NASCAR Admits Scoring Error

BobbyFord

Secret Agent Man
Contributor
Vickers says NASCAR admitted scoring mistake: NASCAR admitted to #83-Brian Vickers that it made a mistake in placing the Red Bull Racing driver behind Dale Earnhardt Inc.’s #8-Mark Martin prior to a restart during the waning laps of the LifeLock 400 Sunday at Michigan International Speedway. For Vickers, that admission was important. Vickers said he had passed Martin two laps prior to the caution coming out. He believes he could have had a chance to win the race if he hadn't had to restart behind Martin. Vickers went to the NASCAR hauler after the race to talk to NASCAR officials. “They said, ‘We made an honest mistake – the 8 car [of Martin] was supposed to be behind you,’ ” Vickers said Tuesday during a NASCAR teleconference. “That’s all you can ask for. It’s like when a driver on the race track gets into you, it makes all the difference in the world if they call you the next day and say, ‘Man, I’m sorry. I messed up. I’m sorry. Let’s just move forward from here on.’ And I totally respect that. I’ve made many, many, many mistakes in my life, and I probably will make many more. The important thing is to just own up to it and move on.” Vickers ended up finishing fourth. “I was pretty upset by it and rightfully so,” Vickers said. “I wanted an explanation of why that took place. I felt like in a lot of ways it cost us a shot at the race. There’s no guarantees what would have happened, but it definitely hurt us.” So what can NASCAR do? Not much, Vickers said. “Unfortunately in our sport, and if I was sitting in the tower, I couldn’t do it any different – you can’t just call timeout and go look at the replay and sort it out,” Vickers said. “You look at a football game and they get a bad call on the field, they call a timeout and they look at the replay, they fix it, and they move on. That’s one call. For those guys, it’s 43 calls up in the tower; they have 43 positions to sort out every caution, not one. It’s a tough job, and they can’t just halt the race. They’ve got guys running out of fuel, the race is coming to an end, and it’s time to go green and get the checkered out there.”(SceneDaily)(6-17-2008)

OK, not to be conspiritorial, but where does electronic scoring and timing come in to this? Multiple loops around the track and they all failed? Hmmmm, I do electronics for a living, color me suspect. Duane:bsflag: Even if his transponder wasn't working, they'd know it.

OK, not to be conspiritorial, but where does electronic scoring and timing come in to this? Multiple loops around the track and they all failed? Hmmmm, I do electronics for a living, color me suspect. Duane:bsflag: Even if his transponder wasn't working, they'd know it.

Do you think it could all be part of NASCAR's conspiracy to get Jr. the win? :rolleyes: :eek:

Bobby, you obviously seem to think that quite possibly Brian might have won the race had he been ahead of Mark on that restart, or more likely, Matt should have won since he was in a Ford. I guess you forgot about Kahne who was behind Earnhardt and according to Kahne, his car was the best it had been all day there at the end. As to Vickers complaint, mistakes are made all the time in sports and when the game is over, the results are very seldom changed. The same can be said to Matt's complaint about the official who didn't get out of the way. You never hear so much crying in any of the other sports when an official gets in the way. It's always explained that the official is part of the field, or in this case, part of the track. A fuel mileage race is always unpopular to the drivers unless they are the recipients of the better results. I once witnessed a terrible working car that Bill Elliott was racing, probably a good 20th place car, win a race because he was the last to pit, and before he pitted, a caution came out. He was the only one on the lead lap and of course, they all lined up ahead of him for the restart, they were never able to catch him and he won. He got the trophy and the points and was very smiley at the end, knowing that it was shear luck that he won. But remember, mistakes are made by the drivers as well. As a Ford fan, I'm sure you will never forget Mark leading going to the white flag on a caution, but instead of making that last lap, he cut into the pits only to lose the race that was his. Ouch, that had to hurt.

In a related story...........
Joe Nemecheck thinks he could have won the race, but the sun got in his eyes, the suit rode up on him, and the rest of the drivers were "just drivin to fast......." lol

I was just funnin' :D

Actually, I was pointing out a really dumb excuse. I have no idea about reason or intent. What I really want to see is Kyle Busch pass the pace car, that would be another good one. LOL Duane

In a related story...........
Joe Nemecheck thinks he could have won the race, but the sun got in his eyes, the suit rode up on him, and the rest of the drivers were "just drivin to fast......." lol

in another realated story terry labonte said he could of won but half during the race he realized he had his foot on the brake.

Actually, I was pointing out a really dumb excuse. I have no idea about reason or intent. What I really want to see is Kyle Busch pass the pace car, that would be another good one. LOL Duane

If he does, will all of you people who were whining and sniveling about NASCAR "giving" Junyer the win be kirking out because Wild Thing wasn't penalized? ;)

There are plenty of times where the rules haven't applied to Junyer (Talladega 2003). This isn't one of them.

If he does, will all of you people who were whining and sniveling about NASCAR "giving" Junyer the win be kirking out because Wild Thing wasn't penalized? ;)

There are plenty of times where the rules haven't applied to Junyer (Talladega 2003). This isn't one of them.

There is a rule you can't pass the pace car.
Lil'E passed the pace car, not once but twice.
He was not penalized.
Therefore this is one of those times where the rules don't apply because it's Lil'E.

As to your assertion on Kyle, if Kyle passes the pace car and he is penalized will you say Nascar is playing favorites?

