NASCAR - Brian France - To-Do List

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Brian France gets up each day and puts his pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us. Only when he does it, he shapes our sport. What to do, what to do? What does Brian do all day long? Let's give him some constructive things to think about. What would you like to see done? Maybe it's on track changes or off track changes? Let's create a 'To-Do List' from the members of racing-forums.com and their compiled ideas for the sport. I'll try to compile a list of all of the ideas later on down the road and maybe create a poll to see what ideas make the final cut. From that, I'll post it into the NASCAR Fan Council site. Not that it will mean much of anything but hey, we have a week off here and a lot of time on our hands. There will be the obvious remove the Chase or Top 35 rules but maybe we can come up with something a little different that will make the races more fun to watch or attend. Sure, it'll turn into a bitch and complain thread but what thread doesn't? Who knows though, maybe it'll promote some good discussion.

Do me a favor..... Try to keep it to one idea per post but don't hesitate to post more than one idea in this thread. The more the better. Start you idea in it's own paragraph so I can cut and paste easier. It'll be easier for me to keep track of.

IDEA: Create a NASCAR app for all cell phone companies. - NASCAR has finally gotten their online rights back in 2013 after falling behind the times with Turner. I think that we are going to be seeing a lot of things happening on the digital/social media side of things on the internet. Give me something that I can follow the race on my phone. I'd like it to be something that I can use at or away from the track. Something along the lines of what is available through Track Pass. Real-time timing/scoring type info. Scanner feeds.

Oh great , a thread for Andy . He'll have hundreds of ways to turn it from Nascar Racing into Andy Racing.

Sorry , not a big fan of change.

Who knew?

Idea #1 (I got loads and loads of them, which is why Ted hates me ;) )

Start installing temporary kinks at turn exit on all momentum 1.5 mile tracks. Other series do this with their temporary road courses, so all the equiptment already exists. Doing it on an oval will require some work to extend the apron for these wide esses and feather the transition on and off the banking. Make the turn 2 S subtle and wide to avoid restart mayhem.

Why this is a good idea:

1) Creates passing zones.
2) Lessens the advantage of clean air.
3) Lowers speeds and requires shifting and getting on the gas.
4) Opens the door to much softer tires that fall off.
5) Softer tires mean guys can get back to driving their cars hard.
6) Softer tires will also creat more green flag stops.
7) Tire strategy will result in end of race passing.
8) Will create some natural yellow flags, which many people crave to add some excitement.
9) Teams will be forced to make setup compromises for one end of the track. This will result in some exciting battles that last many laps.

If that idea didn't make some of these boys puke, here's some #2 for ya'.

NASCAR implements camera and audio feed system that ties multiple car feeds together during a race. 1 swivel camera looking out the back and sides, 1 camera looking out the front and sides, with live audio feed from the drivers. EVERY car gets this setup. When the feed truck see's a battle going on, a mouse click on each car ties their cameras and audio feeds together for quick switching. Call it battle #1, and feed it full screen or side by side so fans can watch cars squeeze and bump and scream at each other by switching from one car to the other. Switch from car to car, along with driver audio, and point the cameras for the best view. 2 extra operators could handle each battle as they come up. Who cares if the battle is back in the field. Head to head racing is great to watch, but fans at home rarely get to see it. Mandate use of this system in all TV contracts.

Start installing temporary kinks at turn exit on all momentum 1.5 mile tracks.
I kinda think this would be a cool idea. Heck, what if they did this to a couple of these 1.5ers and only run one of their two races there under that configuration? Daytona is a great example that these configurations can coexist.

I kinda think this would be a cool idea. Heck, what if they did this to a couple of these 1.5ers and only run one of their two races there under that configuration? Daytona is a great example that these configurations can coexist.

That's what I'm thinking. If it works on 1 date, let ticket sales decide the format for the second date. Not Daytona though. Too fast, too much banking and too many fans love RP racing. I have a plan to bring back the pack, even though I don't like pack racing at all. There will be a touch of tandem racing though, and NASCAR can easily control how much they will allow on any given day.

That's what I'm thinking. If it works on 1 date, let ticket sales decide the format for the second date. Not Daytona though. Too fast, too much banking and too many fans love RP racing. I have a plan to bring back the pack, even though I don't like pack racing at all. There will be a touch of tandem racing though, and NASCAR can easily control how much they will allow on any given day.
By all means, entertain us but I'm telling you, if it involves removal of the rear window and/or some kind of electronic means of reducing power when making contact..... I'm ready for some drama. ;)

Good idea DP, like some of us mentioned before, I already send them some ideas about every 3 or 4 weeks on the off week when I dont get a form. Who can tell, maybe it will help make a point with one total list compiled and sent in from you . after all thats why we are members, trying to make a change.

By all means, entertain us but I'm telling you, if it involves removal of the rear window and/or some kind of electronic means of reducing power when making contact..... I'm ready for some drama. ;)

The cars are already limited electronically, so they'll have to get over it.

