"NASCAR COST ME THE TITLE"

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
Johnson: Trick shocks cost me the Cup
Jimmie Johnson said that when NASCAR took away the trick shocks that helped him win the second Chase race at Dover, it might have cost him the championship.

"Our deal with the shock was it wasn't a limiting device," he said. "It met the specifications, and NASCAR commended us for finding something so advanced and so good.

"But we had way too much time built into that. When it was taken away, we needed to get the aero attitude of the car back. How do we do it? Well, we knew everybody else was working with [spring] coil binding, so we said, 'Let's try that.' Then, we ended up on a path where we were searching two or three races into the Chase."

The trick shocks, which NASCAR admitted were technically legal, kept the rear of the car elevated while it was at speed. NASCAR essentially outlawed the shocks, saying they defeated the spirit of the rules that establish the maximum height for the back for the car.

Johnson said Thursday that other teams -- ostensibly, champion Tony Stewart's -- were getting the same result through coil binding, which he said is clearly illegal. Johnson did win a race after Dover (Charlotte), but he finished the season with finishes of 16th, fifth, seventh and 40th and wound up fourth in the points. (Cry me a river, would ya.)

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE JIMMIE A LOT. Get over it Jimmie and move on to 2006, PLEASE!

So now JJ knows exactelly what Tony's team was doing. Amazing. Maybe he should have payed more attention to his own team. And just when i was starting to like the guy he had to run his mouth again. Get over it JJ.

BobbyFord said:
What ever the reason, you knew it wasn't Jimmie's fault. It's never Jimmie's fault.

lol sureeeeeeeeee, man i like jimmie johnson but the guy whines like hell. :cool:

He basically said they relied too much on the trick shocks NASCAR took away.

The title of the post puts you in the wrong mindset even before you read it. Jimmie never said NASCAR cost him the cup, he said building and depending on the trick shocks they developed did.

It's fine guys, beat on the guy all you want - but at least do it because he wrecked people at Talladega, or legitimately whined about a race (which he does). This is him explaining one of the many reasons he and Chad flopped in the Chase this year. The cars were built and tested with the trick shocks, NASCAR took them away, and they had to head another direction - basically setting-up blind for each race. If you don't understand that, you're not much of a NASCAR fan anyhow.

- k y l e

Kyle48 said:
He basically said they relied too much on the trick shocks NASCAR took away.

The title of the post puts you in the wrong mindset even before you read it. Jimmie never said NASCAR cost him the cup, he said building and depending on the trick shocks they developed did.

It's fine guys, beat on the guy all you want - but at least do it because he wrecked people at Talladega, or legitimately whined about a race (which he does). This is him explaining one of the many reasons he and Chad flopped in the Chase this year. The cars were built and tested with the trick shocks, NASCAR took them away, and they had to head another direction - basically setting-up blind for each race. If you don't understand that, you're not much of a NASCAR fan anyhow.

- k y l e

I guess that shows they can't adapt to changes, or set up a race car normally like every one else......

Bucky Badger said:
I guess that shows they can't adapt to changes, or set up a race car normally like every one else......

Gosh...I forgot how EASY it is to perfectly set up a racecar. Just follow the directions on the side of the car for best results.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure most of 'everyone else' still finished behind Jimmie...

:cool:

Bucky Badger said:

there is NO normal set up for a racecar. every track, driver and racecar is differnt. It is not that easy to set up a track.

And i dont know why the title is in "" i did not see that quote in the artical at all.

Tony may have been running them springs, you nor i can prove or dis prove that. but i will say if you think your driver is not driving an illegal car then your in a fairytail, there is no such thing as a 100% legal racecar, and if there is your running in the back.

Kyle48 said:
I'm not clear- "everyone else"; are you referring to the four drivers that finished ahead of Jimmie, or the eighty-three that finished behind him in the final standings?
Good point Kyle.

Jimmie's biggest mistake was to have tire problems at the last race. Who wants to blame him for that?

bumpzter said:
Good point Kyle.

Jimmie's biggest mistake was to have tire problems at the last race. Who wants to blame him for that?

I will. He should have pitted before it blew out. At the awards banquet he still said the tire did not go flat, it just blew out....the guy just doesn't get it. Even Jay, the comedian, made fun about that situation.

kat2220 said:
Johnson: Trick shocks cost me the Cup
Jimmie Johnson said that when NASCAR took away the trick shocks that helped him win the second Chase race at Dover, it might have cost him the championship.

