NASCAR 2016 - BOLD Prediction Thread - The Final VOTE

Which of these is the most BOLD prediction of 2016?

• Dale Earnhardt Jr will go winless in 2016

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Chase elliott gets 7 top fives in 2016

• Joey Logano makes the final four this year, Martin Truex Jr. doesn't

• Danica will lead laps in more than 3 races

• Jimmie Johnson wins the 2016 Championship

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • A presidential candidate will sponsor a car in the Cup Series

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Austin Dillon makes the chase

• Tony Stewart will win a race this season

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
I took the top 8 vote earners overall for us to choose the Most BOLD prediction of 2016. Vote for the correct prediction from 2016 that you think is most deserving. You can change your vote at any time until the voting window closes in 7 days. Plead a case for one if you think it's deserving or against if you don't think it is. It may be just enough to sway someone's opinion. Good luck to the eight of you!

Chase getting 7 top 5's is actually deserving of some votes I think. That team didn't perform very well in 2015, he was a rookie in an extremely deep series with little seat time at a lot of the tracks, and nobody knew how he and Alan would work together. Lot of question marks but he sure did check them off quickly.

Chase getting 7 top 5's is actually deserving of some votes I think. That team didn't perform very well in 2015, he was a rookie in an extremely deep series with little seat time at a lot of the tracks, and nobody knew how he and Alan would work together. Lot of question marks but he sure did check them off quickly.

I agree with you on this one. I think Chase blew everybody's expectations out of the water. He had a rough summer, but overall had a very successful year.

I had to go with the Tony Stewart prediction. Tony hadn't won a race since June 2nd, 2013. There was absolutely nothing that pointed towards him wining another race, even in this, his final season. Also, the prediction was made without promise of him even running a race this season due to his injuries. That's a BOLD prediction in my book.

I think that Chase's performance in 2016 was commendable, as was Johnson's, obviously.

Predicting that Junior wouldn't win a race was bold, but the fact that he missed half the season is a major reason the prediction came true.

But considering how gawd-awful Stewart was in 2015 (0 wins, 0 top 5's, 3 top 10's, average finish of about 25th, and a total of 24 laps led), predicting that he would win a race in 2016 was pretty damn bold.

2016 Bold Predictions_A.jpg

2016 Bold Predictions_B.jpg

I had to go with the Tony Stewart prediction. Tony hadn't won a race since June 2nd, 2013. There was absolutely nothing that pointed towards him wining another race, even in this, his final season. Also, the prediction was made without promise of him even running a race this season due to his injuries. That's a BOLD prediction in my book.
Yeah that one easily got my vote as well

I voted for Jimmie's Championship win. He won his seventh in a format that is designed to discourage multiple wins. If this format stays I believe that a three cup championship career is going to be the best to expect.

I voted for that one . Tony's win was such a fluke . But that 24 team did a heck of a job with a rookie driver .

I went with Jimmie's championship simply because of the crapshoot nature of the way the championship is determined, it's almost impossible to predict now based on year-long performance.

I predicted Jimmie would win the championship, but to make mine bold I added in 8 wins lol I fell 3 short :confused:

I voted for Jimmie's Championship win. He won his seventh in a format that is designed to discourage multiple wins. If this format stays I believe that a three cup championship career is going to be the best to expect.
I just can't find anything bold about predicting a 6-time champion will pick up his 7th. As long as Chad and Jimmie are married, the #48 will be a championship threat.

Tony's win for the win.

Predicting a Tony win wouldn't be a BOLD prediction in itself. Throw in the fact that at the time the person making the prediction doesn't know that Tony is even going to race again in the series due to a burst fracture of his L1 vertebra...... That's what makes it BOLD.
Even if he KNEW Tony was gonna' make every race.... that was bold....

Looks like a little JJ envy going on up in here.

I don't think any predictions about a certain driver winning/not winning a race should ever be considered bold. The 4 restrictor plate races notwithstanding, there is always the chance of an upset winner with fuel mileage races.

