My '63 Unibody (Integral Cab)

Rebuilt this junk battery tray. Just waiting for the paint to dry on the new metal.
49D3F3F9-56DB-4830-A22A-AA53A6F209D9.jpeg

I’m going to pull the grille, upper grille and gravel guard off tomorrow and send it to the blaster. Dude next door to the blaster will epoxy primer the bare metal parts afterwards.
I’m bored stiff, got the week off.
Dropped off tailgate hardware at the plater today.

Well I dropped the large body parts at the blaster yesterday. Dude in the bay next to the blaster can’t primer my stuff because the boss is gone for the week. Paul is going to primer my stuff on Monday or Tuesday.
Chopped out a piece of the bed floor on each side where the floor rusted where it was spot welded to the under bracing. I used weld-thru primer on the under bracing and welded in some new metal. Eventually the inside of the bed will get dustless blasted.

0D8C2A10-A7DB-4C11-B4E5-86774100BE5D.jpeg

I’m going to go see Paul tomorrow. He’s really good at figuring out what to do next. I know I need to get the engine and trans out of this truck. I need to get the doors off and the seat and electrical out of the cab. I just need input from someone else.

I trust Paul but I don’t trust anyone else’s ability or craftsmanship so I need to do the majority of work myself. I know that I need to finish welding up the dash, cab seams and bed holes. I just need a priority list.

Wow, rare car....an AMC AMX that is NOT a racecar. LOL. Where's a gremlin when ya need one?
You don’t see many of them. I know where there’s a completely original yellow 390 AMX, I even posted a pic of it here. We tried to buy it from the guy but he won’t sell it.

You don’t see many of them. I know where there’s a completely original yellow 390 AMX, I even posted a pic of it here. We tried to buy it from the guy but he won’t sell it.
There is a saying in Texas/Oklahoma... If you're going to guess what a racecar is, just guess Chevy Vega or Chevy S-10 and you have a 50% shot of being right. There's a couple Gremlins, an AMX or two, and even two Nash Metropolitans. One is super nice with an LS swap.

Been outside all day. I had two double espresso shots this morning. Holy crap, that stuff is liquid meth.
Cut the grass, weed n’ feed.
Electric blower on the driveway, then pressure wash. Sprayed and yanked weeds.
Pulled half the crap out of the garage, threw away a bunch of stuff, can barely move the trash can :mad:
Relocated a shelf that I haven’t seen in a while. Rearranged stuff, hung some gearhead wall art.
I’m still going to paint something before the weekend, prolly some new steelies for the front of the ‘72. Bought a new air hose and some inline filters.
If I get time I’ll weld a little and get the tailgate off to the blaster.

Been outside all day. I had two double espresso shots this morning. Holy crap, that stuff is liquid meth.
Cut the grass, weed n’ feed.
Electric blower on the driveway, then pressure wash. Sprayed and yanked weeds.
Pulled half the crap out of the garage, threw away a bunch of stuff, can barely move the trash can :mad:
Relocated a shelf that I haven’t seen in a while. Rearranged stuff, hung some gearhead wall art.
I’m still going to paint something before the weekend, prolly some new steelies for the front of the ‘72. Bought a new air hose and some inline filters.
If I get time I’ll weld a little and get the tailgate off to the blaster.
I got a lot of "stuff" that needs doing here. When can I expect you? LOL

I welded up 10 holes in the bed this morning. The PO obviously had a camper shell or three on this truck. :mad:
It's a PITA every time I want to weld because I have to remove the solid state fan controller off of the truck before welding.
I started on the passenger side roof seam today.
The roof section wasn't lined up on the assembly line before the spot welder lit up...
IMG_4383 (002).jpg
IMG_4384 (002).jpg

Nobody takes the time to metal this in. They would just weld the seam and use filler. I decided to correct the gap with metal.
IMG_4385 (002).jpg

A lot of welding and a lot of grinding. It's tedious. I still have the section across the back of the cab. I would charge someone $1,000 to eliminate this roof seam.
A few more zaps and a little more grinding and I'll be able to start on the back section.
IMG_4386 (002).jpg

$300+ for a gallon of primer now in Cali. I got Paul’s 25% shop discount so that helps.
I remember when $400 would buy enough primer and paint to do an entire car.
Thanks California.
Got my tailgate blasted this week, gonna set up that new primer gun in the morning and squirt it.

I welded up 10 holes in the bed this morning. The PO obviously had a camper shell or three on this truck. :mad:
It's a PITA every time I want to weld because I have to remove the solid state fan controller off of the truck before welding.
I started on the passenger side roof seam today.
The roof section wasn't lined up on the assembly line before the spot welder lit up...View attachment 47748View attachment 47749
Nobody takes the time to metal this in. They would just weld the seam and use filler. I decided to correct the gap with metal.
View attachment 47750
A lot of welding and a lot of grinding. It's tedious. I still have the section across the back of the cab. I would charge someone $1,000 to eliminate this roof seam.
A few more zaps and a little more grinding and I'll be able to start on the back section.
View attachment 47751
wow bobby. you are an artist.
GREAT work

Benn following along and now have some extra time so plan to start from the beginning of this thread and work my way through your project. Truly amazing what you are doing and how meticulous you are in the process.

Sometimes it’s difficult posting on car forums. This morning another poster tried to explain to me how drum brakes are efficient. He also prefers generators to alternators. :confused:

It’s been really hot so I haven’t been doing much outside. I really want to get done with the welding and metal work on this truck. It’s so tedious.
I fixed a couple more areas today.
This area was crap. I just had to add metal and rebuild what was there.
144D7E5A-A936-4BD5-A22A-3127C8A98FB1.jpeg

Looks a hell of a lot better now
BD63648E-78F2-4AA8-B976-48E1D907F77B.jpeg

I had to repair a giant hole in the dash

I’m also going to weld up the ten holes below radio area. I have a stock, restored Bendix tube radio...
02117E5E-E2F6-42BA-B097-D19C3376A79E.jpeg
8D710361-3C65-453F-9B70-4BEDF154041B.jpeg

I made a panel out of the same gauge metal to fill the void. Flanged the edges for backing.
23449BCA-9522-425B-8DBA-D217107BF206.jpeg

6D772280-E449-4130-973D-303124FF4A68.jpeg

Turned the temp down on the MIG and zapped it in
E66077C4-7021-4626-BA45-D3CB1816D8AE.jpeg

I have another small area, top right of the repair area that I’ll fix tomorrow
66E23A02-5713-4928-922D-6744897EB6E7.jpeg

A lot of bad things happened to this dash in 57 years.
02117E5E-E2F6-42BA-B097-D19C3376A79E.jpeg

Attachments

• 41EEBD81-F6B3-45C4-B7BC-1D26A67DF62E.jpeg
    41EEBD81-F6B3-45C4-B7BC-1D26A67DF62E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 112
Reactions: sdj
Back
Top Bottom