What is Nascar supposed to do now? Rescind the rule and let anyone who wants to pass the pace car? Then you have to ask how many cars can pass the pace car? How far ahead can they get? Can they lap the pace car?
If they jump up and down and stomp their feet and say we really mean it, you can't under any circumstance pass the pace car; it says so right there in the rule books then what should the penalty be if Lil'E passes the pace car the next time?
This is a whole bag of worms they opened and thankfully its not going away because it was so blatant that even the Lil'E fans know he got a gift.

He was not penalized.
Therefore this is one of those times where the rules don't apply because it's Lil'E.

As to your assertion on Kyle, if Kyle passes the pace car and he is penalized will you say Nascar is playing favorites?

What is Nascar supposed to do now? Rescind the rule and let anyone who wants to pass the pace car? Then you have to ask how many cars can pass the pace car? How far ahead can they get? Can they lap the pace car?
If they jump up and down and stomp their feet and say we really mean it, you can't under any circumstance pass the pace car; it says so right there in the rule books then what should the penalty be if Lil'E passes the pace car the next time?
This is a whole bag of worms they opened and thankfully its not going away because it was so blatant that even the Lil'E fans know he got a gift.

Maybe just Maybe he thought he was the lucky dog.:D

You must be a reporter, cause, once again you've missed the point. And besides, I'm not whinnin', I kinda like Jr. and am tired of the when is he going to win media, he has been running great this year, hence his place in the points. Is it clearing up for ya yet, Andy? LOL Duane

Prove it. Show me the exact rule in text, from NASCAR and from a reputable source. We've seen the rule quoted three different ways on here, but since you know it, now's your big chance to remove all doubt. C'mon big man. ;)

He was not penalized.

Tell me, oh wise one, how do you know more than NASCAR about their rules that they wrote?
notworthy.gif

So you, oh wiser than I, are saying there is no rule. If there is no rule why did they tell him not to pass the pace car? Why don't others pass the pace car? You're the one that comes on here trying to impress everyone on every subject that you know every thing. And you work for a race track, lord knows we've all heard that enough. Why don't you come up with the rule that says he can pass the pace car and that Nascar was just picking on him telling him not to do it again.

So you, oh wiser than I, are saying there is no rule. If there is no rule why did they tell him not to pass the pace car? Why don't others pass the pace car? You're the one that comes on here trying to impress everyone on every subject that you know every thing. And you work for a race track, lord knows we've all heard that enough. Why don't you come up with the rule that says he can pass the pace car and that Nascar was just picking on him telling him not to do it again.
They've told plenty of drivers not to do something again. :rolleyes:

So, I take this as you do not know the exact wording of the rule??? :confused:

Okay, well let me change my question then.

Tell me, oh wise one, why they didn't penalize Junyer?
notworthy.gif

He won a race, quit sniveling about it and deal with it. That's not going to be his last ever Spitcup win. We all already know you hate Junyer just like everyone knows I don't like Wild Thing. :rolleyes:

For the record, my understand of the rule was that they must let the pace car go back around them by the time they cross the start/finish line if they do pass the pacecar.

NASCAR says Junyer was maintaining pace speed. Since they have telemetry data and other data that you do not have, who the frick are you to say otherwise?

Oh, that's right, I'm sorry for questioning you since you are the wise knower of all things about everything.
notworthy.gif

They've told plenty of drivers not to do something again. :rolleyes:

So, I take this as you do not know the exact wording of the rule??? :confused:

Okay, well let me change my question then.

Tell me, oh wise one, why they didn't penalize Junyer?
notworthy.gif

He won a race, quit sniveling about it and deal with it. That's not going to be his last ever Spitcup win. We all already know you hate Junyer just like everyone knows I don't like Wild Thing. :rolleyes:

For the record, my understand of the rule was that they must let the pace car go back around them by the time they cross the start/finish line if they do pass the pacecar.

NASCAR says Junyer was maintaining pace speed. Since they have telemetry data and other data that you do not have, who the frick are you to say otherwise?

Oh, that's right, I'm sorry for questioning you since you are the wise knower of all things about everything.
notworthy.gif

No I don't know the exact wording but I'm sure you do. Oh wait you said your understanding of the rule so it sounds like you don't know it either.

As to why they didn't penalize Lil'E IMO that's as obvious as the nose on your face.

As to you telling me to quit sniveling and deal with it, please point to 1 post where I was sniveling about Lil'E winning either on this thread or any other current thread. Can't find one, can you? No my purpose in posting was to point out that maybe you don't know everything that you purport to know.

As to maintaining pace speed, that just shows how willing you are to bend over backwards to try and grasp at a point. For if he were maintaining pace speed then he couldn't have passed the pace car, which is what sets the pace speed and there would be no need for this discussion. But upon reflection I'm sure you'll say the pace speed is set by something other than the pace car.

You said "For the record, my understand of the rule was that they must let the pace car go back around them by the time they cross the start/finish line if they do pass the pacecar". So by that you're saying that a driver should choose a pit stall before the start/finish line. That way they can speed past the pace car, pit and then when the pace car comes around and crosses the finish line they can go back on the track. This would give them a lot more time in the pits than the way they currently do it. Maybe I should send that in to Chad to call Jimmie in using that strategy. See you're so much smarter than all the crew chiefs that has ever been in Nascar. You have truly missed your calling...

id4.gif

Vickers is going to win often sooner than later with that team, but in this particular case he was seriously jobbed.

Okay, for all you Jr haters, what are they supposed to do if someone breaks the rules? Black flag them right! How many laps are the drivers given to obey said black flag? How many warnings should they give before waving the black flag? And most of all, will you ever agree with anything that Jr does that is positive?

And before you jump on me for this post, just know that I felt the same way about his father so I know how you feel.

Back
Top Bottom