NASCAR and the Coronavirus

Team Penske

Team Owner
That’s how you fund yourself and family.
I am a bit better off, living on my pension. Most people forced to be laid off because of the pandemic in this country will receive unemployment. Some people actually were smart enough to save for a rainy day.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
yeah each state is different. I just finished listening to the OK governor and all of his people. We are doing what the CDC recommends. We aren't a hot spot at this time but it is easy to think everybody is because of certain hot spots the news is focusing on. But yeah it still sucks

2 Sweet

Legend
May?

Nothing is going to be "good by May". Our fate was sealed when it was ignored and testing and tracing were suppressed for more than six weeks. Choices now are between bad (economic disaster) and worse (health care system collapse), and there is no end in sight. The stay at home orders are desperation measures to try to stall the transmission rate and keep hospitals from overflowing, and rather tame ones at that. It's being meted out gradually, the restrictions tightening, because people won't accept it at all once.

None of the public officials are even pretending May is an endpoint anymore.
Yeah, I've been trying to remain optimistic about this, hoping it'll be gone in a couple months and everything would be back to normal. I no longer feel that's at all realistic.

2020 is just plain F'd.

Mispeedway15

Team Owner
I am a bit better off, living on my pension. Most people forced to be laid off because of the pandemic in this country will receive unemployment. Some people actually were smart enough to save for a rainy day.
That’s the problem though, a ton of people are gonna get burned.

I’m just working from home so everything is going fine for me. But others are going to be so broke

KTMLew01

Team Owner
Brave people. My older daughter is a respiratory therapist. I fear for her safety.

They really need to redesign those damn masks. Remember my dad being on oxygen and the mask chewing the hell out of his nose. Why can't they use foam on the edges like motorcycle or ski goggles? Run the strap around the head instead of over the ears. I rode dirtbikes for years and the foam would keep dust out of your eyes. Surely it would seal well enough to restrict saliva droplets. But one problem is they aren't 100% certain of how it's transmitted. Latest thing I've heard is even talking & normal breathing may be spreading it.

KTMLew01

Team Owner

Team Penske

Team Owner
Latest thing I've heard is even talking & normal breathing may be spreading it
thus the reason for the distance rule, keep 6 feet apart and wash your hands very often. It is the idiots that are spreading this virus.

Nitro Dude

Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
I'm with you but imagine the money lost for the networks, the stadiums, the people with tickets that may have had to cancel things that weren't refundable
Networks and venues will be fine. It’s not ideal, but they’ll survive. A lot of conferences and schools, especially low- to mid-level, will take a hit though. A lot of them depend on the basketball fund distribution for a decent part of their budget.

The motorsport industry is going to take a big hit of this goes on for an extended period of time too, especially if it gets to the OEMs pretty badly.

Snappy D

2017 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor
Well looks as if the Olympics have been postponed to 21, if it hasnt already looks like NASCAR can take advantage of that gap that was going to be in the schedule due to Olympic coverage.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
FDA has approved those malaria drugs and they are working whooo hoo. They have been banned here in Okla. probably temporary the Gov said it is to protect from the hoarders I think he said it is used for Lupis patients.

gnomesayin

Team Owner
FDA has approved those malaria drugs and they are working whooo hoo. They have been banned here in Okla. probably temporary the Gov said it is to protect from the hoarders I think he said it is used for Lupis patients.
From what I've seen, chloroquine and remdesivir were approved by the FDA for "compassionate use". This essentially means they can be prescribed to terminal cases of COVID-19 even though they have not been through trials and received full approval.

Today the FDA approved a different anti-inflammatory drug for testing. It is thought that it could provide relief for pneumonia symptoms. Trials will start with possible approval "by summer".

Joker

#1 Harvick Fan
If Jimmie is unsure about his future, he'd be smart to use this as an excuse to unretire. Dude could get back into shape, get to 90 wins and maybe even win a championship.

gnomesayin

Team Owner
If Jimmie is unsure about his future, he'd be smart to use this as an excuse to unretire. Dude could get back into shape, get to 90 wins and maybe even win a championship.
Johnson is in fine "shape". He won't be getting any better over the course of this layoff. I think he's seen the writing on the wall and is ready for the next chapter(s), full 2020 season or not.

Mispeedway15

Team Owner
Johnson is in fine "shape". He won't be getting any better over the course of this layoff. I think he's seen the writing on the wall and is ready for the next chapter(s), full 2020 season or not.
Yeah Jimmie wants to do IndyCar. It’s glaringly obvious

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
From what I've seen, chloroquine and remdesivir were approved by the FDA for "compassionate use". This essentially means they can be prescribed to terminal cases of COVID-19 even though they have not been through trials and received full approval.

Today the FDA approved a different anti-inflammatory drug for testing. It is thought that it could provide relief for pneumonia symptoms. Trials will start with possible approval "by summer".

I was listening to Pres Trump press conference and he said the FDA approved them (record time in history) and they gave them to a man in New York who had already said good bye to his family and friends. First dose he woke up, second one he was very much better.

aunty dive

Team Owner
Back into shape?

That’s pretty funny. I doubt that Johnson is unsure about his future.

aunty dive

Team Owner
Science-deniers embracing science. Of course.

In the meantime:

“An Arizona man died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate in an attempt to protect himself from becoming infected with the coronavirus. The man's wife also ingested the drug, and is currently under critical care.

The drug chloroquine is used to treat malaria, and some early research suggests it may be useful in treating COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.”

aunty dive

Team Owner
If anyone wants to try it, please do so with a doctor visit first. And his or her prescription.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
:idunno:
Coronavirus Victim, 52, Said He Expected To Die; Instead, He Says Hydroxychloroquine Saved His Life

StandOnIt

Farm Truck

In the meantime:

“An Arizona man died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate in an attempt to protect himself from becoming infected with the coronavirus. The man's wife also ingested the drug, and is currently under critical care.

The drug chloroquine is used to treat malaria, and some early research suggests it may be useful in treating COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.”
they took fish tank cleaner. There will be some Darwinians

Ilovedthe90s

Team Owner
Coronavirus Victim, 52, Said He Expected To Die; Instead, He Says Hydroxychloroquine Saved His Life

Only the doom and gloom crowd would bring up how this killed a man and how it makes one particular person look bad. I'm sure it will kill anyone if you snort it thru your nose even with a doctor's supervision.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Only the doom and gloom crowd would bring up how this killed a man and how it makes one particular person look bad. I'm sure it will kill anyone if you snort it thru your nose even with a doctor's supervision.
Even go as far a reporting a half truth with no link.

"Given the uncertainty around COVID-19, we understand that people are trying to find new ways to prevent or treat this virus, but self-medicating is not the way to do so," Dr. Daniel Brooks, medical director for Banner Poison and Drug Information Center, said in a statement.

A press release from Banner Health, based in Arizona, said the husband and wife, both in their 60s, took an additive called chloroquine phosphate used to clean fish tanks, to try to prevent coronavirus.

Within half an hour, both needed to seek emergency medical care. The man later died.

gnomesayin

Team Owner

The 52 year-old man was being treated at a children's hospital for a week and was given the drug half an hour after his friend told him about it via an IV when it is approved to be administered in oral tablet form.

I'm glad for his recovery.

aunty dive

Team Owner
Even go as far a reporting a half truth with no link.

"Given the uncertainty around COVID-19, we understand that people are trying to find new ways to prevent or treat this virus, but self-medicating is not the way to do so," Dr. Daniel Brooks, medical director for Banner Poison and Drug Information Center, said in a statement.

A press release from Banner Health, based in Arizona, said the husband and wife, both in their 60s, took an additive called chloroquine phosphate used to clean fish tanks, to try to prevent coronavirus.

Within half an hour, both needed to seek emergency medical care. The man later died.

Doctor.

Prescription.

Yeah ... I post half truths all the time.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck

In the meantime:

Forgot the part of the article that said it was it was fish tank cleaner they took. I'm sure it was an oversight on your part.

aunty dive

Team Owner
I got your attention. That was the point.

If a doctor treating me thought I needed it and wrote me a scrip for it I’d go to the pharmacy.

Top Bottom