Moving Out of The South

71Fan

If it's true that somewhere near half the Winston Cup races are run in just a few southern states, and that the huge majority of them are run on or near the eastern seaboard, how much longer can nascar afford to deny their major sponsors etc etc etc national home track exposure by not moving some of these races to other parts of the country, or even overseas?

Not much longer at all.

That's why there will be overseas races within 10 years.

Can't wait!

I dont know how soon it will happen but it will eventually.

I cant wait for it to happen though I always thought nascar should have overseas races.

i dont think over seas races will happen....they tried that with the Japan races and didnt get good feedback from the teams.

Theres too many races to have enough time to pack up and ship a team over seas to race.

if they do race over seas, you'll probably see the races drop from 30 something to the lower 20 something or hight teens.

travel time would take way too much time

That's a good point DEIFAN. It would suck that there would be less races. I think you gotta admit that it would be cool in that teams could make more money with bigger purses etc. Plus the competition would be tighter because only those teams with enough money to travel around the world would be able to compete.

I highly doubt that they would shorten the racing season just to run a few races overseas. They're making way too much money in the states to do that.

Originally posted by smack500
not compared to F1

?

Not sure what you mean. Obviously you are referring to money earned. But by whom in their respective series?

The series itself or the drivers or the teams?

I can see starting with a few exibition races, maybe in a few years some races in Canada to start off with.

nascar has to start spreadin out, not a southern sport anymore, if they build the track in newyork i heard rockinham is losing 1 of there dates, and to help nascar out, get rid of both new hampsire races and the homestead race, that will let them add 3 new races or 2 races and an off week, hopefully if this happens it wont be 3 new 1.5 mile ovals :mad:

Originally posted by toddgee24
hopefully if this happens it wont be 3 new 1.5 mile ovals :mad:

toddgee24, I couldn't agree more! NO MORE cookie cutter tracks.

it is sickening to me when you add 2 new races, chicago and kansas, and the tracks are basically the same, maybe they should've built 1 track in between chicago and kansas and doubled the seating capacity :rolleyes: i would like to see a 1 to 1-1/4 mile track like richmond, or michigan.

i think the last 5 tracks added to the circuit are i believe:

homestead
texas
las vegas
chicagoland
kansas

all 1.5 mile and not to mention kentucky which cup dont race at yet.

overseas? better leave there martinsville car at home because I don't think there is many short or for that matter any ovals. But that would be pretty sweet, give the world a taste of american V-8 :D

Never happen. Too cost prohibitive.

they already expect these guys to go from North carolina to Arizona to Miami in consecutive weeks. Toss in Holland or where ever, and a lot of teams are gonna get out of the business.

As it is, we have around 20 legitimate threats to win each week. F1 has maybe what, 3? Do y'all really want that?

As it is, we get a diverse, exciting series without having to watch races "live" at 4AM. The NASCAR Ragu 500k from Rome Italy would air at some ridiculous hour. Do y'all really want that?

As it is, Hideo Fukuyama, Frankie Stoddard and Ward Burton are the only ones who speak a foreign language...OK, bad example. :p

Point being, if it ain't broke, why do y'all want to fix it so damn bad?

I would suggest a euro NASCAR series but they allready have stock car racing, its called rally :)

Yea I hate those tracks, I hope they take one of those out and one of these new tracks is a short track.

I hope Nascar stays in the south. The south is what built them. The north did not give a damn for Nascar in the 70's and 80's when it wasent that big of a sport but now that Nascar is big the North likes it all of the sudden and I hope to god we don't go over seas The Japan thing did not work out so I don';t this this will.

The cookie cutter is the way of the future and nascar will follow the greatest market share. There is a beatiful little track in Colorado and talk of building a bigger one closer to Denver.

And if a track is built right close to the Mile High City, it will probably get a Cup race. Just way too big a market to pass up.

It's all about marketing, granted they still go all the southern tracks that are famous, but all these new ones are springing up around big cities. NASCAR would be stupid not to get the money out of these cities.

Originally posted by pettyfan4life
I hope Nascar stays in the south. The south is what built them. The north did not give a damn for Nascar in the 70's and 80's when it wasent that big of a sport but now that Nascar is big the North likes it all of the sudden and I hope to god we don't go over seas The Japan thing did not work out so I don';t this this will.

