My '63 Unibody (Integral Cab)

5b17faf5a77452fb838dec0665bf5b2d.jpg
. This affecting you guys? Great thread Bobby enjoy following along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m pretty stoked. I was searching online for truck parts for a friend that lives in Wisconsin.
I accidentally stumbled on a Unicorn.
A real (non-aftermarket) tailgate for my truck. These tailgates are extremely difficult to find, especially if they aren’t rusted out. Because of the design of the tailgate they were prone to rotting out in the lower outer corners.
They make aftermarket ones but the metal is thinner and the F O R D stamping isn’t as deep as a factory tailgate. Aftermarket tailgates are $400 + shipping.

I’m pretty stoked. I was searching online for truck parts for a friend that lives in Wisconsin.
I accidentally stumbled on a Unicorn.
A real (non-aftermarket) tailgate for my truck. These tailgates are extremely difficult to find, especially if they aren’t rusted out. Because of the design of the tailgate they were prone to rotting out in the lower outer corners.
They make aftermarket ones but the metal is thinner and the F O R D stamping isn’t as deep as a factory tailgate. Aftermarket tailgates are $400 + shipping.

IHC tailgates are prone to rusting as well, they don't drain properly and rust from the inside out. A few years back, I found one for my truck in a salvage yard, it had probably been there for 30 years and it was perfect ....... 75 dollars and a few hours work digging it out and it was mine. Adding a few drain holes takes care of the problem on the International gates.

My tailgate is in Missouri on a FedEx hauler. Should be here Wednesday. I plan on welding up the seams, fixing any metal rot and sending it off to the blaster. This truck hasn’t had a tailgate in the 35 years that I’ve owned it. I have two sets of hardware (hinges, latches, handles, supports.) All attaching hardware, like the tailgate, is unique to Unibody trucks.

A lot of great, historic, global events happened in 1963. This truck is just one of them ;)

Yes, they did and yes I remember that truck. I got married that year. Still married to the same beautiful Bride who is my best friend, confidante, lover, partner in marriage and business. It took me a a long time to get trained but she persevered.

Had a nice day getting the truck adjusted to to new old tailgate. Right 1/4 end had a 1/2” gap so I gapped the 1/4 end. PITA, weld grind weld grind...
This truck looks awesome with a tailgate.

Had a nice day getting the truck adjusted to to new old tailgate. Right 1/4 end had a 1/2” gap so I gapped the 1/4 end. PITA, weld grind weld grind...
This truck looks awesome with a tailgate.
Where's a pic?

Cool pictures Bobby, it’s fun seeing the progress you’ve made. I bought a truck Tuesday and of course there’s more that I need to do it than the guy that sold it to me made it sound like. I’m currently waiting on an ECM, which was the one thing that I knew I needed going in. It should be coming in any day now, hopefully tomorrow. I finally got it cleaned up yesterday, and the trailer wiring was fixed today. Now it’s looking like I might need a new alternator, but hopefully the ECM can clear up all those issues. I’ve also got a tailgate latch that’s supposed to be coming in tomorrow. At some point I want to replace the whole tailgate. I’ve got a 2004 Silverado and the one on there looks like it came off of a late 90s model and it’s not quite the right color, but it’s only really obvious from a distance. I’m probably gonna need new tires in the semi-near future too, but I’m gonna try to hold that off since I really like the rims that it has now, and getting new tires that can fit those rims are gonna be more than I would want to pay. Overall it’s a pretty solid truck and hopefully it can last me a few years, or at least until I’m done with school.

Cool pictures Bobby, it’s fun seeing the progress you’ve made. I bought a truck Tuesday and of course there’s more that I need to do it than the guy that sold it to me made it sound like. I’m currently waiting on an ECM, which was the one thing that I knew I needed going in. It should be coming in any day now, hopefully tomorrow. I finally got it cleaned up yesterday, and the trailer wiring was fixed today. Now it’s looking like I might need a new alternator, but hopefully the ECM can clear up all those issues. I’ve also got a tailgate latch that’s supposed to be coming in tomorrow. At some point I want to replace the whole tailgate. I’ve got a 2004 Silverado and the one on there looks like it came off of a late 90s model and it’s not quite the right color, but it’s only really obvious from a distance. I’m probably gonna need new tires in the semi-near future too, but I’m gonna try to hold that off since I really like the rims that it has now, and getting new tires that can fit those rims are gonna be more than I would want to pay. Overall it’s a pretty solid truck and hopefully it can last me a few years, or at least until I’m done with school.
Have you owned a truck before?
One thing I learned is that once you’ve owned a truck, you can’t be without one.
I drove mine around today. It’s prolly five different colors and it isn’t very pretty but everywhere I go people love it and comment on it.

Have you owned a truck before?
One thing I learned is that once you’ve owned a truck, you can’t be without one.
I drove mine around today. It’s prolly five different colors and it isn’t very pretty but everywhere I go people love it and comment on it.
It’s actually my first vehicle. I’ve been working and saving up since June and I finally found a deal that I couldn’t turn down. It would’ve been nice to have bought one that was turnkey, but I do enjoy learning more about the mechanics of the truck and it makes me appreciate it more. I have a family member who has a 2005 Silverado and he’s helped me out a ton getting it fixed to be highway ready.
I think you’re right on always wanting a truck once you’ve had one. I’ve really enjoyed it in the short time that I’ve had it and I’m excited to get it out on the road shortly.

Watching a program on the History Channel about D.B. Cooper. Spotted this photo of the plane in the ground after the hijacker made his demands. Looks like a Unibody hauling the staircase...
558E512A-DE93-4780-85B5-74DBE76F0593.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom