NASCAR and the Coronavirus

AndyMarquisLive

Short Track Fanatic
The world has two options here.

Allow the economy to artificially come to a halt or allow an entire generation of people to rapidly die.

A lot of people are going to lose their jobs. A lot of people are going to file for bankruptcy. But they will be alive.
A recession is a survivable event*. Dying is not.

* Aside from the fact that people will commit suicide, die due to lack of healthcare, or die as a result of whatever conditions stress brings on.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Could the anti-malarial drug chloroquine treat COVID-19?

'They could work’: Coronavirus drug trials to begin in N.Y. state, Cuomo says

New York State is about to begin testing drugs for treatment of coronavirus, Gov. Cuomo said Sunday.

The feds have given the state 70,000 doses of hydroxychloroquine, 10,000 doses of zithromax and 750,000 doses of chloroquine. Testing will kick off Tuesday, Cuomo said.

“The president is optimistic about these drugs and we are all optimistic that it could work,” the governor said at a press conference. “I’ve spoken with a number of health officials and there is a good basis to believe that they could work.”

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
A recession is a survivable event*. Dying is not.

* Aside from the fact that people will commit suicide, die due to lack of healthcare, or die as a result of whatever conditions stress brings on.
More people’s lives will be ruined by the immediate halt of the global economy than will be ruined by the virus.

Somewhere there is a happy medium between limiting the spread of a disease that the vast majority of people will survive without lingering effects and destroying the global economy in less than a week.

shark77

Grab'n them by the *****!
I was listening to Pres Trump press conference and he said the FDA approved them (record time in history) and they gave them to a man in New York who had already said good bye to his family and friends. First dose he woke up, second one he was very much better.
Approved for clinical trials, not treatment for people outside the approved trial program. Also, the only study on this so far with COVID patients was on a group of 26 people, of which 4 ended up in the ICU and 1 died. Those are about the same metrics we’re seeing without it. We don’t know how effective it is until its been tested on a larger group for a period of time.

gnomesayin

Team Owner
More people’s lives will be ruined by the immediate halt of the global economy than will be ruined by the virus.

Somewhere there is a happy medium between limiting the spread of a disease that the vast majority of people will survive without lingering effects and destroying the global economy in less than a week.
Your "happy medium" is pure supposition, not based on anything empirical. I know it's an expression, but no solution will be a happy one.

We know nothing about the presence or extent of lingering effects a few months into this.

That said, I do believe difficult compromises will have to be made going forward, and I agree that many lives will be shortened and ended by prolonged economic shutdown. However, the incredible impatience being exhibited in some quarters when most of the U.S. is less than a week into any kind of shutdown is not encouraging. Not enough is being done by officials to address the profound economic insecurity facing tens of millions of Americans, and this is a problem.

10-4

Crew Chief
Several weeks ago I read an article not long before this coronavirus **** hit the fan about how the average American barely has $500 spare cash to weather any sort of unintended expense or crisis. A measly $500 is all most people can scrape up! And plenty of people who earn higher incomes $150,000+ don't manage their money any better. Most of them live large from paycheck to paycheck. So any of you thinking this thing will go all smooth and easy because most people will have unemployment or a retirement cushion. Wrong..

Our whole supply chain was a house of cards. It spooks me that our local Kroger here the shelves are over half empty in the entire store and look to be getting worse by the day plus they're rationing what little is there. Starving people will do some crazy ****!!! I hope it doesn't come to that but I never thought I'd see Soviet Union style grocery store shelves in the USA. It's crazy.

RacerrecaR

Orange cone
More frog-dissecting science.

While there is some truth to it, the downside is that inhaling hot air creates more problems by drying out the throat and sinuses which leads to an increased risk of bacteria buildup. Plus the added heat increases those risks tenfold.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Approved for clinical trials, not treatment for people outside the approved trial program. Also, the only study on this so far with COVID patients was on a group of 26 people, of which 4 ended up in the ICU and 1 died. Those are about the same metrics we’re seeing without it. We don’t know how effective it is until its been tested on a larger group for a period of time.
See post # 365 from the NY times. BTW do you have a link to your post above?

Nitro Dude

Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance

Kiante

Team Owner
NASCAR and every other form of motorsport on the planet will be financially devastated by this event.
During the off-time, businesses who sponsor still watch who interact with said brands.

Its just not NASCAR, all forms will be hit badly by these events. At the same time, this is where we as fans when the time come have to do our part in continuing to show interest in the sport and brands representing.

I cannot wait to get it going again. Until then, I still show a lot of interest in brands representing the sport. If, I can buy it on a repeating basis.

AndyMarquisLive

Short Track Fanatic
Serious efforts at cost-cutting should've been made a long time ago, and will have to be made now. Of course, when NASCAR tried back in the late-00s, the super teams fought them.

It might be time to rethink the four-car limit.

Team Penske

Team Owner
It might be time to rethink the four-car limit.
[/QUOTE]

In which direction do you recommend? 4 car teams dropping to 3? I think JGR, SHR and HMS are the only 4 car teams left. SHR could easily be forced back to 3 cars but expand their Xfinity team. JGR is maxed out. HMS actually could just not replace the #48 car.
Sponsorship will determine the reduction of other teams.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
We weren't exactly booming with sponsors before. You're right this will be devastating
not sure about the drama of devastating this isn't a sunami. Humans have the ability to adapt. I think it is going to be pretty interesting when it all shakes out. There is going to be racing, that I am sure of, it's in our DNA

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
Eldora Speedway donates nearly 3,000 facemasks to community
Working with friends in Shanghai (who had warned about the severity of the COVID-19 outbreak), Slack took delivery on 2,800 masks from overseas last week – after the Centers for Disease Control had recommended limiting gatherings to fewer than 50 people.

With Eldora Speedway remaining closed to the public (and its staff working from home since mid-March), Slack put out word in the region around the Rossburg, Ohio, dirt track that he would like to donate the masks to emergency workers who needed personal protective equipment. Within 30 minutes of contacting local hospitals and officials, all of the masks had been committed.

Slack said anywhere from 50 to 200 went to several local volunteer rescue squads that were rationing one mask per volunteer. More than 1,000 masks went to PremierHealth, which staffs Eldora’s infield care center with members of its Level 1 Trauma Center at Miami Valley Hospital and supports nearly every event with standby service via its CareFlight medical helicopter service.

“Nobody was greedy, they all just asked for whatever we could spare,” Slack told NBCSports.com

AndyMarquisLive

Short Track Fanatic
In which direction do you recommend? 4 car teams dropping to 3? I think JGR, SHR and HMS are the only 4 car teams left. SHR could easily be forced back to 3 cars but expand their Xfinity team. JGR is maxed out. HMS actually could just not replace the #48 car.
Sponsorship will determine the reduction of other teams.
No limit.

Joe Gibbs Racing already has five cars out there anyway :idunno: and it's not like this sport is exactly welcoming of potential new teams thanks to Rob Kaufmann. On top of having to buy up assets, a new team that tries to enter during this recession also has to buy a charter - if one's available.

aunty dive

Team Owner
not sure about the drama of devastating this isn't a sunami. Humans have the ability to adapt. I think it is going to be pretty interesting when it all shakes out. There is going to be racing, that I am sure of, it's in our DNA
Oh, look ... more references to drama

Meanwhile, the Tsunami rolls on.

aunty dive

Team Owner
As testing actually starts to ramp up, the number of new cases per day is doubling every 3 days. Down from 6 days.

Hunker down.

Top Bottom