in.

well its fri art and the front should be through Montpelier by noon tomorrow and it should be dry and clear from then on, so it looks good for tomorrow

made the b o s s show at Montpelier and it was a good one, the pits were packed with the 43 410 non wing sprint cars signed in, along with about 30 each on the other classes, mods, stock cars and bombers (about 2 too many classes imho) it was was my first trip to this track and I liked what I saw, it was a larger than average 1/4 mile, and was a semi banked d-shaped track which is well inside the city limits of the cool little town. it reminded me a lot of the track and scenerio at mercer, pa. the grandstands were packed and the I told anyone who wanted to listen that robert ballou would take the win, and after early leader jon stanbrough spun after coming into contact with a lapped car, ballou and scotty weir put on a torrid battle, which was eventually won by Robert ballou. the track prep folks had re-worked and watered the track before the sprint feach and imho did not get turns 1 and 2 packed in quite well enough, as early leader branden spithaler caught a rut between 1 and 2 and took a wild ride involving a series of flips. he was able to crawl out seemingly uninjured, however his car began to smoke from the engine compartment and it seemed to take the fire truck forever getting to it, spithaler ripped the bonnet off himself so the fire (open flames by then) could be extinguished. I don't understand why other members of the track safety crew did not have fire extinguishers, could have prevented a lot of damage. then on the restart there was a massive melee in which tod keen, josh spencer and joss Moffatt all flipped and were done for the night. jon stanbrough then pulled out into a sizable lead, but spun when he tangled with a car he was lapping., which set up the battle between ballou and weir. then after the sprint feach, I was going to stick around to watch the modified feach, and the match race between stanbrough and an old wedge type late model with side panels/ but the announcer advised that a driver was having issues and needed to be transported to the hospital, and they would have to wait on a 2nd ambulance to arrive at the track before the track ambulance could leave (which I thought was ridiculous) the announcer seemed poorly informed as he did not advise who the driver was and whether he had been injured in one of the previous crashes, or was injured in the pits, or whether he had taken ill. i waited for awhile, but was getting cold and I was getting sleepy and headed on back to the long 2 plus hour drive back to the nati/ I heard Gilpin won that mod feach, haven't heard how the $200.00 winner take all match race turned out. I can see a usac race taking place at Montpelier in the future/ but track promoter, please : always have 2 ambulances on site when racing sprint cars (hopefully they won't be needed, but just in case) and for crying out loud invest in some fire extinguishers and see too it that everyone on your safety grew has one! oh, and I was disappointed that the midgets were not on the schedule last night, as Montpelier has been running midgets as of the past couple seasons. but all in all it was another enjoyable evening of some excellent racing.

My friend Travis Berryhill was finally back in his 401k sprint car after a long layoff (works for Andretti Autosport, so doesn't get to spend time racing). He ended up 5th last night.

I kinda like that place. Drive down the neighborhood streets paved in brick to get to the track.

they would have to wait on a 2nd ambulance to arrive at the track before the track ambulance could leave (which I thought was ridiculous)

I have had the same thing happen to me at an ARCA race at Berlin Raceway, very frustrating to see a big show stopped because of that...
Glad you got your race in. Went the night before to my race in Barrie, Ontario , raining a lot of the way there and poured all night. Lucky it wasn't a dirt race or the certainly would have cancelled it. Stopped raining in the morning and was all dry in time for all on track activity. Great side by side battle for the lead across the line with the Canadian Tire Series.

glad you were able to get your race in Toledo, sounds like a good'n/ yeah luvracin, , berryhill looked good (the name sure rang a bell from years begone too) Andretti's been looking better all the time too, gaining alot of podium finishes/ and yeah that is a cool little town and from the looks of the grandstands the whole town must'a been at the track/ did you happen to notice who won the match race between stanbrough and the wedge late model with side panels? I suspect it would have been the wedge. ballou asked if he should invest $400.00 in a winner take all match race with a similarily set up wedge l m/ I told him no, based on a run what ya brung race i saw years ago, where a wedge late model with side panels was running essentially the same lap times as ascoc winged sprints in time trials

glad you were able to get your race in Toledo, sounds like a good'n/ yeah luvracin, , berryhill looked good (the name sure rang a bell from years begone too) Andretti's been looking better all the time too, gaining alot of podium finishes/ and yeah that is a cool little town and from the looks of the grandstands the whole town must'a been at the track/ did you happen to notice who won the match race between stanbrough and the wedge late model with side panels? I suspect it would have been the wedge. ballou asked if he should invest $400.00 in a winner take all match race with a similarily set up wedge l m/ I told him no, based on a run what ya brung race i saw years ago, where a wedge late model with side panels was running essentially the same lap times as ascoc winged sprints in time trials
Not sure what you are referencing with the "match race between stanbrough and wedge late model with side panels"? I know Kalamazoo had some late model race like that this weekend? ( http://www.kalamazoospeedway.com/wp-content/uploads/Andy-Bozell-WEBSITE3.jpg ). I didn't go to that, i went to Barrie Speedway in Canada for the NASCAR Canadian TIre Series race. 300 laps at the 1/3 mile track.

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-9_10-8-2.png
    upload_2014-9-9_10-8-2.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 231
no Toledo this was a match race between an old wedge late model with side panels and jon stanbroughs non wing sprint car that was slated to run at Montpelier last sat. nite after the modified feature, and I was hoping luvracin.com might have watched this race.

no Toledo this was a match race between an old wedge late model with side panels and jon stanbroughs non wing sprint car that was slated to run at Montpelier last sat. nite after the modified feature, and I was hoping luvracin.com might have watched this race.
I didn't watch it, I only knew where Berryhill finished because his mom texted me. I thought I saw a picture of the wedge late model, but can't find it now.

oh my bad, that was directed at VA Dirt, ok!

Back
Top Bottom