More Helton to DEI

D

DirtyMo1381529

courtesty of jayski:
More on Helton; DEI; and Horish; from Tuesday's Toronto Sun...in part......The NASCAR racing world is buzzing about a rumour that Mike Helton will pack up his job as president of the stock car racing sanctioning body and move his stuff over to Dale Earnhardt Inc. For anyone who follows the ins and outs of NASCAR in general and DEI in particular, Helton taking over the reigns at the Mooresville, N.C., based team makes absolute sense. Since the death of Dale Earnhardt at Daytona in 2001 the family firm has been run by a triumvirate -- Earnhardt's widow, Teresa, racing boss Ty Norris and shop boss Steve Hmiel. The problem is that the three vie for decision-making power, and often it ends up that nothing gets done, or when it gets done it gets done badly. A case in point was the apparent deal offered open-wheel ace Sam Hornish by Norris. Hornish, the two-time defending IRL champ, signed with Team Penske yesterday [Monday]. Norris had made a handshake deal for Hornish to join DEI to replace Jeff Green in 2004. The deal would have been a double win for DEI, as it would have have kept Pennzoil from taking its sponsorship off the #1 team. But according to sources in the garage, Norris failed to pass the deal by Teresa Earnhardt. When she got wind of it, she put the kibosh on it -- not because she didn't think Hornish was a good driver, but because it was not her idea. Now Hornish is telling people the whole thing soured him on ever racing for DEI.
And then there's the Dale Earnhardt Jr. contract dispute. Junior holds Norris in high regard, both as a friend and team boss, but thinks that maybe Hmiel and his stepmother don't realize his value. DEI without Junior is unthinkable but many NASCAR people are saying that Helton may be the only one capable of patching things up between the 28-year-old superstar and the team.

This rumor won't die, and helton and dei have denied so i guess it must be true.

I have been thinking about this whole deal. I hated the idea of it the first time I heard it, but the more I think about it the more I like it. If they would hire somebody, like Helton, and give him complete control and quit the power struggle, maybe, just maybe, DEI could be the powerhouse that Dale had invisioned when he hired Steve Park to drive for his Busch team.

bowtie, I'm thinking the same way you are. DEI needs a President. Don Hawk did the job very well. Dale and Teresa both trusted him. I think Mike would be the ideal choice.

The article here though brought from Jayski's is originally from the Toronto Sun, further it is not printed in its entirety. There one section of the article which makes me wonder if the guy in Toronto reads the papers.

The story first surfaced late last week on a number of NASCAR-related Internet sites.

It gained more steam when Helton would not deny there was truth to the burgeoning rumour during a television appearance on Speed Channel.

He totally fails to mention that the morning following Mr. Helton's appearance on "Wind Tunnel" at least two newspapers, perhpas more, carried direct and fairly blunt denials from Helton that there was no truth to this rumor. That he was perfectly happy where he was. That he and Teresa had never spoken about his becoming a member of DEI. That he had no desire to change jobs. That he has no idea how these things get started, That Teresa and DEI likely did not appreciate the rumor any more than he did.

Further of interest to me, is that a post on this board with that info went unremarked on.

The rumor is also bologna and can be used to make a sandwich since its not worth using it for anything else.

Back
Top Bottom