A baffle assembly with a motor and processor that splices into existing radiator shrouds that will close off air when activated. It's activated buy pressing a bar button attached to the front bumper, either inside our outside the nose piece. Depending on race temperatures, nascar will load race profiles into the processors memory through a USB port. Simple formulas will let nascar control how long a car can push by controlling how much and how fast the baffle closes AND how slowly it opens back up after the cars disengage. If the front end gets too damaged, nascar can allow a team to quickly disable the system with a USB dongle and race under a no-push rule.

Who knew?

Idea #1 (I got loads and loads of them, which is why Ted hates me ;) )

Start installing temporary kinks at turn exit on all momentum 1.5 mile tracks. Other series do this with their temporary road courses, so all the equiptment already exists. Doing it on an oval will require some work to extend the apron for these wide esses and feather the transition on and off the banking. Make the turn 2 S subtle and wide to avoid restart mayhem.

Why this is a good idea:

1) Creates passing zones.
2) Lessens the advantage of clean air.
3) Lowers speeds and requires shifting and getting on the gas.
4) Opens the door to much softer tires that fall off.
5) Softer tires mean guys can get back to driving their cars hard.
6) Softer tires will also creat more green flag stops.
7) Tire strategy will result in end of race passing.
8) Will create some natural yellow flags, which many people crave to add some excitement.
9) Teams will be forced to make setup compromises for one end of the track. This will result in some exciting battles that last many laps.
You already had that ready to post or you have a floppy disc in your skull. :cool:
Damn good idea.

#3 is very simple and solves a basic problem with contact racing nascar has ignored. If they weren't so consistant with the blinders, it would surprise me.

First, the problem. When the CoT came out, drivers were still leaning on each other and accepted some side by side contact as part of racing. Then the CoT's splitter started ripping the stems out of rims, and drivers had to end the leaning on each other because the results often were disasterous for one guy. The NW style splitter cover helped solves much of this, along with new stem design.

But one easy to solve tire shredding problem remains, the side pipe tire shredder. Anyone who feels that Jr's light contact with Jeff causing his tire to go flat is part of racing should stop reading now.

#3 NASCAR mandates that side pipes be cut back 2 inches. A spring steel plate with beveled openings and pipe extenders will be attached to the frame to prevent tire cutting, and once again allow drivers to lean on each other without risking disasterous results.

Now I need someone to explain why removing the rear windshield is impossible. I assume cars getting turned backwards is the real concern, but I think that can be solved. Working this out would be part of absolutely solving the entire aero issues, including side by side loose.

Good idea DP, like some of us mentioned before, I already send them some ideas about every 3 or 4 weeks on the off week when I dont get a form. Who can tell, maybe it will help make a point with one total list compiled and sent in from you . after all thats why we are members, trying to make a change.
It'll probably mean nothing but I am interested in reading ideas. We, including me, are always quick to identify what we think the issues are and we're even quicker when it comes to complaining about them but there's very little offered in making things better. There's always room for debate on this stuff. Heck, we're never going to all agree on anything but it's still fun to talk about it.

#3 is very simple and solves a basic problem with contact racing nascar has ignored. If they weren't so consistant with the blinders, it would surprise me.

First, the problem. When the CoT came out, drivers were still leaning on each other and accepted some side by side contact as part of racing. Then the CoT's splitter started ripping the stems out of rims, and drivers had to end the leaning on each other because the results often were disasterous for one guy. The NW style splitter cover helped solves much of this, along with new stem design.

But one easy to solve tire shredding problem remains, the side pipe tire shredder. Anyone who feels that Jr's light contact with Jeff causing his tire to go flat is part of racing should stop reading now.

#3 NASCAR mandates that side pipes be cut back 2 inches. A spring steel plate with beveled openings and pipe extenders will be attacked to the frame to prevent tire cutting, and once again allow drivers to lean on each other without risking disasterous results.
The bevel is gonna attack the frame? :confused:

A baffle assembly with a motor and processor that splices into existing radiator shrouds that will close off air when activated. It's activated buy pressing a bar button attached to the front bumper, either inside our outside the nose piece. Depending on race temperatures, nascar will load race profiles into the processors memory through a USB port. Simple formulas will let nascar control how long a car can push by controlling how much and how fast the baffle closes AND how slowly it opens back up after the cars disengage. If the front end gets too damaged, nascar can allow a team to quickly disable the system with a USB dongle and race under a no-push rule.
I've got a 'baffle assembly' going on in my brain right about now. ;)

Your idea is duly noted and will certainly be open for debate as the list is compiled but I gotta say it sounds far more complicated then just letting them race. I've always been under the impression that they should have left the two by two thing resolve itself. The evolution of restrictor plate racing has taken on various forms throughout the years and its time would have passed naturally. Personally, I think adding any more contraptions/gizmos to the cars is a bad move. Let em race however it takes to get to the end the fastest. These guys are pretty smart behind the wheel.

