NASCAR and lodging issues.

BenzTech99

Team Owner
Listening to SiriusXM Nascar Radio today and they were discussing hotels around tracks (primarily Bristol) that raise their rates significantly during race weekends. Growing up in a resort ski area town I've seen this stuff go on first hand. Now I understand that these piddly little towns rely on these race weekends as their yearly income, but $300+ a night for a crappy hotel room to go to a race is the reason why families cant afford to travel to them anymore. Now I realize that NASCAR cant do anything about what these hotels charge, so here's my suggestion. Why doesnt NASCAR build its own hotels? Thoughts?

that would just lead to another thing to complain about with nascar

Listening to SiriusXM Nascar Radio today and they were discussing hotels around tracks (primarily Bristol) that raise their rates significantly during race weekends. Growing up in a resort ski area town I've seen this stuff go on first hand. Now I understand that these piddly little towns rely on these race weekends as their yearly income, but $300+ a night for a crappy hotel room to go to a race is the reason why families cant afford to travel to them anymore. Now I realize that NASCAR cant do anything about what these hotels charge, so here's my suggestion. Why doesnt NASCAR build its own hotels? Thoughts?

Speaking on BRISTOL only, camping is the only way to go. IMHO

Speaking strictly from the Business side of this, Supply and Demand is the cause for increases in Hotel prices, this is true for other sports as well. If you are the only guy with a widget that a lot of people wants, you can pretty well set your price as you want.

Speaking strictly from the Business side of this, Supply and Demand is the cause for increases in Hotel prices, this is true for other sports as well. If you are the only guy with a widget that a lot of people wants, you can pretty well set your price as you want.

Correct. My answer for people that complain about those hotel rates is that unfortunately, while youre upset about paying that amount, theres 5 other people that have no problem doing it.

How does camping there work? Do you have to have a special ticket to get in to stay and camp?

Go to Bristol Speedway web site and they have listings of camping in the area. When I go, I stay at Whites Camp Ground across the road from the track, showers,etc. If you go inside be mindfull if bringing a motor home, you will need lot's of leveling lumber in addition to the leveling devises on the coach.

Check the prices for a room on the beach at Daytona today. Then look at what they charge for same room during Feb speed weeks leading to the 500.
A waitress at the First Turn told us they use the same menu but one with higher prices during speed weeks.
WELCOME RACE FANS!

Thats what we do for 5 days at Homestead. Having an RV helps though :)

When I stated camping, that is an all inclusive statement of Motor coaches as well. I have tent camped once at Bristol and Motor homed 6 times, motor home be much mo better.

You spend 5 days in Homestead for the race? I live 152 miles from the track and will never go back, ever.
But, I am glad for you, seeing as how you enjoy it.:)

Go to Fontana. Stay in Anaheim by Disneyland. 30 minutes to the track--beautiful drive. No gouging during that time of year. Great hotels. Great prices. Come see me, and I'll buy ya a beer (offer valid only for the first Toyota fan). Love that place. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Fontana, but the nice hotels get filled up with teams pretty quickly. Stayed a floor below Hendrick 2 years ago. Rode the elevator with Pemberton, Kahne, and chatted with Knaus in the parking lot. Awesome experience.

used to work in the hotel reservation business for a major US chain...all their special offers were not valid when NASCAR was in town.

When I stated camping, that is an all inclusive statement of Motor coaches as well. I have tent camped once at Bristol and Motor homed 6 times, motor home be much mo better.

You spend 5 days in Homestead for the race? I live 152 miles from the track and will never go back, ever.
But, I am glad for you, seeing as how you enjoy it.:)

Wow why wont you be back? A big group of us goes with 3 RV's

Tracks in unpopulated areas have massive RV lots so there's not much demand for hotels (relatively speaking). Example:

Attachments

• The Sea Of Campers2.jpg
    The Sea Of Campers2.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 154
I think that some fans have unrealistic expectations when it comes to proximity to the track. As I mentioned, I have no issue with a 1/2 hour drive. To some, this is obscene. I wonder if those expectations are relaxed a bit, if the hotel prices become more reasonable. I'm guessing that they do.

How does camping there work? Do you have to have a special ticket to get in to stay and camp?
We have two campsites, side by side, for both the spring/fall Bristol dates @ The Landing Campground. It is owned and operated by the track. Probably one of the few campgrounds there that has level sites throughout. We pay $198 for two campsites/race weekend. Showers/shuttles to/from the track and shopping in the area. I wouldn't attend a race any other way than in an RV. I've met and made a lot of lifelong friends @ many tracks. Rookies Tailgate - NASCAR Camping is where it's at!

Last edited:
I can't understand how NASCAR could buy land around a track, erect a hotel, employee an unknown number of people in this hotel/motel and still offer a discounted rate. Not at a profit and that's what it's all about.

Correct. My answer for people that complain about those hotel rates is that unfortunately, while youre upset about paying that amount, theres 5 other people that have no problem doing it.
Yep.

As long as there are people that are willing to pay the exorbitant prices, they will continue to charge at that rate.

At the first Kentucky race we didn't take the RV because we were concerned about the new facilities. We stayed at a Hampton Inn 22 miles from the track for the regular rate. We had no trouble with traffic or anything else because we left the hotel at 8 am and after the race tailgated at the track until everyone had left. We've done this at different tracks, Atlanta, Daytona, Talladega, Texas, for various reasons over the years. and have had no real problems. As DP say's, leave for the track early, tailgate after the race and leave after everyone else. But nothing beats bringing the RV and staying for 4 or 5 day's and having fun. We've camped at about 90% of the races we've attended.

I think that some fans have unrealistic expectations when it comes to proximity to the track. As I mentioned, I have no issue with a 1/2 hour drive. To some, this is obscene. I wonder if those expectations are relaxed a bit, if the hotel prices become more reasonable. I'm guessing that they do.
I stay 25 minutes north of Watkins Glen right on Seneca Lake and it is perfect. The drive in the mornings through wine country right along the water is no sweat off my back.

With all the available property around Bristol, I still haven't figured out why Bruton hasn't built his own hotels near the track. If he did and kept rates the same as the rest of the year, the others would have to follow suit. It's ridiculous what they charge on race weekends, most have a minimum stay requirement.

What would they do with all the empty rooms the rest of the year? What other than the track or drag strip pull people into the Bristol area that would be keeping those rooms full? I really don't understand the logic behind this.

I stay 25 minutes north of Watkins Glen right on Seneca Lake and it is perfect. The drive in the mornings through wine country right along the water is no sweat off my back.

Right with you man. I use the drive to the track as a way to get amped, and the ride home to chill after all of the energy of the track. Anaheim to Fontana is actually a 40 min. or so drive, but with Cali traffic unwritten rules, you wind it up and go! 29 minutes 34 seconds is my record. When I stayed 15 minutes from the track, I waited in line to get in for 40 minutes anyway. I have heard people bitch on NASCAR Radio about having to stay 20 minutes from the track. Is the Glen a great experience? I am thinking about the cross country trek sometime.....

We have two campsites, side by side, for both the spring/fall Bristol dates @ The Landing Campground. It is owned and operated by the track. Probably one of the few campgrounds there that has level sites throughout. We pay $198 for two campsites/race weekend. Showers/shuttles to/from the track and shopping in the area. I wouldn't attend a race any other way than in an RV. I've met and made a lot of lifelong friends @ many tracks. Rookies Tailgate - NASCAR Camping is where it's at!

Ok, I would never in a million years have the money for an RV. Thanks for the info.

Right with you man. I use the drive to the track as a way to get amped, and the ride home to chill after all of the energy of the track. Anaheim to Fontana is actually a 40 min. or so drive, but with Cali traffic unwritten rules, you wind it up and go! 29 minutes 34 seconds is my record. When I stayed 15 minutes from the track, I waited in line to get in for 40 minutes anyway. I have heard people bitch on NASCAR Radio about having to stay 20 minutes from the track. Is the Glen a great experience? I am thinking about the cross country trek sometime.....
Haha! I will have to start timing myself in the future.

