NASCAR could actually learn something from the NFL

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
So, I'm watching that Monday Nigh Football game last night and it comes down to that last play of the game. For those of you that did watch or were anywhere near a television this morning you know exactly how that game ended. If you want to debate that click here. The ending of that game caused me to wonder what exactly the rules were in the NFL given that situation. Low and behold a quick Google search of the term 'NFL Rulebook' took me to the following website. What I'm getting at is that there it was, the complete NFL Rulebook along with all of the 2012 additions. It is openly provided by the NFL for all to view/read. Why is it that NASCAR can't provide this? Perhaps many of you don't care at all to read it but I know I'd be interested in seeing it and reading it. It wasn't all that long ago that Jeff Gluck, I believe, released some of the info from the NASCAR Rulebook. For some, it brought about an uproar about how his remarks were somehow detrimental to the sport and opened it for ridicule. Yeah, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Anyhow I learned a little more about the NFL rules by reading some of their rulebook this morning. I'd like to do the same with NASCAR. How about it Brian?

Anyhow I learned a little more about the NFL rules by reading some of their rulebook this morning. I'd like to do the same with NASCAR. How about it Brian?

IMO, NASCAR likes to call it as they see it without being nailed down by written rules. Why? they don't apply their rules evenly. Never have, and never will while it's a family operation.

"In the opinion" seems to be a favorite phrase from the na$car techs. If the rule book doesn't mention it and you do it, and you run well, in post race insp you get "in the opinion yada,yada,yada." BTDT. appeal and the fine goes up, Bastages.

I think the rules are so foggy you wouldn't be able to see them . Nascar probaly woudn't stick to them anyway. Don't allways seem to be the same for all teams.

I hate to always bring this up, but here's a glaring example of uneven rule enforcement.

After wrecking 11 cars in the Daytona NW race while taking out a rookie driver, Carl Edwards intentionally turns a car backwards exiting a turn at NASCARS fastest track. This is an exceptionally dangerous move for a highly talented driver to execute in a premeditated fashion. Despite Carl clearly coming back on the track for the sole purpose of wrecking that driver, and video clearly showing not 1 but 2 attempts to wreck that driver, Carl is given just 3 weeks probation and BOTH drivers are told to give each other plenty of room.

Less than 3 months later, Carl Edwards intentionally runs into the back of this same driver at Gateway, nearly wrecking him. Later in the race, that driver finally retaliates by bumping Carl. Carls response is to intentionally turn that driver into the outside wall coming to the checker flag. The result is 11 wrecked cars and 1 driver sent to the hospital, and Carl yelling on hos radio "that was AWESOME". NASCAR's reaction is to put BOTH drivers on season long probation, clearly designed to protect Carl from retaliation during the chase. No points PENALTY or suspension for Carl.

Fast foward to last year during the truck race and Kyle wrecking Hornaday. Kyle gets suspended from ALL races for 1 week, which was finally the proper response to this insane wrecking for blood.

If rules were written against intentional wrecking, and yes the most dangerous are always very obviously intentional, NASCAR would have been forced to 1) Warn Carl after the NW opener at Daytona. 2) Suspend Carl for one race after Atlanta. 3) Suspend Carl for multiple races after Gateway, thus keeping him out of the chase.

Carl and Kyle were both money draws during the chase, so why the difference? NASCAR hinted it was because one was under yellow, the others under green. That's some lame logic. I say it was because Kyle had become a non-factor in the chase, and Carl was still trying to get in for that 10 race money payoff for NASCAR.

My point is that there is a book. The teams have it. The media have it. We should too. The rules aren't secret.

I hate to always bring this up, but here's a glaring example of uneven rule enforcement.

After wrecking 11 cars in the Daytona NW race while taking out a rookie driver, Carl Edwards intentionally turns a car backwards exiting a turn at NASCARS fastest track. This is an exceptionally dangerous move for a highly talented driver to execute in a premeditated fashion. Despite Carl clearly coming back on the track for the sole purpose of wrecking that driver, and video clearly showing not 1 but 2 attempts to wreck that driver, Carl is given just 3 weeks probation and BOTH drivers are told to give each other plenty of room.

Less than 3 months later, Carl Edwards intentionally runs into the back of this same driver at Gateway, nearly wrecking him. Later in the race, that driver finally retaliates by bumping Carl. Carls response is to intentionally turn that driver into the outside wall coming to the checker flag. The result is 11 wrecked cars and 1 driver sent to the hospital, and Carl yelling on hos radio "that was AWESOME". NASCAR's reaction is to put BOTH drivers on season long probation, clearly designed to protect Carl from retaliation during the chase. No points PENALTY or suspension for Carl.

Fast foward to last year during the truck race and Kyle wrecking Hornaday. Kyle gets suspended from ALL races for 1 week, which was finally the proper response to this insane wrecking for blood.

If rules were written against intentional wrecking, and yes the most dangerous are always very obviously intentional, NASCAR would have been forced to 1) Warn Carl after the NW opener at Daytona. 2) Suspend Carl for one race after Atlanta. 3) Suspend Carl for multiple races after Gateway, thus keeping him out of the chase.

