More on Changes at Ginn

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
More on Changes at Ginn; Regan Smith to Drive in Place of Marlin or Nemechek? Ginn Racing laid off an unspecified number of employees as part of its re-evaluation process and has "hibernated" its Busch Series team as the company attempts to shore up its direction, Ginn Racing Chief Executive Officer Jay Frye said Sunday at Chicagoland Speedway. Frye acknowledged there were recent layoffs at the company and said the Busch team would not enter any events in the near future. He also hinted that part of the evaluation process could include getting rookie Regan Smith some more seat time in a Nextel Cup car this season, which would mean bumping either Sterling Marlin or Joe Nemechek from their current full-time rides. Frye said the team wants to start getting ready for next year and look to the future - which may or may not include a cutback from three to two Cup teams. He said selling off the owner points for one of the teams has not been discussed. Smith will drive a Cup car full-time in either the #13 or #14 next season, meaning either Nemechek or Marlin - both of whom have contracts that expire after this year - will not return. If the organization cuts back to two teams, neither would return. Frye indicated the evaluation process could result in a change sooner than later - possibly as soon as the next Cup race at Indianapolis. If Smith were to take over for either Nemechek or the 50-year-old Marlin, he would have to do so on a part-time basis, given that he still has commitments to split the #01 car with Martin this season. (SceneDaily.com), see earlier information on my #14 team page. (7-16-2007) UPDATE: Marty Snider reported on Sirius' The Morning Drive that he had talked to #13-Joe Nemechek Tuesday morning and additional information on the situation at Ginn Racing should be announce later today. David Poole reports that his source says #13-Joe Nemechek and #14-Sterling Marlin will not run at Indy. (7-17-2007) UPDATE 2: Regan Smith will replace Sterling Marlin in the #14 Chevy at Ginn Racing, starting with the Allstate 400 at Indianapolis, sources confirmed Tuesday. And Joe Nemechek could be out of a ride in the #13 Chevy for Bobby Ginn's team due to a lack of sponsorship. The team doesn't plan to run the car at Indianapolis unless a sponsor is found. Because the Allstate 400 is one of the biggest Nextel Cup events of the season, it's possible to get a one-off sponsor deal just for that race. If that happens, Ginn officials would race Nemechek in the #13. Marlin and Nemechek still are under contract at Ginn, but both drivers have been told they are free to look for opportunities elsewhere. (ESPN.com)

Almirola to Ginn in 2008? UPDATE 3:: Hearing Aric Almirola, who was credited with the Milwaukee Busch Series race win Saturday night, will join Ginn Racing in 2008 as a protégé to #01-Mark Martin. Supposedly the plan is for Almirola to run part-time Cup, Busch and Trucks in 2008 and take over the #01 Chevy full-time in 2009. (6-25-2007) UPDATE - denied: Though he still is "not happy" about being pulled for Nextel Cup star Denny Hamlin during Saturday's Busch Series race at Milwaukee, Tampa's Aric Almirola said Wednesday he isn't frustrated at Joe Gibbs Racing and has no plans to leave the team. He said there is no truth to a rumor that appeared on ESPN-owned Web site Jayski.com saying he is headed to Ginn Racing next year and will race the #01 Chevrolet full time in Nextel Cup in 2009. "I'm under contract at JGR," Almirola, 23, said on a national conference call. "I have a long history with them. I've been there since I was 18 years old. I started racing late models with them, and they've become like family to me. I see our relationship growing." Almirola is scheduled to run six more Busch races, including the July 6 event at Daytona, and he said one race may be added. He is competing in the Craftsman Truck Series race this weekend at Memphis and will enter a couple of Nextel Cup Car of Tomorrow races this year with JGR's research and development team. He reiterated Wednesday that he hopes to race full time in at least the Busch Series next year. (Tampa Tribune)(6-28-2007) UPDATE 2: Sirius Speedway has learned that Aric Almirola will join Ginn Racing next season, sharing the #01 US Army Chevy with veteran Mark Martin. Almirola is currently under contract with Joe Gibbs Racing, but will reportedly replace Regan Smith in the #01 car in 2008, when Smith moves to full-time Nextel Cup status with Ginn. (Motorsports Soapbox)(7-16-2007) UPDATE 3: The original post at Motorsports Soapbox has been updated to include the following: Aric Almirola has requested a release from Joe Gibbs Racing, and will move within the next few days to a new position with Ginn Racing, sharing the #01 US Army Chevy with veteran Mark Martin. (Motorsports Soapbox)

Back
Top Bottom