My '63 Unibody (Integral Cab)

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by BobbyFord, Oct 21, 2018.

1. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

I’m going to install a later model plunger type electric brake light switch. The old pressure operated switch was on the old master cylinder. The new switch will be on the pedal assembly. So I made a bracket to hold the switch to the pedal bracket and another bracket that mounts to the pedal arm and actuates the switch.
    It’s a PITA to have to make so many items. It eats up a lot of time.
    My welder is crammed over in a dark corner, no nearby bench or vise. I need to get more parts and crap out of my garage so I can work.

2. BobbyFord

Eaton Spring called yesterday regarding an email I sent. I wanted them to leave the spring clamps off so I could paint the individual leaves (like I’ve done many times.)
    They strongly urge against painting in between the leaves. I guess I’ll paint the spring packs fully assembled when they arrive.

3. Whizzer

Whizzer Retired entrepreneur

WOW BobbyFord!! Thank you for the updates and excellent photos!! I feel like I am right there with ya during the rebuild and modifications. Please keep them coming!!

BobbyFord and DanicaFreak like this.
  4. BobbyFord

My springs shipped yesterday from Detroit, should be here Friday. The rain is supposed to stop Friday. I haven’t been able to do anything for the past few days.
    I did drop my spindles off at the machine shop to get the pins fit. Most people just use a pin reamer but a good engine guy does a more precise job. Sadly, the guy at the engine shop informed me he’s probably going to close the shop this year. :( He’s been at it probably close to 40 years, a real old school machinist. A perfectionist with so much knowledge and experience. He makes a lot of money and is always busy, loves what he does but he’s ready to retire. He said his oldest son is really good but doesn’t want to do the dirty work, he’d rather just build stuff with a CNC.
    I have a couple of engine blocks I would like to have done in the future. Maybe he can recommend someone.

5. kyle18fan

kyle18fan Team Owner Contributor

Many people use nylon no fit kingpin bushings, they suck really really badly. Nothing beats a precisely fit set of metal bushings. The shop that used to fit mine used a Sunnen rod hone to fit them instead of a reamer. You doing your own cam bearings or having machine shop do them ?

6. BobbyFord

I’m not doing a motor on this truck...yet. But I have a cam bearing tool.
    My goal right now is the cooling system, suspension and disc brake upgrade. This thing kinda got away from me and snowballed into more.
    I’m really supposed to be working on the other truck.
    Yes the nylon bushings are junk. This is a Moog metal bushing kit.

kyle18fan likes this.
  7. kyle18fan

Some clowns around here commonly use the no fits on big trucks, they last about a week and are loose when brand new. I did a set of metal ones recently and used a cylinder hone on a drill press to fit them, it worked really well. I stopped letting machine shops do my cam bearings years ago, they just rush thru them and sometimes they aren't quite right. Cam bearings are everything on many engines, they are the heart of the lube system.

8. BobbyFord

A lot of dummies don’t even replace cam bearings and then wonder why their oil pressure sucks.
    This machinist does does a great job on these king pins. He fitted the pins on my ‘72 spindles, too.

kyle18fan likes this.
  9. kyle18fan

One only has to look real quick to see where the oil goes first and how it gets to the rods and mains :idunno: A lot of guys use reground or rebuilt cams, I measured a bunch of journals on them and discovered the guy that polishes them gets a bit crazy with material removal. 2 to 3 thousands taken off on a lot of them, that isn't a good thing in my book o_O I have seen some new replacements that weren't much better, I always check them

BobbyFord likes this.
  10. BobbyFord

I learned something new a few days ago while doing some research on these trucks. Turns out I was way off on ‘63 Uni production numbers.
    There’s a guy on FTE website named Bill, his username is NumberDummy. He’s a retired Ford parts manager that worked for Crenshaw Ford. Turns out we know a lot of the same people.
    He puts the 1963 (last year) Unibody truck production numbers at only 5,456.

11. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

A '61 went for $80,000 on the Barrett-Jackson auction.

12. BobbyFord

That’s nuts. Must’ve been a crazy restomod.

13. BobbyFord

All 61-66 doors are physically interchangeable but the Uni doors had a straight body line below the window whereas the non-Uni truck doors had a scalloped body line.
    Early Uni doors (61-62) didn’t have a key lock on the outside of the driver side door. Some ‘63 trucks had a ‘62 no lock driver side door. Someone once explained it was because back then the streets were narrower and folks just usually slid out the passenger side and locked the door. I don’t know if that’s true.

14. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

It was stock, Mike Joy went into a lot of detail about it - he was pretty surprised at the sale price (as was I).

BobbyFord likes this.
  15. BobbyFord

That’s even more crazy.

16. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

It came down to two bidders really wanting the truck (those situations are fun to watch). I think they had more money than brains. But it was a good looking truck, it looked new, white and blue paint, 292 V8, 3 speed manual with overdrive, positraction.

There were a lot of trucks last night, unusual for Barrett-Jackson.

17. BobbyFord

That’s what happens when you just gotta have it. A good situation for the seller. Many times it’s because the bidder had a similar vehicle when they were younger.

TexasRaceLady and Johali like this.
  18. BobbyFord

Clutch likes this.
  19. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

I wasn't aware there were two types of rear windows. That big rear window curves around the corners - more impressive than a 5-window pickup.

BobbyFord likes this.