Carl and Kyle were both money draws during the chase, so why the difference? NASCAR hinted it was because one was under yellow, the others under green. That's some lame logic. I say it was because Kyle had become a non-factor in the chase, and Carl was still trying to get in for that 10 race money payoff for NASCAR.
Simply translated if I am reading this properly.....

NASCAR integrity = ((NFL + replacement referees)*2)

My point is that there is a book. The teams have it. The media have it. We should too. The rules aren't secret.

My point is....yes they are, by design. NASCAR loves to say "each set of circumstances is different, so we don't react the same each time". No sheet. Now, they could define " set of circumstances" and make things more transparent, but that just opens them up to being questioned about motives.

My point is....yes they are, by design. NASCAR loves to say "each set of circumstances is different, so we don't react the same each time". No sheet. Now, they could define " set of circumstances" and make things more transparent, but that just opens them up to being questioned about motives.
Maybe they should click on that link I provided and do some refining to that book. It could definitely be good reference material for them.

Maybe they should click on that link I provided and do some refining to that book. It could definitely be good reference material for them.

Sorry, your first link scared me too much to try another. It led straight to an Andy debate. ;)

Unless you are the owner of a car in a na$car series the rules are secret. I'm not sure if the media, if they have it, obtained it legitimately.

Extremely difficult to make the call in most cases. Was it a bump to move the car in front or was it a attempt to wreck him?

Harvick sat out a cup race for spinning a guy under caution in a truck race yet I have seen other things happen that were much worse under green and the 'booth bozo's' call it a racing incident.

na$car is fast becoming like NEAR, New England Antique Racers where they take turns on who will win and absolutely no contact.

I'm still a fan but no longer the crazed fanatic I was just 10 short years ago. Life as most know it no longer ceases when a race comes on. My wife and kids would leave the house back then! I no longer watch a race flag to flag, I taped or now DVR them and fast forward through the "booth krap" and commercials.

The rulebook is handed out during the NASCAR preview weekend each year to the media. I posted pics earlier this year during their 'media day'.

There's a huge difference between writeing a rulebook for a stick and ball sport where the dimension of the feilds and equipment are set and none changing your basicly only writing rules for the Human element.Writing a rulebook for a sport that involves mechanical parts and pieces that are constantly evolving and being manipulated to increase performance, not to mention No two tracks are the same dimension or location and the other variables involved. For instance different tires and vehicle body style, engine designs etc.
Pretty much there's a supplement to the NASCAR rule book on weekly basis due to all the variables in the sport, would you like to be in charge of keeping all the information needed availible to the masses. Keep in mind if one person has incorect information involving your ever evolving rule book in this day and age of mass media and ease of communication wether correct or incorrect you Have a Problem.
BTW you can apply for a NASCAR license and receive the rulebook.

Speaking of last nights Fiasco game Did the NFL make the Right call? Did the fans go home knowing who Really Won that game, do they agree if they did?

NFL vs NASCAR? Not easily compared or even possible to compare in my opinion.

Speaking of last nights Fiasco game Did the NFL make the Right call? Did the fans go home knowing who Really Won that game, do they agree if they did?

NFL vs NASCAR? Not easily compared or even possible to compare in my opinion.

NFL has published rule book on internet - NASCAR doesn't.

We know it's painfully easy, because dpk just did it. If he can do it, anyone can. ;)

There's only one rule in the NASCAR rule book that everybody needs to know.......All rules are up to interpretation by the officials. :D

BTW you can apply for a NASCAR license and receive the rulebook.
Has it changed? Last I knew it was the owner that got the rule book for the series they were planning to run after you paid a kings ransom to na$car and registered your car/number. I'm not sure if driver/crew got a book relating to them? Rule book I got was generic as far as safety items then it went into specifics for the series. Last book I got was in 2002 for trucks so maybe it's different now?

Per Jayski.....

How can someone get a NASCAR Sprint Cup [or Nationwide or Trucks] Rules Book?
Only teams, drivers, NASCAR Officials can get a Sprint Cup rules book. NASCAR does not sell them and I can't get them for anyone. You can join NASCAR, last I heard it was $400, see 1st question above on ways to contact NASCAR

Rules and Guidelines
NASCAR issues five different Rule Books, each of which includes in its title reference to a particular NASCAR-sanctioned series. There is a NASCAR Rule Book for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, a NASCAR Rule Book for the NASCAR Nationwide Series, NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series, NASCAR Regional Touring Series and NASCAR Weekly Racing Series. Each NASCAR Rule Book is published exclusively for NASCAR members.

I can also tell you that during the NASCAR Media event that they held this past January, it was mentioned by many media members that the rule books were available as they walked into the event. They were out on the table for them as they walked in. One of the media members took a picture of them that I had posted some time ago. The only pic that I have of them now is the following.

AmSjNTjCAAIw9RG.jpg

Yes, they exist and they are printed. If they have been printed, they have been entered somewhere. If that's the case, they could be posted for all to see.

I tried to read it a coupla years ago and went blind for 12 hours, not worth it.

As of tomorrow night it may well be. I've hear rumors NASCAR may be hieing all the unemployed replacement refs and putting them to work in the scoring tower for the rest of the season.
So, what you are saying is, I still have hope for Jr. to win this Chase?

Back
Top Bottom