Predicting a driver will lead *this* many laps or lead laps in *that* many races is also not bold. A monkey could stay out under caution and lead a lap in all 36 races.

Dillon, Logano, and Truex are all formidable drivers and it should come as no surprise to anyone if either of those 3 make the Chase. Also, with how close the competition is these days it should also come as no surprise if none of them make the Chase. Just a few Buescher-like wins could eliminate top-tier drivers from Chase contention.

A rookie (who has shown tons of promise in lower series') driving in a top-tier ride that is inherited by a legend should be expected to perform well. I'm more shocked that Elliott didn't win multiple races or receive more top-5's than he actually did.

Is it really a surprise that a Presidential candidate would sponsor a car during an election year? I would think the opposite would be more surprising.

With all that said...my vote goes to Johnson for winning his seventh championship. The odds were stacked against him as only 2 drivers in the history of the sport have accomplished what he has accomplished. Plus the competition in this era is much closer and the luck factor plays a more important role in determining a champion than in previous decades. Still, even that isn't exactly a bold prediction in my book. Something better would have been "Johnson wins his seventh title with his only race victory during the season occurring at Homestead" or something along those lines. (I know that wasn't the case...just giving an example).

... The odds were stacked against him as only 2 drivers in the history of the sport have accomplished what he has accomplished. ...
The odds were astronomically against him when he had no championships at all at the start of his career.

When you already have 6 under your belt, you only need to win one more. Anybody out there have the championship odds from the start of the season? Those are the ones that count.

With all that said...my vote goes to Johnson for winning his seventh championship. The odds were stacked against him as only 2 drivers in the history of the sport have accomplished what he has accomplished. Plus the competition in this era is much closer and the luck factor plays a more important role in determining a champion than in previous decades.
Some of the votes are "against" JJ and not "for" the other predictions. It's understandable and happens every year. The main reason I really like this game is to see what outlandish guesses come true and which ones fall flat.
Thanks again for doing this every year @dpkimmel2001 :cheers:

But considering how gawd-awful Stewart was in 2015 (0 wins, 0 top 5's, 3 top 10's, average finish of about 25th, and a total of 24 laps led), predicting that he would win a race in 2016 was pretty damn bold.
Then he goes and gets injured missing the start of the season upping the difficulty factor (I considered requesting to change my prediction at that point).

Some of the votes are "against" JJ and not "for" the other predictions. It's understandable and happens every year. The main reason I really like this game is to see what outlandish guesses come true and which ones fall flat.
Thanks again for doing this every year @dpkimmel2001 :cheers:
Fun to do although it can be a PIA sometimes. The simpler the prediction, the easier to keep track of. We started getting away from that. 90 predictions was a milestone this season. Great turnout. Still disappointing that many of the board regulars don't take the time to make a prediction though.

I just can't find anything bold about predicting a 6-time champion will pick up his 7th. As long as Chad and Jimmie are married, the #48 will be a championship threat.

Tony's win for the win.
I did it for fun, kind of the whole of point of playing "games", but picking someone to win the championship , doenst matter if it is JJ or someone else is very bold with the current Chase format, I mean, look at what happened to JJ last year, a $10 part cost him a chance to make it to Homestead, look at this year, some the better teams for 2016 did not make it , it is very much a crap shoot , therefor, making it a bold prediction.

There is no guarantee's in racing, JJ was not guaranteed to get number 7, Tony was not guaranteed to get a win this year.

I don't think Tony went out and won a race but he was in a great position to be given a race much like Cope got a 500 win.

Joe Gibbs used it referring to football.

I use it for matches.

It's well worn.

The odds were astronomically against him when he had no championships at all at the start of his career.

When you already have 6 under your belt, you only need to win one more. Anybody out there have the championship odds from the start of the season? Those are the ones that count.

I agree . When the odds makers come out with the potential champion for next year , Jimmie will be at the top again . Not a prediction , but who else can they put as the odds on favorite ?

Back
Top Bottom