I've got a 'baffle assembly' going on in my brain right about now. ;)

Your idea is duly noted and will certainly be open for debate as the list is compiled but I gotta say it sounds far more complicated then just letting them race. I've always been under the impression that they should have left the two by two thing resolve itself. The evolution of restrictor plate racing has taken on various forms throughout the years and its time would have passed naturally. Personally, I think adding any more contraptions/gizmos to the cars is a bad move. Let em race however it takes to get to the end the fastest. These guys are pretty smart behind the wheel.

I'm with you dpk. I enjoyed the tandem racing, except the radio crap. Since nascar is set on controlling the tandem with engine temps, lets do it right so we don't end up with a spread out parade and steam engine racing. With a simple baffle system, guys could pack race all day long, but have the option to push to the front.

It'll probably mean nothing but I am interested in reading ideas. We, including me, are always quick to identify what we think the issues are and we're even quicker when it comes to complaining about them but there's very little offered in making things better. There's always room for debate on this stuff. Heck, we're never going to all agree on anything but it's still fun to talk about it.
I am adamant about very little on here because I know that ideas are just that, ideas, to be changed and formed into something usable if possible. You and a couple others on here come up with some very sane and usable ideas that myself and others appreciate. Wish I could find my fuzzy navel.

I am adamant about very little on here because I know that ideas are just that, ideas, to be changed and formed into something usable if possible. You and a couple others on here come up with some very sane and usable ideas that myself and others appreciate. Wish I could find my fuzzy navel.

Well, you grasp the idea concept. Perhaps we should put that on Brians to-do list.

Ever turn on a Nascar race and think to yourself didn't I see this last week? Chances are you did. 1.5 mile tracks litter the Nascar schedule. Atlanta, Las Vegas, Texas, Charlotte, ChicagoLand, Kansas, Kentucky are all 1.5 mile ovals. Throw in the 2 mile tracks at Michigan and California and the 2.5 triangle at Pocono and you have half of the Nascar schedule. If I'm Brian France this is the first thing we need to address. We need some race tracks.

Ever turn on a Nascar race and think to yourself didn't I see this last week? Chances are you did. 1.5 mile tracks litter the Nascar schedule. Atlanta, Las Vegas, Texas, Charlotte, ChicagoLand, Kansas, Kentucky are all 1.5 mile ovals. Throw in the 2 mile tracks at Michigan and California and the 2.5 triangle at Pocono and you have half of the Nascar schedule. If I'm Brian France this is the first thing we need to address. We need some race tracks.
5 Flags Speedway Pensacola Fl. The top 20 in points last race of the year and then we would see some boys have at it for damn sure.

Now I need someone to explain why removing the rear windshield is impossible. I assume cars getting turned backwards is the real concern, but I think that can be solved. Working this out would be part of absolutely solving the entire aero issues, including side by side loose.
How do you keep a car from being turned? I'd think that in any idea, safety should be the first and foremost consideration. Having an open window on the race car would be an invitation to trouble IMO.

I'm with you dpk. I enjoyed the tandem racing, except the radio crap. Since nascar is set on controlling the tandem with engine temps, lets do it right so we don't end up with a spread out parade and steam engine racing. With a simple baffle system, guys could pack race all day long, but have the option to push to the front.
I'm curious to see what these new cars test like on these restrictor plate tracks. I don't think it really matters how they line up front to rear. The trucks have been pushing too and they don't line up at all.

I think that these drivers would have been able to figure out a way to get beyond the two car tandems given time. Things always evolve.

Sane? I don't know about that. ;) I know we've all slept in a Holiday Inn Express a night or two before some of our posts, me included. We're all pretty sure of our fixes for this sport even though we're unable to put our ideas into practice.

Yeah, I'd say that two races at most of these tracks in one race too many. At least under the same configuration. I like Fender's idea of the kinks/chicane like what they use at the end of the back stretch at Watkins Glen would be cool. It would allow the same track to be used in it's original configuration and then in it's updated configuration on the return visit to the track.

On the other hand, it sure would be nice to see some new venues on the circuit instead of seeing them go by the wayside. Too much money involved in that happening. Who's going to give up a date or build a new track? I'd venture to guess that nobody would.

5 Flags Speedway Pensacola Fl. The top 20 in points last race of the year and then we would see some boys have at it for damn sure.

I love 5 Flags Speedway and pretty much any race there is worth the admission price. The Snowball at 5 flags and the World Series of Stock Car Racing at New Smyrna is what real racing is all about.

On the last lap if a crash happens, as long as it is not going to be passed by cars at full speed, race to the line. I hate having the field frozen.

On the last lap if a crash happens, as long as it is not going to be passed by cars at full speed, race to the line. I hate having the field frozen.
Again, noted and added to my compiled list.

I think they try to do that when they can. You gotta wonder though. If you have a crash and you have someone out there that may be in need of some help, and fast..... What's the best thing? They can't deploy those safety vehicles unless they have the field under control.

Great Topic! Should bring some interesting submissions...
I hope people respond. If nothing else it should open up some interesting debate. That is, as long as people don't mind their ideas being scrutinized. That's all part of it though. I think you have to look at the problems that may occur as a result of the solution.

Back
Top Bottom