"NASCAR" could be for sale

Admittedly, it could be nothing more than speculation, but it's interesting that a local news station in Charlotte is talking about it.

SMI: "No comment."

Anybody find anything substantial in that story? A couple of quotes from Humpy with 200% of my daily recommended allowance of Vitamin IF.

Anybody find anything substantial in that story?
Nope, nothing at all. Just a reporter making unsupported comments. Another reporter being asked his thoughts. An ex track president with nothing more than his usual spiel. The two parties that the story is about either not commenting or making a flat out denial. Damn right there's something to it!

Rumors start with someone hearing a sentence or comment and speculating while another hears the speculation and adds something to it. Billion dollar deals are usually done behind closed doors and take years to finance.
I think Brian has to be removed before any party will admit to even discussing this.

I don't see any of these scenarios playing out, but honestly, the best thing that could happen at this point is ISC buying out SMI, which would give ISC/NASCAR far more freedom to make track and schedule realignments. Not saying they wouldn't make a complete botch of it, but the POTENTIAL for some good things would be there.

There is nothing in the article of substance, but I'd love to see Nascar split apart from ISC. The cozy, incestuous relationship between the sanctioning body and the tracks is at the root of many of the sport's problems. It's very difficult to innovate when the tracks gain so much from the status quo, IMO.

I've said it many times before, but in my opinion, the worst thing to happen was for ISC and SMI to become public companies. That in of itself puts severe constraints on how you operate, and hampered the sport from making the changes needed to stay relevant. Since that genie likely won't be put back in the bottle, ownership of almost all the tracks by one entity would be the next best thing in my opinion. In the current climate, I don't see ANYBODY not already in the race track business wanting to buy race tracks.

tumblr_inline_nk6s5w2XH51r0xdmr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom