NASCAR and the Coronavirus

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
As testing actually starts to ramp up, the number of new cases per day is doubling every 3 days. Down from 6 days.

Hunker down.
we have tested more in 8 days than S. Korea did in 8 weeks and they did a good job of it. So the numbers will be dramatic.

aunty dive

Team Owner
^^ On second thought, don’t bother. Here are some numbers that matter.

“When you control for population, the American response compares poorly. Its current tally of 359,000 tests per 327 million people comes out to about 1,084 tests per million. South Korea has run closer to 6,768 tests per million.”

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
Oh, look ... more references to drama

Meanwhile, the Tsunami rolls on.

Meanwhile, China hasn’t reported on new cases for over a week and citizens are oppressed for pointing it out.

Let’s not forget that testing capability in US was drastically increased this passed week and thats where a sudden spike formed.

Less “Tsunami” sensationalism, more dry facts please.

aunty dive

Team Owner
Meanwhile, China hasn’t reported on new cases for over a week and citizens are oppressed for pointing it out.

Let’s not forget that testing capability in US was drastically increased this passed week and thats where a sudden spike formed.

Less “Tsunami” sensationalism, more dry facts please.
Credit for the tsunami reference belongs to someone else.

Johns Hopkins University’s facts are bone dry.

gnomesayin

Team Owner
Few believe China's numbers. I favor throwing them out entirely if comparing. We can compare the U.S. to European nations somewhat more reliably. Most people who have been sounding the alarms on this for months believe that a great many more were infected and died than China admitted to. That should alarm us, not be used to dance around the severity of what we are facing.

During this same week of dramatically increased testing, there are still not nearly enough for the actual medical demand. In both New York and California, health agencies have revised testing standards to urge doctors to test fewer patients. They are advising that tests should only be done if they will significantly alter the course of treatment. Scores of ill patients with respiratory infections are being sent home untested. Sometimes they're dying untested.

Crises are also emerging all over the country in New Orleans, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, and elsewhere. The state of Washington, where the outbreak began, will not be in the top ten states with the most confirmed cases within a few days. This is due in part to their earlier awareness and earlier action.

Timing matters. Testing a bunch of people two months after it arrives is better than no testing at all, but it isn't nearly as valuable as testing and tracing in the initial weeks. A better way to dismiss the idiotic talking point that the U.S. has now tested more people than South Korea is that both countries had their first cases within the same day. South Korea tested and isolated 70,000 in the first month. The U.S. tested fewer than 400 and let the virus expand into every corner of the country.

Last edited:

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
Few believe China's numbers. I favor throwing them out entirely if comparing. We can compare the U.S. to European nations somewhat more reliably. Most people who have been sounding the alarms on this for months believe that a great many more were infected and died than China admitted to. That should alarm us, not be used to dance around the severity of what we are facing.

During this same week of dramatically increased testing, there are still not nearly enough for the actual medical demand. In both New York and California, health agencies have revised testing standards to urge doctors to test fewer patients. They are advising that tests should only be done if they will significantly alter the course of treatment. Scores of ill patients with respiratory infections are being sent home untested. Sometimes they're dying untested.

Crises are also emerging all over the country in New Orleans, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, and elsewhere. The state of Washington, where the outbreak began, will not be in the top ten states with the most confirmed cases within a few days. This is due in part to their earlier awareness and earlier action.

Timing matters. Testing a bunch of people two months after it arrives is better than no testing at all, but it isn't nearly as valuable as testing and tracing in the initial weeks. A better way to dismiss the idiotic talking point that the U.S. has now tested more people than South Korea is that both countries had their first cases within the same day. South Korea tested and isolated 70,000 in the first month. The U.S. tested fewer than 400 and let the virus expand into every corner of the country.
All true.

But the “let the virus spread into every corner of the country” is sensationalist. There is just under 90k confirmed cases and even if we jumped to 500k cases, that mark is still not even 0.2% of the US population.

The US test rate is about 1,048 tests per million and SK’s test rate is about 6,764 tests per million people. But not every citizen needs a test.

gnomesayin

Team Owner
All true.

But the “let the virus spread into every corner of the country” is sensationalist. There is just under 90k confirmed cases and even if we jumped to 500k cases, that mark is still not even 0.2% of the US population.

The US test rate is about 1,048 tests per million and SK’s test rate is about 6,764 tests per million people. But not every citizen needs a test.
I don't believe it is sensationalist in the context of containment, which is supposed to be the first objective of any pandemic response. If conducted effectively, it eliminates and / or reduces the need for all subsequent responses.

Geographically, the lack of early testing did indeed allow the virus to be spread into every state of the country. We now know that. Once community spread has been allowed to accelerate unchecked this widely, the testing becomes much less useful in terms of isolating and reducing spread.

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
I don't believe it is sensationalist in the context of containment, which is supposed to be the first objective of any pandemic response. If conducted effectively, it eliminates and / or reduces the need for all subsequent responses.

Geographically, the lack of early testing did indeed allow the virus to be spread into every state of the country. We now know that. Once community spread has been allowed to accelerate unchecked this widely, the testing becomes much less useful in terms of isolating and reducing spread.
7 states currently have less 100 cases & only 15 states have over 1,000 - with NY being the only state with 10,000+. These numbers are of-course expected to rise.

Even said, with all but 6 states in the US housing over 1M citizens, these numbers are still statistically very low.

I’ve seen news outlets light up an entire state when only a few hundred are reported to have the virus. That’s incredibly disingenuous. If we did the same for the 100+ that die of car accidents each day we’d have another epidemic on our hands but that statistic is “grandfathered in” to our society.