I think JJ has been taking lessons from his owner way too much, the guy can never admit when he was wrong ( JJ that is). It was him and his team that got beat, they beat themselves by trying to play mind games with Stewart. Who knows if he would of been ok if he pitted at Homestead before the tire blew, but one thing is for certain, JJ is not a Champion. He got beat pure and simple, all the shock issues.....GET THE HELL OVER IT.....move on accept defeat and try to come back next season and win WITHOUT BEING ONE OF THE BIGGEST WHINERS IN THE SPORT. I'm so sick of the whiners in Nascar, what ever happened to accepting defeat, saying you got beat by a better team and driver? These guys and i am being general here, not just directing this at JJ, seem to think that the sport owes them something. IMO they should be humble and thank their lucky stars they are where they are instead of complaining all the time about not being where they think they should be. IMO Johnson lost the Championship at DEGA with his all to frequent plate gaff. Move on JJ.

bumpzter said:
Good point Kyle.

Thanks, it's funny when the Haterade drinkers are faced with facts rather than blind track-rage how quickly they quiet down.

Firstly, I'd like a link to the article. I can't find it anywhere. I'm not saying Kat made it up, but it's mis-quoted right in this thread title. Jimmie never said "NASCAR cost me the cup".

"But we had way too much time built into that. When it was taken away, we needed to get the aero attitude of the car back. How do we do it? Well, we knew everybody else was working with [spring] coil binding, so we said, 'Let's try that.' Then, we ended up on a path where we were searching two or three races into the Chase."

Where exactly was he blaming anyone but himself and his team?

shadowflame said:
i understand you are a jj fan but get off him. we all know he made a mistake, now live with it.

Why you don't read the thread and look what the quote you're responding to was in response to? I'm living it with it just fine. Three years in a row in the final top-five, I'm living with it just fine.

mopardh9 said:
I think JJ has been taking lessons from his owner way too much, the guy can never admit when he was wrong ( JJ that is). It was him and his team that got beat, they beat themselves by trying to play mind games with Stewart. Who knows if he would of been ok if he pitted at Homestead before the tire blew, but one thing is for certain, JJ is not a Champion. He got beat pure and simple, all the shock issues.....GET THE HELL OVER IT.....move on accept defeat and try to come back next season and win WITHOUT BEING ONE OF THE BIGGEST WHINERS IN THE SPORT. I'm so sick of the whiners in Nascar, what ever happened to accepting defeat, saying you got beat by a better team and driver? These guys and i am being general here, not just directing this at JJ, seem to think that the sport owes them something. IMO they should be humble and thank their lucky stars they are where they are instead of complaining all the time about not being where they think they should be. IMO Johnson lost the Championship at DEGA with his all to frequent plate gaff. Move on JJ.

Again, Jimmie is blaming the team, and giving one of the reasons they didn't get the championship. Like i said, I want to see the real full article. Because there's many things in the original post that aren't quotes from Jimmie, but appear to be assumptions made by the author that are printed to look like Jimmie said them.

I'll say it again - if you want to bash the 48 team for the 'Dega debacle, whining post race about other guys driving 'too rough', or at least something non-fictional, fine. I like Jimmie, but he is guilty of it at times. However in this case the author puts a spin on the article that the Haterade drinkers will eat up, which the lot of you have.

The bottom line is, there's a very good chance Jimmie beat your guy, period. Hate on him for that. If you're a Tony fan, Biffle, Martin, or Edwards - feel free to reply telling me how much Jimmie sucks without reason to cite any fact other than the final standings. Note this - because until the checkered flag drops at Daytona; Mark Martin, Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle and especially Tony Stewart are better drivers than Jimmie Johnson, that's why we have a point system, that's why they compete. However, chances are your driver falls into the pack of eighty-three guys that no matter how ******, whiny, or dirty you think Jimmie is - scoreboard, kids. You got beat, suffice to say - again, for the third year in a row. At least hate on him for real quotes and being just plain better than your guy; not this fictional crap.

And as far as anyone saying Jimmie's not 'Champion material'. After a Kurt Busch championship reign, we don't have the luxury of ever saying that again. About anyone. And I challenge anyone here to tell me otherwise, because that's not about your favorite driver or mine. It's about our favorite sport's reigning champion acting like an ass all season long culminating with attempting to 'bigtime' a sherriff's deputy in the desert and subsequently being set free on a drunken driving charge due to malfunctioning hardware. From here on out - anyone is 'NASCAR Champion material'. Remember that when you're drinking the Haterade regarding Jimmie or anyone else on the circuit.

- K y l e

Relax, Kyle. You don't have to justify why you like him to anybody. Stick with him. Don't think you'll change anybody's mind anyway.

Hmmm, did I ever tell anyone that I didn't care all that much for Jimmie? Well I don't, but he's a pro and he's not a bad driver. There will always be people who like one driver or another and of course, there will always be those who don't like said driver.

My prediction is that Jimmie will become the next Mark Martin, always close but never reaching the top.

Now before all you Marky fans go off half ****ed, I'm talking about a Cup title. Mark will forever be in my mind the best driver never to have won the championship. Now he's got one more year to change that and I would love to see him do it and leave Jimmie in the dust.

(How's that for riling the fans of two different drivers?) :)

Ok have to clear the air here...i don't hate JJ, but he is still one of the biggest if not the biggest whiners in the sport ...period. So what if he finished in the top 5.... 3 years in a row, he still didn't win a championship did he? I tend to agree with Buck that he will become like Martin. Still remains to be seen, but JJ IMO needs to kick it up another notch before he gets his championship.

buckaroo said:
(How's that for riling the fans of two different drivers?) :)

Comparing Jimmie to Mark is probably the best compliment ever. I think, I have to, that next year is Jimmie's year. I'm looking forward to it, although if he were to carry himself as well, be as successful in other series as Martin, and leave Cup racing in even half the good standing Mark Martin will certainly leave with - Jimmie never holding the Cup title will pale in comparison to everything else.

If that's the scenario, I'll take it, any fan would be stupid not to. I mean, what's the option really? Being a Kurt Busch fan? Because he's the polar opposite of Mark Martin in all those aspects. I certainly prefer you guys bashing Jimmie for, at least NASCAR related incidents. :) Rather than driving drunk, verbally abusing the police, nearly killing innocent people on an Arizona highway, and acting like a complete ass for an entire season like we all owed him something.

If little else; even the Haterade drinkers rank Jimmie above Kurt 'Bigtime' Busch.

- k y l e

I wouldn't go that far KB is still a better driver IMO than JJ. I'd say JJ has him beat as far as personality, but not by much. I like neither driver by the way, i still believe they both have not gained the respect of the veteran drivers, of course this is just an observation.

Kyle48 said:
Rather than driving drunk, verbally abusing the police, nearly killing innocent people on an Arizona highway, and acting like a complete ass for an entire season like we all owed him something.
You wait a second, Kyle. Relax. Don't go overboard.

well said bump. i know i can say i dont care much for "JJ" or "KB". never have, probably never will. listed in a post someone was talking about rough driving and all that RACING stuff. who cares!!! rough driving is what makes racing what it is, an adrenaline rush. not knowing if you will hit or be hit, how you will finish, where you will be in the final standings(at the END of the year) that is racing. doing it cause you love it and thats what you know how to do. talking about who is cheating in this and that, well, thats all part of trying to win. if you aint trying to cheat even to the SMALLEST of margin, you aint trying. BUT, that dont make it right and eventually you will be caught. even if it is not really cheating like JJ and TEAM did, it is mearly trying to bend the rules and use the blank spots between as your advantage. no big deal there, i give him kudos for that like the rest who do it and will continue to do it. as for the whimpering and whinning that the younger guys as well as older guys do, give me a break, their supposed to be professional here. it happens everywhere and not just CUP. it happens in AMA, NHRA, F1, no matter where you go. the real professional thing to do is keep it off the air. i know i dont want to see a grown man crying because someone bumped me or i got cut off in the pits, or this guy beat me to the hole shot and tried to run me off the track, and my favorite, well there was something on the track and i hit it. well, if you and all the other drivers were going over the same spot, why were you the only one to have a blow out? PLEASE!!!

as far as KB, so freckin' what if he was unruley! thats what life is and always will be. if he was drinking, so, hes an adult. last i knew we adults can do that kind of thing. he got pulled over, they said he was drunk and unruley, then it was changed to unruley. i know i dont care if he was drunk. its his choice to do so. even if he is some big star in the CUP. and THAT is the ONLY reason you hear about it. i dont heaar about you, or you, or even you back there being pulled over and being un-just about a decision a cop made. wonder why? maybe cause thats what we as fans get off on is knowing every little detail that goes on in their life. i got a serious question: if you could follow the person you admire the most for a week, with them not knowing you were there, would you do it just to see how many times he/she messed up? and do you think they would do it to you? answer for them, NO cause they dont give a rats-arse about you! give them the money for replica cars, fan clubs and all the stuff. i have met several cup drivers, off the air, they are just as human as you and me. take Ryan Newman for instance, i worked with him when he was in USAC. awesome guy, totally awesome. he and his family are the best people i have met. i was invited to winchester indiana to help set up cars for test sessions. all expense paid! after that, we went to eldora and watched the races there. took a trip to 16th street at indy (for those of you who dont know, its a race track made inside of a baseball field). i have done this kind of thing with alot of poeple who have made it to the top. some of the things i can tell you, you would think i was making it up. well, i aint!!! but thats the greatness of being a true fan, enjoy someone for what they do on and off the camera's. i know i have. not criticising them for this and that. at least if it happens, keep it sensible. there is no need in hating someone for what they have done. it's life, and i got news for ya, IT HAPPENS!!! so calm down.
sorry for the ranting and ravin' guess i just had to vent :D

bumpzter said:
You wait a second, Kyle. Relax. Don't go overboard.