I personally love the Glen - the environment is great. I sit in the red, white, & blue section so I can see them diving into turn 1 and then haul the mail up the hill.... plus there is a huge screen right in front of us for the rest of the track....just being at a road course is fun. The best weekends were staying in the infield when they would run Rolex on Friday night, Busch on Sat. and Cup on Sunday. Now I like it a little less noisy but my new view isn't so bad (plus there's a bar) :D

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Haha! I will have to start timing myself in the future.

I personally love the Glen - the environment is great. I sit in the red, white, & blue section so I can see them diving into turn 1 and then haul the mail up the hill.... plus there is a huge screen right in front of us for the rest of the track....just being at a road course is fun. The best weekends were staying in the infield when they would run Rolex on Friday night, Busch on Sat. and Cup on Sunday. Now I like it a little less noisy but my new view isn't so bad (plus there's a bar) :D
photo-3-jpg.13786
I used to go there many years ago and sat in the same section. Back then I didn't camp. Are you camping there and if so, what section. I have camping questions for anyone that's been there.

I used to go there many years ago and sat in the same section. Back then I didn't camp. Are you camping there and if so, what section. I have camping questions for anyone that's been there.
It has been awhile but I believe it was section D or E that I stayed - right by the inner loop.

It has been awhile but I believe it was section D or E that I stayed - right by the inner loop.
That would be great but those infield spots are pretty expensive at The Glen. I was curious to hear experiences from the free section outside that back straight.

Also..... The red, white & blue section is 'The Place' to sit IMO. Nowhere can you see the entire track but that is a great view of turn #1 and the uphill section through the esses.

We stayed in Birmingham when we went to Dega which is an hour drive. We don't need fancy, so we stayed at a Motel 6 which only appeared to charge $15 more than the normal price. Took the main highway on the way in, but took side roads on the way back. We simply made sure to leave early and we had no issue. Don't like the expensive price of hotels? Stay an hour or so away. The drive ain't gonna kill ya.

That would be great but those infield spots are pretty expensive at The Glen. I was curious to hear experiences from the free section outside that back straight.

Also..... The red, white & blue section is 'The Place' to sit IMO. Nowhere can you see the entire track but that is a great view of turn #1 and the uphill section through the esses.
I'd be interested to hear about free section as well. When I camped (~15 yrs ago) it was something like $30 a site but that was not motorhome size lots so I am not really much help there.

Couldn't agree more about RWB seats - you can see the most racing and the most exciting race from that spot. Plus the exit of pit road is right there and when those guys and gal come cruising out to start their pace laps it literally gives me goose bumps.

I'd be interested to hear about free section as well. When I camped (~15 yrs ago) it was something like $30 a site but that was not motorhome size lots so I am not really much help there.

Couldn't agree more about RWB seats - you can see the most racing and the most exciting race from that spot. Plus the exit of pit road is right there and when those guys and gal come cruising out to start their pace laps it literally gives me goose bumps.
Try $350 now! :eek: And people pay it. That's not even a trackside view.

Not this guy though.

camping and nascar seem to go hand in hand

one thing i can say about camping among nascar fans is, in all the camping i've done at race tracks, i've never had anything messed with or stolen. at Bristol rv is left unattended while in race, unlocked, coolers of beer lined along the rv, everything for a race weekend in the wide open. never seen but 1 fight at a race (drivers not included) in over 100 races i've been to, and that was because they were both way past drunk. i've met a lot of good people camping, seen some stuff, nobody would believe if i told them, i still shake my head wondering how some of it was possible. but until you camp at a dega race, you haven't seen nothing. it worth going to just to camp even if you don't go for the race. there no way to describe what you see there but, WOW can you believe that.

anybody know what ky speedway charges hi $ motorhomes overlookin backstretch. ?

Ok, I would never in a million years have the money for an RV. Thanks for the info.
They're not all coach bus style jumbo luxury ones. We used to rent a little trailer pop-up thing when I was a kid. Renting one of those + campgroup space might be cheaper than the $500/night fleabag motel in Bristol.

Back
Top Bottom