Be proud that NASCAR satarted in the south, but your out of line about "northerners". I frankly I get real annoyed by such talk. Until the late 70's, you couldn't even seen the whole race up here. You'd get bits and pieces on ABC's Wide World of Sports. So obviously it was hard to get news and see races. Just because NASCAR started down south, doesn't mean people around the states don't race or know whats going on. Also Tony Stewart, Matt Kenseth, Ryan Newman are all northern drivers. Don't ever forget Dick Trickle either. Like I said be proud of the people in the south who started the greatest racing series in the world, but saying the North doesn't care is uneducated.

no one got a race flag to flag before the 1979 Daytona 500.......even here in the south

Seems to me that there have been more than few drivers off the tracks of the frozen north that have gone south to whoop up on the locals. One of them even took the Cup one year.

And I happen to be a Westerner. I used to get my Cup news in the form of a top ten finishers list come Monday morning buried in the sports section of my local paper.

NASCAR's popularity today is a direct result of the northern and western market. If it weren't for our television markets nascar would very likely still be just a regional sport. Let's not forget that the third or fourth most challenging track on the circuit is out west in the form of PIR. And lets not forget Sears Point or Riverside either.

nascar racing today is a result of Big Bill's desire to expand the sport. If ya wanna blame the trend away from those great little tracks down south, blame it on corporate greed and leave the suckers....er fans out of it.

no one got a race flag to flag before the 1979 Daytona 500.......even here in the south

I didn't know that. However, it would be far easier to go to the races if you live down there. I'm not trying to rip anyone, but defend myself and others!

I agree 100% with ya 71. But hopefully they'll have a few small tracks out West as well :)

How is the indoor track that was going to Pittsburg shaping up in the Youngstown area? Anybody know?

We've got a great small track at Irwindale. All they gotta do is put 160,000 seats around it.:rolleyes:

I would love to have more races in the west. Maybe even Canada too. I have mixed feelings on oversees points races but I would rather not talk about it and get in a fight with somebody.

Sometimes I forget that not everyone has been around as long as others.

No NASCAR races were televised flag to flag before '79. Then for years all you had was Daytona 500, one at Talledega, one at Michigan, and maybe a couple more if you were lucky. MRN was your only source to know who won, unless you subscribed to Grand National (now Winston Cup) Scene. Then ESPN got the contract, but cable wasn't as available as it is now. My folks still don't have cable in their area, so dad bought one of them enormous satellite dishes....the big buggars that took the whole front yard.

Some of my fondest memories of childhood are Sunday afternoons, listening to MRN in the yard, maybe washing the car, maybe tossing a baseball with the old man, maybe just stretching out on old quilts in the shade and cutting a watermelon. To this day, I listen to way more racing than I watch.

I used to get weekly results in the late 70's early 80's in OnTrack Magazine. OnTrack was mostly dedicated open wheel, sports, and enduro racing, but it did usually have at least one page a week of Winston Cup stuff. Generally a picture or two, a few paragraphs, and the results.

And the only time MRN was on the air in Riverside, Cal was during the Cup race at the track.

HS look at how much it cost to run a team in f1 and how much it cost to run a team in nascar

Canada has oval tracks I dont see why nascar cant go there, nascar and cascar just had a competition like a couple months ago. I think mat kenseth won it but 2 canadians finished second and third.

They should have one race in canada just to see how it goes, Im hopefull that they will in the next 5 years or so.

http://www.cascar.ca/eastraceresults020630.html

Canada would be interesting. Also, for those not familiar with most Canadian people, they are absolutely wonderful. They would be very gracious hosts.

Well of course they be good guys. They're Americans aren't they?;)

So theres no complaints about nascar going to canada, just not overseas.

NASCAR has had at least one, and I think two, points races in Canada.

Not real sure if there is any type of agreement between NASCAR and CASCAR which would have to worked out in order to do it again.

For the moment it would seem that far too many areas of the US remain untapped for NASCAR to "need" to go overseas. The ROI is better served in the US.

For those who might have missed the detail, the latest track proposed by ISC is not a "cookie-cutter" (a term I don't genuinely acknowledge) but a .75 miler somewhat similar to Richmond. That is their proposal for the Meadowlands.

Can't say I'm a fan of "street courses". A road course is alright, though not my first choice, but a street course usually doesn't seem to provide the track space to promote good races. No expert on that, just an observation.

No doubt Smack that the cost of running a F1 team is far and away greater than any other form of motorsports in the world. But the number of competitive teams and races may reflect that fact. F1 is reported to be looking a many many changes to their current program. Some of them pretty sweeping in their impact. Certainly their forays into the US market over the past decade or so is proving disappointing to all the parties involved. Whether that can be changed remains to be seen.

I'm not a fan of street courses either. You think they bump and bang at Martinsville ;) But there is no way to pass on those courses. Road courses are fine, street courses are not IMO:)

Back
Top Bottom