see that goes to show you how poor of a loser he is. cannot get over the fact that jimmie is not perfect, and it is obviously that jj is not the best driver there is..

The shock issuse still don't make since to me, i cant find "trick shocks" like he was running. A shock does not know if it is going 10 mph or 100 mph, just knows if it is flat or bumpy.

In todays day and age of racing in NASCAR you really can't say the driver is cheating, because most of the time they don't know what they are running them selfs.

Good post TaylorFan44, so very true, they are after all just human like the rest of us.

shadowflames said:
see that goes to show you how poor of a loser he is. cannot get over the fact that jimmie is not perfect, and it is obviously that jj is not the best driver there is..

The 'relax' comment was made in reference to the Kurt Busch statement, not Jimmie. The least you could do if you're going to attack me now is read the posts involved - or post something remotely based on fact. Instead of replying with "see, I told you so" statements to which you're using out of context. The statement was used as an example for any driver to be called 'not championship material' after Busch's reign is false. Anytime before Bush's debacle as Champion I would have stood right along with you in calling out certain guys as 'not championship material'. However, now - anyone can hold the cup. At least read what you're piling onto, instead of piling on just for the sake of a vain attempt of piling on.

I will comment on your out-of-context statement though; Jimmie isn't the best driver there is. Where was it that I said that? Go ahead and find that quote used in this thread. You can't, because it doesn't exsist, if you read what people posted instead of just typing for the sake of typing; you'd know that. With the current competitive make-up of NASCAR Nextel Cup - there's four guys that are better. It's the fans that can't stand Jimmie being in the top five year-after-year that are tasting the sour grapes here. It's evident in every post where he's mentioned.

- K y l e

to be honest with ya kyle48, i could care less where anyone finishes in the standings. it dont make a hill of beans to me. as long as they say they learned something from the past season and can or may improve, thats all i like to hear. someone learning more then they allready knew. if it helps them win the chase, great, good for them, what do they want? a cookie? this rambling on about different alligations is getting old. i believe what shadow is trying to say is that jimmie is a cry baby and looks for reasons and excuses he didnt run good. as well as saying that he(jimmie) has some major room for improvements in the future or whenever. calm down man, its just a matter of opinion. just as you have your right to express yours. BUT, is there any need in saying this: "Rather than driving drunk, verbally abusing the police, nearly killing innocent people on an Arizona highway, and acting like a complete ass for an entire season like we all owed him something" first off, were you there when kurt was driving, do YOU know if he almost killed anyone? dont think so... as for acting like an arse, well, thats all part of the game. i would rather see someone act dumb then be a whoos about anything. let it die. most of what is coming out of these posts is the same stuff. who really cares anymore? its all back and forth, worse then 2 old married couples fighting. did you(kyle) ever think that what is being said is just to rile you up? i know if i were here longer and knew you better and seen you get this heated, or anyone for that matter, i would probably do the same thing. just because you keep fueling the fire. point is, the more you reply to them, the more they will keep you going. get it? just let it go...:D its easier.

I guess I'm real confused, I thought to be "Championship" material you had to 1st score enough points to get into the top 10 for the Chase, then to score the most points by the end of the last race of the Chase?

If that's the case, Kurt Busch was certainly Championship material for 2004.

If you think Championship material is a popularity contest, then JR has won for the past 3 years.

kyle oh kyle why keep on?

.qoute onquote.
"Rather than driving drunk, verbally abusing the police, nearly killing innocent people on an Arizona highway, and acting like a complete ass for an entire season like we all owed him something."

dude nearly killing people on an arizona highway? i think you putting too much on that my notorious kyle.

now maditate on that and come back with an answer...that's all i've got to say to your reply to me.. i'll tell you though, respect and you shall get respect back.

because you see, that statement you made doesn't show that much. :rolleyes:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T and if you go back far enough, you'll find that I wrote a dissertation on that very subject.
Please, before one (anyone) makes a knee jerk reaction post, ponder the effect on others before hitting that "submit" button.

Back
Top Bottom