Don’t get it twisted. COVID-19 should be taken absolutely serious and the steps taken to mitigate the spread are mostly justified. This is a nasty virus that is currently far worse than the seasonal flu. I just don’t agree with the sensationalism around it.

Michfan

Team Owner
^^ On second thought, don’t bother. Here are some numbers that matter.

“When you control for population, the American response compares poorly. Its current tally of 359,000 tests per 327 million people comes out to about 1,084 tests per million. South Korea has run closer to 6,768 tests per million.”

That would be about 6 times more than us right? Mr drama was really trying to say we were out-testing them??

Mispeedway15

Team Owner
With us having such fewer deaths than Italy despite more cases isn’t that proof our healthcare system is superior?

Reactions: Pat

aunty dive

Team Owner
Apparently your resources are stretched rather thin at the moment.

This thing doesn't care if you're insured or un-insured.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
I didn’t say that. I said that our system of having most getting insurance through employer seems to be giving us more resources
If the medications they are trying work well, it could be a matter of a doctor's visit and prescriptions for most that get it.

MAGICMILER

Where's our seats?
90 days would be disastrous. More people out of work, through no fault of their own.If NASCAR cancels the season, I wonder if SMI would Honor my ticket package for Bristol this September at another SMI property next year...

Larsonfan1995

Team Owner
I was planning on making my first trip to Martinsville for the night race but I can't make myself buy a ticket. No way in hell that race happens on that date

KTMLew01

Team Owner
And yet auto repair shops are considered essential. Sorry. Not me. I'm 62 with a history of bronchitis and had pneumonia 4 years ago. Nope. I'm staying home. Only place I've been in 3 weeks is grocery store. Can't afford 3 months but also can't afford to get sick. Maybe they will do another $1200 welfare check. We all wait and see.

KTMLew01

Team Owner
90 days would be disastrous. More people out of work, through no fault of their own.If NASCAR cancels the season, I wonder if SMI would Honor my ticket package for Bristol this September at another SMI property next year...
Amazes me what some people consider a disaster. Me...having people dying would be my first concern. Racing will come back AFTER society has gotten back on its feet. Or not. It really is irrelevant.

MAGICMILER

Where's our seats?
By disastrous, I was referring to the high amount of healthy, living , unemployed people in the industry with a lot at stake. I wonder if those folks think it is "irrelevant "..

Speedbowl14

Ryan Preece and short tracks
Per Jayski Virginia has issued a stay-at-home order til June 10 (unless rescinded earlier). So unofficially add Martinville to the "postponed" list...

Nitro Dude

Hauler Driver and Cylinder Head Maintenance
Since the pandemic has me staying home I have been looking through a lot of you tube videos. This is not about Nascar but it is about racing up Pikes Peak and I thought maybe some of you might find it interesting since there is no racing going on right now or much NASCAR talk. Those racers must have a set as big as Dallas or a brain the size of a peanut to do this. And we thought Talladega was dangerous.:)

acmerocket

Team Owner
i got to go with a race team .i got to prerun to the top,i raced off road for 40 years,but i dont think i would do this.there alot of cool little towns close by,had a great time ,cool race to watch ,they let you camp along the course.

kkfan91

Taking a 10-200
Since the pandemic has me staying home I have been looking through a lot of you tube videos. This is not about Nascar but it is about racing up Pikes Peak and I thought maybe some of you might find it interesting since there is no racing going on right now or much NASCAR talk. Those racers must have a set as big as Dallas or a brain the size of a peanut to do this. And we thought Talladega was dangerous.:)
The thing I find amazing is it was on the IndyCar schedule in the 60s

Brentford

Team Owner
Hopefully if the season gets canceled, NBC refunds those of us who purchased NBC Trackpass. That, or they give us next season for free.

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
institute for health metrics and evaluation:

Use the pull down menu at the top and you can check your individual state information about hospital resource readiness, projected peak date, peak casualties, etc.
COVID-19 Projections

Reactions: Pat

10-4

Crew Chief
Except in the soviet union the supplies weren’t restocked.

The pipeline is still working. People are simply overbuying.
If you want to believe that it's ok with me but it doesn't make it so from what I can see. Here we are several weeks into this thing and there's still lots of empty store shelves and hard to find products/foods here in middle Tennessee.

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Looking at the Coca Cola 600 to resume. Good luck with that I would say.
This is highly optimistic and ambitious. Getting back to the track before the end of May is ambitious enough, five races in twelve days in one stretch seems brutal.

• May 24: Charlotte
  • May 31: Kansas
  • June 7: Texas
  • June 14: Sonoma
  • June 21: Chicago
  • June 27: Pocono
  • June 28: Pocono
  • July 1: Martinsville (Wednesday)
  • July 5: Indianapolis
  • July 8: Richmond (Wednesday)
  • July 12: Atlanta
  • July 15: Kentucky (Wednesday)
  • July 19: New Hampshire
  • July 26: Talladega
  • July 29: Homestead-Miami (Wednesday)
  • Aug. 2: Bristol
  • Aug. 8: Michigan
  • Aug. 9: Michigan
  • Aug. 16: Watkins Glen
  • Aug. 22: Dover
  • Aug. 23: Dover
  • Aug. 29: Daytona
  • Sept. 6: Darlington
  • Sept. 12: Richmond
  • Sept. 19: Bristol
  • Sept. 27: Texas
  • Oct. 4: Talladega
  • Oct. 11: Charlotte
  • Oct. 18: Kansas
  • Oct. 25: Las Vegas
  • Nov. 1: Martinsville
  • Nov. 8: Phoenix

Team Penske

Team Owner
Here is what your future should be like if you want to defeat this thing.

Top Bottom